Hi, Everyone

On FB, she confused everyone by calling it experimental. After talking most of the evening, I finally figured that out.

She had Dr. Peter Crooke from USC. But she wasn’t at USC but at the County hospital cause her group of 50 were, as she put it, poor and all over 350 lbs. of the 50, she’s now the only survivor as I suspect they were sent home with no education on what to eat, required vitamins or even much of an explanation as to what the DS was. At this point she no longer has access to her operative report. It sounds like Country was experimenting with the DS. And we all know that our lifestyle is expensive for someone on a very limited income. Currently her D is in the toilet but she didn’t know of the proper D needed.

I got her here to learn, get as healthy as she can.

Hmmm, in 2003, I think Keshishian was part of the USC group, though there may have been little or no follow up. I find it difficult to believe that 49/50 who had the DS 18 years ago would have died without that being noticed - many may simply have been lost to follow up.

Also, IIRC, the USC hospital IS where the early bariatric surgeries were done. At that time, Gary Anthone was also part of the practice. Katkouda (?) and his antipathy towards the DS drove Keshishian and Anthone away.

Hmmm, in 2003, I think Keshishian was part of the USC group, though there may have been little or no follow up. I find it difficult to believe that 49/50 who had the DS 18 years ago would have died without that being noticed - many may simply have been lost to follow up.

Also, IIRC, the USC hospital IS where the early bariatric surgeries were done. At that time, Gary Anthone was also part of the practice. Katkouda (?) and his antipathy towards the DS drove Keshishian and Anthone away.

Not sure... but this article by Anthone may describe the USC trial... it was written too early to asses that 49/50 mortality... he writes favorably of the proceedure in 2003... also the number is different.. this study was 10 years long an had 701 DS surgeries

Conclusions:
The longitudinal gastrectomy with duodenal switch is a safe and effective primary procedure for the treatment of morbid obesity. It has the advantage of allowing acceptable alimentation with a minimum of side effects while producing and maintaining significant weight loss. These results are achieved without developing significant dietary restrictions or clinical metabolic or nutritional complications.

Latest posts

Back