Hello, my name is Liz and I am a friend of Kirmie's.

Liz

Hello, I am Liz and my friend is Kirmie, I am interested in finding out what I can about the classic DS please? I am interested in whether, anyone knows of any Surgeons in Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney or Melbourne that perform this surgery? As I live in Australia and I am finding it very difficult to locate a Surgeon who performs this Surgery. Thanks Kind Regards Liz O'Leary

Last edited:
Hi Liz, A/Prof Peter Nottle in Melbourne is the only Aussie DS surgeon I've heard of, recommended by the fine people here.

I opted to have it done overseas in Canada (I'm based in Singapore, though Australian) rather than go home for it, though. Others have been to Mexico successfully.

Thank you for your advice, Larra and Harrietvane. Harrietvane, how did you manage the after care and follow ups after having the DS surgery done in Canada? Whilst living in Singapore. As I live in Queensland, so I would have to fly to Melbourne, do you skype etc? Are you both happy you had the Classic DS? How many vitamins do you need to take each day? Do you have issues with lactose and gluten? Any issues with SBS? I know the classic DS has been around for 20 years, and so far has the best weight loss results. I had also been looking at the SIPS surgery, I have previously had the lap band regrettably, and the sleeve surgery, with losing 30 kgs initially on both, I am back to the drawing board and have 50 to 60 kg's to lose again now, as I have now regained, 20 kgs, so three years later, my sleeve has stretched, same with my Hubby. My Hubby and I have recently seen a surgeon on the Gold Coast who is looking at SIPS surgery, and he tells me he has met the USA Surgeons Roslin and Cottam who have pioneered this surgery and how there are studies being done in Quebec comparing the SIPS surgery and the classic DS surgery. However I am in two minds about which one to have and I am keen for some more information about the Classic DS surgery, if your able to tell me anything at all, ie advantages etc. Thanks Liz O :)

Hi Liz.

Dr Nottle requires you to stay in Melbourne two weeks, so you would need to travel and stay anyway. I'm not sure what his arrangements with Medicare are like, too, and private health insurance.

Harrietvane, how did you manage the after care and follow ups after having the DS surgery done in Canada? Whilst living in Singapore. As I live in Queensland, so I would have to fly to Melbourne, do you skype etc?

I had the pre-consult by phone, and have had subsequent consults by phone - though really, the surgeon is just there for the cutting! I have a list of blood tests to run and my doctor here in Singapore orders them for me and manages me on a day-to-day basis. I'm now on an annual schedule. (Quarterly the first year, biannually the second year.)

Are you both happy you had the Classic DS?

Very! I've gone from 118kg and struggling even though I was doing the 'right' things to 64kg and able to live a normal life. My high blood pressure and oedema in my legs disappeared overnight.

How many vitamins do you need to take each day?

I take a fair few, but only in two lots. It becomes just part of life. And I got really good at taking a handful at a time, so I don't really notice it. Multi, vit D (though I also get a shot for this), calcium, vit A, iron and zinc for me.

Do you have issues with lactose and gluten? Any issues with SBS?

I was a little lactose intollerant the first few months but it quickly resolved. Re carbs, same thing. You have to learn what your body reacts to and then it's up to you to decide if the consequences are worth it. I don't avoid bread etc personally, but I do limit it because it fills me up fast and I want to prioritise protein. The real thing I can't eat is salad greens - go right through me.

I know the classic DS has been around for 20 years, and so far has the best weight loss results. I had also been looking at the SIPS surgery, I have previously had the lap band regrettably, and the sleeve surgery, with losing 30 kgs initially on both, I am back to the drawing board and have 50 to 60 kg's to lose again now, as I have now regained, 20 kgs, so three years later, my sleeve has stretched, same with my Hubby.

I was a revision from a lapband, so I understand feeling like you've 'failed'. But the lapband now shows to have been pretty useless for most of us (not to mention the fact that you end up with disordered eating 'cause you can't swallow stuff!) and the sleeve is basically a diet. But I've not regretted this decision at all and the weightloss has been as 'effortless' as it could be. I don't really exercise other than general movement (and I walk a lot given I don't have a car here). The sleeve is the first part of the DS anyway, so I would say just go and finish it off!

My Hubby and I have recently seen a surgeon on the Gold Coast who is looking at SIPS surgery, and he tells me he has met the USA Surgeons Roslin and Cottam who have pioneered this surgery and how there are studies being done in Quebec comparing the SIPS surgery and the classic DS surgery. However I am in two minds about which one to have and I am keen for some more information about the Classic DS surgery, if your able to tell me anything at all, ie advantages etc.

I would say: you've tried twice and this is your last shot. Don't bet your life and happiness on a 'maybe'. If you need to travel, do it. A couple of weeks away is a small price to pay in the overall scheme of ensuring a happy and healthy life. The Quebec studies are likely to be Dr Gagner, if I were to guess. He did offer me SIPS as an option but was happy to do the 'true' DS when I asked for it and explained why.

I went to Dr Gagner in Montreal because I needed my lapband removed at the same time, and the US was crazy expensive with the exchange rate as a self-pay. It was about AUD20K in Canada, including staying in the hotel after and the private nurse, and I think about the same for those who went to Mexico for Dr Esquerra. I then had a very sedate week in New York after (feeling a bit like I had been hit with a truck!) before flying home. If you do plan to travel, though, I'd suggest you look at at least premium economy flights. I was lucky enough to be able to go business, as it was a 24-hour trip from New York back to Singapore. If you need to take money out of your super, do it - else you might not be around to spend it in your retirement living a happy and healthy life!

Liz, I read in another thread that you started that you've already had both lap band and sleeve, and yet here you are, looking into a third bariatric surgery. Why would you not opt for the surgery with far and away the best track record of any bariatric surgery after two lesser operations have failed you? SIPS is still experimental, and lacks the selective fat malabsorption that makes the DS so successful not just for a couple years but long term. Don't settle.

Hi Liz.

Dr Nottle requires you to stay in Melbourne two weeks, so you would need to travel and stay anyway. I'm not sure what his arrangements with Medicare are like, too, and private health insurance.

Harrietvane, how did you manage the after care and follow ups after having the DS surgery done in Canada? Whilst living in Singapore. As I live in Queensland, so I would have to fly to Melbourne, do you skype etc?

I had the pre-consult by phone, and have had subsequent consults by phone - though really, the surgeon is just there for the cutting! I have a list of blood tests to run and my doctor here in Singapore orders them for me and manages me on a day-to-day basis. I'm now on an annual schedule. (Quarterly the first year, biannually the second year.)

Are you both happy you had the Classic DS?

Very! I've gone from 118kg and struggling even though I was doing the 'right' things to 64kg and able to live a normal life. My high blood pressure and oedema in my legs disappeared overnight.

How many vitamins do you need to take each day?

I take a fair few, but only in two lots. It becomes just part of life. And I got really good at taking a handful at a time, so I don't really notice it. Multi, vit D (though I also get a shot for this), calcium, vit A, iron and zinc for me.

Do you have issues with lactose and gluten? Any issues with SBS?

I was a little lactose intollerant the first few months but it quickly resolved. Re carbs, same thing. You have to learn what your body reacts to and then it's up to you to decide if the consequences are worth it. I don't avoid bread etc personally, but I do limit it because it fills me up fast and I want to prioritise protein. The real thing I can't eat is salad greens - go right through me.

I know the classic DS has been around for 20 years, and so far has the best weight loss results. I had also been looking at the SIPS surgery, I have previously had the lap band regrettably, and the sleeve surgery, with losing 30 kgs initially on both, I am back to the drawing board and have 50 to 60 kg's to lose again now, as I have now regained, 20 kgs, so three years later, my sleeve has stretched, same with my Hubby.

I was a revision from a lapband, so I understand feeling like you've 'failed'. But the lapband now shows to have been pretty useless for most of us (not to mention the fact that you end up with disordered eating 'cause you can't swallow stuff!) and the sleeve is basically a diet. But I've not regretted this decision at all and the weightloss has been as 'effortless' as it could be. I don't really exercise other than general movement (and I walk a lot given I don't have a car here). The sleeve is the first part of the DS anyway, so I would say just go and finish it off!

My Hubby and I have recently seen a surgeon on the Gold Coast who is looking at SIPS surgery, and he tells me he has met the USA Surgeons Roslin and Cottam who have pioneered this surgery and how there are studies being done in Quebec comparing the SIPS surgery and the classic DS surgery. However I am in two minds about which one to have and I am keen for some more information about the Classic DS surgery, if your able to tell me anything at all, ie advantages etc.

I would say: you've tried twice and this is your last shot. Don't bet your life and happiness on a 'maybe'. If you need to travel, do it. A couple of weeks away is a small price to pay in the overall scheme of ensuring a happy and healthy life. The Quebec studies are likely to be Dr Gagner, if I were to guess. He did offer me SIPS as an option but was happy to do the 'true' DS when I asked for it and explained why.

I went to Dr Gagner in Montreal because I needed my lapband removed at the same time, and the US was crazy expensive with the exchange rate as a self-pay. It was about AUD20K in Canada, including staying in the hotel after and the private nurse, and I think about the same for those who went to Mexico for Dr Esquerra. I then had a very sedate week in New York after (feeling a bit like I had been hit with a truck!) before flying home. If you do plan to travel, though, I'd suggest you look at at least premium economy flights. I was lucky enough to be able to go business, as it was a 24-hour trip from New York back to Singapore. If you need to take money out of your super, do it - else you might not be around to spend it in your retirement living a happy and healthy life!
Thanks so much for you information, that is great, excellent, I have contacted Dr Peter Nottles Surgery, and the lady there gave me his Practice Manager's email, so I have emailed them. I really appreciate your advice, and thanks Southern Lady, I did not realise DS has been around for the last 30 years, that is very interesting and thanks for the correct link for the other article I wanted to read as well, but was unable to open. Kind Regards Liz O'Leary

Hi Harrietvane,There is a place called Weightloss solutions on the Gold Coast, the lady Felicity, I had also been speaking with there, said they do the DS and she has worked there for 18 years and she has met Scopirano, in person, I believe he is the original DS surgeon who pioneered DS surgery. Anyway she said they do have Surgeons that perform this Surgery at the Wesley Hospital in Auchenflower, in Brisbane in the ICU. I have sent her another message to ask her the names of the Surgeons and I am waiting to hear back from her regarding this. This is what she actually said regarding performing the surgery in her first email, "The clinic is on the Gold Coast and all Surgery is Brisbane only. This kind of procedure is only done in a hospital with ICU, it would be The Wesley in Auchenflower". I am aware everyone here is this site, is saying A/Professor Dr Peter Nottle, however I thought if I could also find out the names of the Surgeons in Brisbane and perhaps find out more about them, although as Dr Nottle is the only DS Surgeon in OZ, everyone on DS Facts is recommending, I am more inclined to wait, and organise to go with Dr Nottle. His practice Manager is
going to ask Dr Nottle some questions for me and get back to me, re our email exchange as well. Thanks

said they do the DS and she has worked there for 18 years and she has met Scopirano, in person, I believe he is the original DS surgeon who pioneered DS surgery.
Scopirano’s surgery is the BPD (Bilopancreatic Diversion) which has a very large pouch, not a sleeve. Dr. Hess in 1986 (not 1988 as I originally posted) took Scopirano’s version, deleted the pouch, adding the sleeve and called it the BPD/DS as a nod to what he used from Scopirano but made it much better.

The BPD is not a good surgery and most of us don’t bother using the term BPD/DS cause most medical personnel hear BPD and tune out the DS part.
https://www.dsfacts.com/history-of-duodenal-switch.php

Biliopancreatic Diversion (BPD)

Dr. Nicola Scopinaro introduced the Biliopancreatic Diversion in Italy during 1979.The procedure combines malabsorption with some gastric restriction. A large pouch between 250 and 400 ccs is created with the upper portion and the lower stomach is surgically removed (distal gastrectomy). The pyloric valve is circumvented so "dumping" often occurs. The duodenum (top part of the small intestine) is bypassed and the stomach pouch is connected to the lower 2-3 meters of the small intestine. Then, 4-metres of the small bowel (60%) is bypassed making the channel approximately 50 cm.

Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch (BPD-DS)

In 1986, Dr. Douglas Hess modified BPD and combined it with Duodenal Switch. This hybrid procedure is often referred to as the Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch, or GR-DS (Gastric Reduction- Duodenal Switch). Keep in mind; the BPD portion has been modified from the original procedure so the name can be misleading.

Duodenal Switch (DS)

DS surgeons and patients commonly refer to this procedure as the Duodenal Switch. Hess's Duodenal Switch has the advantages of the BPD, but without some of the associated problems like marginal ulcers, stoma closures and blockages, dumping syndrome, and serious protein-calorie malnutrition; all of which can occur after other gastric bypass procedures.

Liz, if there are other surgeons in Australia doing the DS (not SIPS/SADI and all the other names), please let us know. It may help other people to know about more resources. thanks!

Excellent, Thanks so much for your information, it is very interesting, I really appreciate it. Do you live in Tennessee? I thought I had read somewhere your in Tennessee. My family on my Dad's side are from Tennessee, I visited my Great Grandmother in Nashville, in 1994, she use to be a Nurse. I was born in OZ, due to my Grandfather and my Grandmother (who was Russian), separating. My Father grew up in OZ. However, I always kept in contact with my American side, as a child, in the snail trail days of writing letters, (being the Johnson's), with my Great Grandmother. Shame the internet was not around in those days. It is so much better for communications. Now, I just have to work out which Surgeon to choose, I am a bit unsure regarding that at this stage, conveniently there is the Weight loss solutions who do the Surgery in Brisbane, closer to where I live, and I have asked if they used the HESS method as Kirmie, told me to ask that as well, which Felicity said they do, however A/Professor Dr Peter Nottle in Melbourne is sounding a more experienced and an excellent Surgeon and well known, which is important to have a brilliant cutter, in order to avoid surgical complications. :)

Last edited:
Liz, I read in another thread that you started that you've already had both lap band and sleeve, and yet here you are, looking into a third bariatric surgery. Why would you not opt for the surgery with far and away the best track record of any bariatric surgery after two lesser operations have failed you? SIPS is still experimental, and lacks the selective fat malabsorption that makes the DS so successful not just for a couple years but long term. Don't settle.
Thanks Larra, Yes I am realising this now as well, as I gather more information from DS Facts friends, the website DS facts that have been produced here on DS Facts and Kirmie. Thank you muchly for all of the insights as well provding a wealth of DS Fact information. ":)

Latest posts

Back