Hi from Indiana

Autumn Fire

I had a lap band in 2006 and never did great with it. I lost about 50lbs of the 120 I needed to. That was my fault. Then in 2010 I almost died because of the band. With the vomiting during my pregnancy the band perforated my stomach. (Yes the band was empty) I ended up in septic shock, emergency surgery, then kidney failure. By the grace of God and my family I survived and have a beautiful son. My surgeon told me to wait a couple years before having WLS again. At the time I thought I'd never consider it again but I find myself heavier than I've ever been and unable to do all the things I want to with my 4 year old. I have been doing a lot of research and am going to pursue a DS here in Indiana with Dr. Inman. I am in the very early stages of this. I'm waiting to hear from my insurance about coverage and talk to the program director since it would be a revision. It's nice to have a site like this available. :)

Hi and welcome!

Please don't blame yourself for "your" failure with the band. The failure rate with the band is high and the reoperation rate is the highest of any bariatric surgery, partly due to complications as with you, and often due to failure. We see people revising from the band to other operations all the time. You are not alone.
I think you will find the DS a completely difference and far more successful experience than what you endured with the band. And this site can give you a wealth of info and support.

Hi Autum Fire,

I am revising from a band to DS this Wednesday. This site has provided a wealth of information. Good luck on your journey!

Tina

Welcome! I couldn't be happier with my DS. Taking the vitamins beats taking the prescriptions I used to have to take by a long shot.

I'm glad your surgeon got the band out earlier and you've had time for you stomach to heal. Many get the band thinking it's "reversible", but seem to be unaware that it causes damage which is NOT reversible. Revising to another surgery at the same time as he band is removed does seem to contribute to problems, so it's great that you were able to give your stomach some recovery time.

Welcome and I too am a Band to DS Revision. I had complications that started at my first fill for my band and that caused esophagus spasms, acid reflux and a hiatal hernia. I spent years in hell with my empty band and then I heard about the DS and started pursuing my revision, which did not happen till I moved back to Ohio and found Dr. Inman. Life without my band is wonderful and I love my DS. You will find this group has many great people for advice, help and knowledge.

Latest posts

Back