Hello

I'm a hopefully future revision from a failed and removed lapband to the Duodenal Switch.

I'm happy to have found this forum!
Hi and welcome @Mermaid. You'll find a wealth of quality information and genuine support here. Looking forward to following your journey!

@southernlady. Oh, I forgot about him.
Hi, I'm sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm looking into getting surgery with Dr Dakin and wondering if anyone has any experiences to share? He already did my gallbladder separately and I was considering sleeve, but now leaning towards DS, but he is my preferred surgeon and would like to stay with him if I can. Any feedback from anyone?

Hi, I'm sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm looking into getting surgery with Dr Dakin and wondering if anyone has any experiences to share? He already did my gallbladder separately and I was considering sleeve, but now leaning towards DS, but he is my preferred surgeon and would like to stay with him if I can. Any feedback from anyone?
We only dealt with Pomp (he's my husband's surgeon) and it's been 6 years since we've seen him.

Hi

Welcome!
I'm getting a revision from an rny to a ds and all docs in NYC - Pomp, Dankin, Inabnet, Bessler - like to do the DS as a two step surgery. Meaning the do the sleeve first and, if needed, six months later will do the intestines.

This is the only way they will do any revision but I got the sense that's how they often approach virgin DS surgeries as well. If that's true, make sure your insurance pays for a two step surgery.

My empire bcbs would not cover the second surgery because they consider it two separate surgeries and you have to wait two years between wls procedures and still have to have a bmi over 40.

Also, some policies don't cover "conversions" and going from a sleeve to a DS after the initial surgery is a conversion by my policy.

Dr Dankin seems to have good reputation in the general wls community. I thought he was nice, supportive and wanted to give me a great outcome.

Best of luck!

Hi

Welcome!
I'm getting a revision from an rny to a ds and all docs in NYC - Pomp, Dankin, Inabnet, Bessler - like to do the DS as a two step surgery. Meaning the do the sleeve first and, if needed, six months later will do the intestines.

This is the only way they will do any revision but I got the sense that's how they often approach virgin DS surgeries as well. If that's true, make sure your insurance pays for a two step surgery.

My empire bcbs would not cover the second surgery because they consider it two separate surgeries and you have to wait two years between wls procedures and still have to have a bmi over 40.

Also, some policies don't cover "conversions" and going from a sleeve to a DS after the initial surgery is a conversion by my policy.

Dr Dankin seems to have good reputation in the general wls community. I thought he was nice, supportive and wanted to give me a great outcome.

Best of luck!
Thanks for this Dawn. I'm not too keen on doing it in two steps, I really think it will just slow this down and make it harder than it needs to be. At this point, my choices seem to be between getting the traditional DS with Dr Dakin (if I can convince him to do it in one go) or getting the SIPS/Loop with Dr Roslin. So hard to decide between them at this point. :frown:

Thanks for this Dawn. I'm not too keen on doing it in two steps, I really think it will just slow this down and make it harder than it needs to be. At this point, my choices seem to be between getting the traditional DS with Dr Dakin (if I can convince him to do it in one go) or getting the SIPS/Loop with Dr Roslin. So hard to decide between them at this point. :frown:
Are you self pay? If that's the case go to Esquerra in MX. Done and done. I would travel before I settled for either the SIPS or a 2 stage OP.

Are you self pay? If that's the case go to Esquerra in MX. Done and done. I would travel before I settled for either the SIPS or a 2 stage OP.
No, my insurance is covering 100%. I've spoken with two different surgeons in NY, who will do either procedure and I fully understand what the SIPS operation is and how its different to a traditional DS and for me it sounds more appropriate, so at this stage I'm leaning towards SIPS. I understand some people are very uncomfortable with it being new, but that doesn't bother me at all.

I'm going about 2 hours outside of the city to Dr. Antanavicius in PA. Both he, and Dr. Bonnani do the full DS.

While I wanted to do my surgery in the city, I decided it was worth the drive. They are big fans of the DS and they are still in my empire bcbs network.

If you're based in NYC, you might check them out.

No, my insurance is covering 100%. I've spoken with two different surgeons in NY, who will do either procedure and I fully understand what the SIPS operation is and how its different to a traditional DS and for me it sounds more appropriate, so at this stage I'm leaning towards SIPS. I understand some people are very uncomfortable with it being new, but that doesn't bother me at all.
Make absolutely sure IN writing from the insurance company that they cover SIPS and if necessary, a revision to a 2 anastomoses DS, down the road if needed. Don’t take the word of a customer service rep but get a high level supervisor signs off on it.

Make absolutely sure IN writing from the insurance company that they cover SIPS and if necessary, a revision to a 2 anastomoses DS, down the road if needed. Don’t take the word of a customer service rep but get a high level supervisor signs off on it.
Yes I am definitely making sure of this. I have emailed my co-ordinator at UHC to send me the details in writing. I need to check with Dr Roslin too because they have their consent forms online and it doesn't mention anastomoses in there at all, and I thought it would. Also trying to find the right code they should be charging it for. Does anyone know what are the two different codes for the traditional DS vs the SIPS/Loop procedure? I tried googling but couldn't find it.

Yes I am definitely making sure of this. I have emailed my co-ordinator at UHC to send me the details in writing. I need to check with Dr Roslin too because they have their consent forms online and it doesn't mention anastomoses in there at all, and I thought it would. Also trying to find the right code they should be charging it for. Does anyone know what are the two different codes for the traditional DS vs the SIPS/Loop procedure? I tried googling but couldn't find it.
That’s because there is no code yet. The DS has one but not the SADI/SIPS/LoopDS

Hi

Welcome!

Best of luck!

Hi Dawn
I had Rny 10yrs ago and regained all my weight CW 330LBS. I have an appointment with Dr. Dakin and Dr. Roslin I have “ BCBS Medicaid NYC” for revision from Rny to DS but I don’t know anyone who has done it with Dr. Dakin. Dr. Roslin said he would like me to do a full body scan and he’s not sure what he can do for me. Can u please share your story

Latest posts

Back