Here I go...

So I just wanted to share a little of what's been going on with me the last 10 weeks since surgery.

It always have to be an oddball, lol. When I first got home I couldn't tolerate water much at all, no matter the temperature. Really the only drink that set well was hot tea. I would make 2 cups at a time and drink it from a glass. If the tea even cooled to room tempature I couldn't drink it. The only thing I could drink cold was the Premier ready-to-drink protein shakes. I struggled to get the bare minimum in a lot of days and did have to go to the ER for a couple of bags of fluids. I just told them I had bariatric surgery and wasn't getting in the required amount of fluids and my surgeon felt I was dehydrated and to come in for fluids. It was easy peasy.

I have had some nausea everyday since surgery. I had to have dilation done at three weeks out but even after that continued to have some nausea . Which at first I thought I ate too fast, I ate too much, or didn't chew well enough and so on. As days went on I ruled those out by no eating as much, eating slower, etc. I then was in contact with the surgeon's office and that's when we started the medicines. We tried zofran, phenegran and then reglan. Of course the zofran and phenegran didn't bring relief. The reglan got rid of the nausea right away. I know some have had bad reactions with reglan and I let my DH know to watch for the reactions I was aware of. A week ago, three days after starting it, is when I awoke with the reaction to reglan. My whole face was swollen, I couldn't hardly see out of my eyes. I of course stopped the reglan immediately and back came the nausea. I was eating things I was very used to that I knew would cause the least amount of nausea.

Wednesday evening I was running around with my daughter. She wanted an ice cream cone so we got her one. I tried a sample of the sugar free ice cream that they had. We hadn't made it out of the parking lot and I knew I was going to vomit so I pulled over and just had the foamies a couple of times. It was about a 15 minute drive home. When we got home I was so thirsty and I wanted some water, ice water. I couldn't get enough water. I drank 3 glasses before I stopped. Since then I have had no nausea, no trouble getting fluids in and it doesn't matter what the temperature is and I mostly have been wanting and drinking ice water.

I don't know how or why all things decided to be right with my body at the same time but I am so thankful it did.

I did have the opportunity to weigh this morning and have lost 40lbs! That's an average of 4 lbs. a week and I am so very happy about that.

My nausea issues also ended suddenly, after eating some picked ginger at a Japanese restaurant on day 31. I was MISERABLE before then (and not taking an effective PPI and no anti-nausea meds - didn't realize back then that those could be problems). Our bodies are amazingly complex and confusing and individual.

The take away lesson for newbies is, if you are miserable, hang in there - try different things, in particular if your body is "suggesting" that it might help - you never know what could make the miseries go away, but eventually, they will.

Terri,

Congratulations on 40 pounds lost *forever*!!!! Well done! Thanks for sharing your journey! I'm so happy that your nausea has abated. It is not an easy road, but the end definitely makes it all worthwhile. :thumbsup:

Terri,

Your story sounds similar to mine except it took me much longer to tolerate water - like a year! I still don't do very well with it.
I was also nauseated for the first 6 weeks or so.
I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling like you've turned the corner now -- congratulations on your first 40 pounds!!

:)

Latest posts

Back