Help!! Hemoccult problems

Susan in Tennessee

I had an appointment 1-18 with my PCP, only to find her last day was 1-17! Sooo, I saw a doctor who was filling in (he was the supervisor over three offices so I knew I was in trouble!). Surprisingly, he was nice and it went ok. We talked of my surgery a little but since my doctor was gone I had mentally decided to find a new place so I didn't waste much effort trying to educate this boss man I'd never see again.

He told me he didn't feel the hemoccult tests were of much value that a colonoscopy was the way to go and he also said the cologuard tests, or whatever they are called, were beneficial. He didn't give me a hemoccult kit. Later that day his nurse called and said he wanted me to come pick the cards up and do the tests. Growl, growl, ok. I did.

Today, I get a call summoning me in rather than mailing the labs to me as boss man also said was a much better way to do it. I went in, and of course a difference Dr. went over results with me. My B12 was high, as if I didn't know, my D was high which about made me faint! It was 134 with a lab range of 40-100.

His real concern was that all three of my hemoccult tests showed positive for blood. I immediately asked if my Bariatric surgery and the fact that I ate lots of red meat and our malabsorption component, etc but he said no. I was rather shaken and he proceeded to say I needed a colonoscopy and if that was good then a GI scope, etc. To see where blood was coming from. I glazed over at that point and told him I needed to research who I wanted to be referred to and I'd call them with my choice.

Of course I was really thinking, I've got to talk to "my people" about this, that's y'all by the way :D.

Ok, they gave me no instructions on not eating certain things before the hemoccult so I just did them. I can't remember what I was eating those days but it for sure was lots of red meat. I was trying to read up on what could give false positives and I read of red meat, some fruits and veggies, and then I also read that heme iron polypeptide such as Proferrin is that I've been taking 3 and sometimes 4 a day of, might cause a false positive.

Please, if anyone has any information either firsthand or ideas I'd love to hear it.

I'm sure I'll be having a colonoscopy and for some reason this freaks me out. My SIL had one a few years ago and she swears she was in excruciating pain the whole time but was unable to tell them so.

It seems I remember reading (either here or in a FB group) that some DSer s have trouble getting cleaned out and contrary to it taking less time it takes some people longer!

Oh, I forgot, other labs that would point to blood loss or anemia did not do so he said. I have a copy of what they ran, it is just the basics.

Thanks,
Susan

I hope you find your answers, Susan. I wonder if you made an appt. gastroenterologist and brought your lab results if he/she could answer these questions for you. I had a colonoscopy with my RNY and it was really no big deal. The gastro was very informed about bariatric procedures in general. There was no embarrassment, no pain, I was out like a light, and then I was awakened in the recovery room. That said, gastros do like to perform colonoscopies on everyone once you hit a certain age so I doubt he/she would say you do not need it. No matter what, do not opt to have it done while you are awake!

I hope you find your answers, Susan. I wonder if you made an appt. gastroenterologist and brought your lab results if he/she could answer these questions for you. I had a colonoscopy with my RNY and it was really no big deal. The gastro was very informed about bariatric procedures in general. There was no embarrassment, no pain, I was out like a light, and then I was awakened in the recovery room. That said, gastros do like to perform colonoscopies on everyone once you hit a certain age so I doubt he/she would say you do not need it. No matter what, do not opt to have it done while you are awake!
That's what I'll be, out like a light! My sister in law was supposed to be out too, and was as far as being unable to move or speak but she felt the pain. She said she thought she was going to die. She was very traumatized.

And yes, many of us take longer to get cleaned out. A couple of days before start going to liquids, avoiding any with red or orange flavoring or dye.
Thanks, Liz, I'll do that. Someone, maybe Spiky Bugger, also mentioned needing to or wishing they had started with drinking the "drink" sooner than directed.

So, our DS anatomy does not change anything about doing s colonoscopy, correct? Nothing where they will be working is diffrrent, "they don't go that far up" it seems I remember someone explaining.

Thanks, Liz, I'll do that. Someone, maybe Spiky Bugger, also mentioned needing to or wishing they had started with drinking the "drink" sooner than directed.

So, our DS anatomy does not change anything about doing s colonoscopy, correct? Nothing where they will be working is diffrrent, "they don't go that far up" it seems I remember someone explaining.

Yup. My directions were to begin the "purge" drinks at, I think, 4 p.m. And that it would all start to work within a couple of hours. I didn't trust that, so I started at 2:00 p.m. It started working at 1:00 a.m. and I didn't think I would make it to the hospital without turning a Lexus into a porta-potty.

I'm going to remember that. I might have more questions when I get something lined up. Oh, wait, I know there are different type preps. Any suggestions on what kinds are best or anything to try to avoid?

Thanks for the help!

And yes, many of us take longer to get cleaned out. A couple of days before start going to liquids, avoiding any with red or orange flavoring or dye.
That's what I do. I get these pretty frequently because my body likes to manufacture polyps and tumors and such. The prep is the worst part, the procedure is - well, I can never remember. My gastro reminds me that Vegas rules apply - what happens in lower g.i. stays in lower g.i.... Best wishes!

I had a similar experience when I had a colonoscopy. I felt so much pain during the procedure and when I told them about it (yelling) they did nothing to stop the pain. I hope I never have to have another one. I hate when male doctors don’t believe me when it comes to pain. I have a high pain tolerance but sometimes it is hard to put me out.

I had a similar experience when I had a colonoscopy. I felt so much pain during the procedure and when I told them about it (yelling) they did nothing to stop the pain. I hope I never have to have another one. I hate when male doctors don’t believe me when it comes to pain. I have a high pain tolerance but sometimes it is hard to put me out.
Unfortunately after 50, it's a minimum of every 10 years and some are on the 5 year plan.

I've been lucky I guess, the three I've had so far, they only used twilight type sleep. I actually watched it on the monitor once. But other than pressure, it hasn't actually hurt.

I
this makes me cringe thinking of it, im so sorry this happened to you. Me, being a redhead, have read articles that sometimes anesthesia works differently on us. So just something else to worry about!

Latest posts

Back