Hello, Liz here,

Hello, My Hubby and I are in the process of deciding whether to have the DS or the SADI S and I have only recently found about these surgeries as we have both had the sleeve three years ago and we require revision surgery, I have been speaking with a friend in Scotland who has had the DS and was informing me of it, then I spoke with a lady yesterday who works for a bariatric surgeon in Brisbane, Qld, Australia, and he did the SADI S for her. We have an appointment coming up with a Surgeon on the Gold Coast, who does both DS and SADI S and I am just weighing up the differences, as I have read how the DS has been around for 20 years so there is more results for it and the SADI S is relatively new and not enough known regarding results for that surgery. I am interested on all views for both and against, Many Thanks Liz O

I have heard many people have gluten and lactose intolerance after having the DS surgery? Would that be correct in saying that? I am just wondering that is all.
Thanks Liz O

I see a few are from USA my Grandfather on my Dad's side was from Nashville, Tennessee. I have visited family in USA a few years
ago now, I have heard from a friend of mine who lives in Scotland, who has also had the DS, and how the DS is very popular in the UK,
USA and Mexico and how the results are the best results. Thanks Liz O

Hi Liz. I believe the only vetted surgeon at home is in Melbourne, Dr Peter Nottle. As well as doing the surgery, you want to make sure they're doing it often, as it does require additional skill. It may mean facing the need to travel to get the right wo/man for the job. Most bariatric surgeons in Brisbane are doing the sleeve and RNY and will push you heavily in that direction. (My mum just had surgery and went for an RNY.)

I travelled to Canada for mine, but else A/Prof Peter Nottle is the man people who've been operated on in Australia recommend. You can find his practice here: http://www.laparoscopicsurgery.com.au/

Many Thanks Harriet, for the information, yes I am feeling they seem to now want Guinea Pigs for the SIPS or the SADI S as it is relatively new and not around long enough for the results, however, the DS has long term successful results. Are you pleased you got the DS? Thanks Liz O

I have heard many people have gluten and lactose intolerance after having the DS surgery? Would that be correct in saying that? I am just wondering that is all.
Thanks Liz O
It depends. (Vague enough for you? :) )
Okay, gluten is found mostly in bread products. It’s what gives grains it’s elasticity to become bread and bread products are not good esp during weight loss. Some people react to bread more than others. But remember, just because it says gluten free, does not mean it’s good for you. One of my favorite pre DS candy is twizzlers (don’t ask why, lol) and the package even says gluten free on it now. But it’s still PURE sugar!

Carbs, even complex carbs, turn into sugar once in your mouth. You will want to limit carbs, esp during the losing phase to as few as you can. I get most of my carbs from dairy products.

But as far as intolerance of gluten, that depends. I can eat bread, flour tortillas without gastric distress (very limited amounts) but corn based products (which are gluten free) such as cornbread gives me gas and bloat. Others use corn based to avoid flour based products for the same reasons.

Milk: this truly is a crap shoot. Many of us develop lactose intolerance in the very early months. A few don’t (my husband for example). For many, it eases as you get further out. Even at 7 plus years, store bought milk and ice cream are no goes. I say store bought as I found out I am not lactose intolerant as much as pasteurized intolerant. I can drink raw milk all day long. But pasteurized milk, oh hell NO!

Now, how much of that is directly due to the DS depends on you. You won’t know til after. Each of us is individual. Had I known I would have become so lactose intolerant, I would have had drunk much more milk cause I missed it greatly afterwards until I discovered a local source for raw milk where I lived (over three years later).

Generally tho, carbs and lactose products are two of the most problematic areas.

Hello and welcome Liz ! I highly recommend the traditional DS, if you can commit to vitamin supplementation and protein consumption. Particularly given the sleeve has already failed you, it would seem selective fat malabsorption with proven long term results is in order. All the best, whatever you choose!!!

Hi Liz and welcome! I had the DS about 15 years ago and I CAN eat anything. I had a cast iron stomach before and I still do. There is no better surgery than the DS for losing weight and keeping it off. I would encourage you both to get the real thing because no one knows the long term results from the SADI. But the problem is finding a surgeon and the only one I know of is Nottle. There may be more by now. If you find some, let us know!

The key to DS type surgeries is malabsorbtion and it seems to me the SADI is a watered down version of the true DS. The surgeons selling it say there are fewer deficiencies and that's probably true but it's also true that sleeve they sold you is just another diet with a smaller stomach.

- Bile reflux is a risk with SADI - it is impossible with a proper DS.

- Weight regain more likely with SADI - less malabsorption of macronutrients (including fat, complex carbs and protein), but likely similar malabsorption of micronutrients, so you are still at significant risk of malnutrition - just less risk of protein malnutrition. And no free pass on fat - how sad! It is one of the best parts of the DS - being able to eat butter, cream, mayonnaise, sour cream, salad dressing, avocado, bacon, marbled steak, with relative abandon. SADI has FAR less fat malabsorption, and it is not selective like it is with the DS (same amount of gut used to absorb all macronutrient, whereas with the DS, there is some protein and carb absorption in the alimentary tract before the common channel).

- Protein malnutrition is avoided by eating a lot of meat, and finding a protein supplement you can tolerate when/if you can't manage enough food-based protein (I personally enjoy a cup or two of Unjury Chicken Soup (17 g of protein in 8 oz) from time to time. Risk of protein malnutrition is NOT, IMNSHO, a reason to elect SADI over DS.

Latest posts

Back