Hi Introduction

Big D

My handle is Big D. (Much smaller now). I lost over 300 pounds after the surgery.

I have had so much differing information I gave up on labs until recently. I think the challenge has been balancing the DS procedure with hypothyroid problems. Your website has been pretty helpful in getting answers... To be honest, it has been better than the medical providers I have seen...

I've lost confidence in doctors... I've just lost faith in their ability to communicate. I went in for a laparoscopic hernia - they thought it was supposed to be non-laparoscopic so my pubic area was shaved... They showed me the consent form and someone else had initialed it... I woke up during the ds surgery... and now won't EVER let a doctor induce sedation or sleep... I asked for my FMLA paperwork to just be very general... Then, of course, the area of surgery and the surgeon's name was disclosed... Since the surgeon only does one type of surgery it did not take long for it to spread that I had weight loss surgery... Not the end of the world but I would have preferred to disseminate the information instead of it being overheard through HR. (That department really needs full office walls instead of cubicles).

Welcome. Sadly, most surgeons are lousy at post-op instructions. And it is sad that you became the topic of the grapevine. All that aside*, you'll find support and knowledge here.

*Not to demean your problems, yet I hope you'll find what you need here to move forward from your disappointments.

Welcome Big D

My husband and I are hypothyroid as well. What has help both of us stabilize that medication is to take it during a middle of the night pee run.

Congratulations on losing 300 lbs.

As far as vitamins and lab work, make sure you get it a minimum of yearly from the list posted here using the generic or Dr. Rabkin’s list. If you need help adjusting, we will help. Many of us adjust our own after lots of learning from the vets who are ahead of us.

Hello and welcome, Big D

have you considering taking a different nickname? 300 pound loss means Much Smaller D. but that doesn't really roll off the tongue. :sneaky:

I've lost confidence in doctors... I've just lost faith in their ability to communicate
so true and so sad. not WLS related but I've had some bad experiences with doctors and I have avoided regular medical care my whole adult life as a result. in fact, starting with a new doctor this week and I dread it.

sorry to hear people didn't keep your healthcare information private. :thumbsdown:
I woke up during the ds surgery

OMG :eek: that is terrifying!

we are glad you are here & you're right, a great place to talk about your labs. :)

Hi and welcome Big D ! Glad to hear all that stress is behind you and you've lost so much weight! :) Things appear to be looking up!

Welcome. Sadly, most surgeons are lousy at post-op instructions. And it is sad that you became the topic of the grapevine. All that aside*, you'll find support and knowledge here.

*Not to demean your problems, yet I hope you'll find what you need here to move forward from your disappointments.

Thanks. I do want to get back on track.

Welcome Big D

My husband and I are hypothyroid as well. What has help both of us stabilize that medication is to take it during a middle of the night pee run.

Congratulations on losing 300 lbs.

As far as vitamins and lab work, make sure you get it a minimum of yearly from the list posted here using the generic or Dr. Rabkin’s list. If you need help adjusting, we will help. Many of us adjust our own after lots of learning from the vets who are ahead of us.

Thanks. My labs are going to be checked next week. Currently the only vitamins I take is the dry powder GNC Women's Ultra Energy drink. I'm male but women's vitamins contain more iron. I saw the labs online but haven't reviewed them with the doctor yet.

I am going to get a compound pill from a compounding pharmacy for the areas that I am deficient in (vitamin d and the calcium) and try to bring the other areas closer to the mid range.

Hi Big D! Sorry you're having troubles. Much simpler than getting a compounding pill would be to take the "dry" D, A, and K that you can purchase easily through Amazon or from the manufacturer (Bio-tech). It's best to take them separately anyway, as that allows you to adjust how much you take of one without screwing up another. And I've been down the road of compounding pharmacy in the past for a dog with a seizure disorder that didn't respond to standard meds, and if you don't really need to go that route it will make your life simpler. Probably less expensive, too.
There are other online companies that sell these vitamins, and sometimes they even have sales. For your multi, any good multi will work fine. I use Costco's brand for that. You can also find calcium citrate everywhere, including Costco, just make sure you know your dosage - a dose is usually 500 mg, and each of those big pills is only 250 mg, so you need to take 2 per dose. Or, you can do what I do, since I have trouble swallowing pills, and get the chewables or lozenges from Bariatric Advantage. More expensive, but easy to take.
So you do have options, and really, once you get into a routine it's not difficult at all, just part of your day, like brushing your teeth. Many people have surgons who don't provide adequate advice on these supplements, so you are not alone, and you will learn what works for you.

You can also find calcium citrate everywhere, including Costco, just make sure you know your dosage - a dose is usually 500 mg, and each of those big pills is only 250 mg, so you need to take 2 per dose.
Be careful tho. Costco has their own calcium citrate but it has B6 added. And for some reason, DSers can easily go toxic on that.

Latest posts

Back