Hi all! Researching revision options in IL

Trilla

Hi

I had a RNY in 2005, lost >100lvs, life happened and I gained 50. My stoma is enlarged. I am researching revision options in IL.

Had a doctor that told me my only option is a band. I really don't like that option. I've heard DS and SIPS are very risky. Just trying to figure things out and find an experienced doc to help me.

Hi and welcome!

Well first, that doctor lied to you. You do have other options. Which is aside from the fact that the band is far and away the least effective bariatric surgery available, has the highest rate of need for reoperation, etc.

You will need to find a surgeon experienced with revisions. It's true that any revision surgery is going to be higher risk than your first operation, but then again, with an enlarged stoma you have, in effect, no tool to help you lose or maintain your weight loss, and there is risk associated with being MO as well. Your options include attempting to fix your stoma, which may or may not work permanently (the first one didn't last, did it), or revising to the DS. I would NOT recommend revising to SIPS, which would carry essentially (just minus the second anastamosis, which is the least risky part of the DS anyway) the same risk as to the DS but is experimental and long term results are not well established.

I don't know if the DS surgeons in Chicago do such revisions or not. Definitely Dr. Ayoola in Denton, TX, does them, also Dr. Boyce in Tenn. If you are up for more travel - and in this type of situation travel is often necessary - Dr. Keshishian in Los Angeles or Dr. Rabkin in San Francisco. There are a couple of others.

The most important thing at this point is to carefully research ALL your options and make sure your surgeon is experienced with the type of revision you decide on. Oh, and don't fall for the endoscopic attempts to fix enlarged pouches and/or stomas. They don't work, and I have yet to see anyone get them covered by insurance because they don't work, so you will just be out about 10K and no better off.

Hi Trilla and welcome!

Had a doctor that told me my only option is a band
I've heard of band over bypass but it's hardly the only option. since I have been reading WLS forums since 2007 (at least) I would recommend no revision to any band so I hope that wasn't your current doctor!

I have a VSG only, not a DS, but I know the idea that it is riskier is just wrong. I also know if you can revise to a DS you can also revise to a VSG only. not saying you should, just that it's another option.

honestly, how can surgeons be so wrong? :eek:

Hi

I had a RNY in 2005, lost >100lvs, life happened and I gained 50. My stoma is enlarged. I am researching revision options in IL.

Had a doctor that told me my only option is a band. I really don't like that option. I've heard DS and SIPS are very risky. Just trying to figure things out and find an experienced doc to help me.

The doctor is telling you the only option he can do or the only option he knows about. Stay away from the band. Keep researching.

Welcome Trilla, sounds like we had the same issue. Rny in 2003 lost 130lbs, stoma enlarged so had a giant tube for a stomach I love how Larra stated "no tool to help you lose or maintain your weight loss," which is what happened to me I gained all my weight back. Fast forward to 2018 revision performed 2-4-18 rny to DS, Dr. Simper in SLC. I am now down 70ish lbs it has not been easy but I WILL get to goal!! I had a rough recovery but I made it through and am very happy that I did the revision.

congrats on the weight loss and making it through.

did your insurance deny you when you requested the revision?

Latest posts

Back