Hello! Had DS on 6/11/18

Skyli

Hello everyone.
I had a successful DS 2.5 weeks ago. So far its been pretty uneventful.

My highest weight (I think) was 301. Weight before surgery after preop diet was 277 and I'm currently at 255.
I was diabetic - didn't know until going through the tests to get surgery. Was put on 1000 mg metaformin by my PCP. Stopped taking it before leaving the hospital. My blood sugar hasn't gone above 85 since I've been home. (I never was told to test my blood sugars, I just ordered a kit on amazon and did it myself sometimes)

Deciding to do this was a really REALLY REALLY big deal for me. My mom had gastric bypass surgery on 9/26/2000. She died on 10/26/2000 without ever leaving the hospital. I was 19 at the time. I don't even know which surgery she had. I'm assuming it was RNY - but I don't know for sure. She went septic and died.

I NEVER thought I would have wls. Until 6 years ago, I didn't need it. But about 12 years ago I got out of the army and couldn't run anymore. And I gained weight. Then I quit smoking and gained more weight. Then 8 years ago I met my wonderfully awesome husband. And I gained more weight. And every year I just got bigger and happier and bigger and then...

I couldn't wear the ring my mom had gotten me cause my fingers were too fat. And I needed a seat belt extender on the airplane. And I couldn't ride the rides with my nieces and nephews. And I couldn't walk my dog for 20 minutes without feeling like I was gonna die. So I made an appointment with a bariatric surgeon.

I chose DS because if I was going to do this - surgery - I was only going to do it once. My surgeon is a 2 hour drive from my house, because I was going to find a great doctor with amazing results and I did.

I still can't believe I did it. Neither can my husband. I'm cautiously hopeful everyday.

Good for you for finding out about the DS and astutely observing that it is the best procedure for results and lifestyle - IF IF IF you are committed to self-care, supplementation, eating enough protein, testing regularly, and enjoying your life. Welcome to the best DS support group there is. No bullshit here - and hundreds of years of cumulative experience living safely, healthily and happily with our DSs.

I'm sorry for your loss. It's super brave of you to go for surgery after that. Welcome!

I'm so sorry for your loss! It's hard for almost everyone to make the huge decision to have bariatric surgery, I can't even imagine how tough this was for you. Good for you for finding the courage to do this, and great decision to have the DS. Anyone who orders her own blood sugar testing kit when a doc didn't tell her to do it should do just fine with tracking protein, vitamins, minerals and labs.

I'm so sorry for your loss! It's hard for almost everyone to make the huge decision to have bariatric surgery, I can't even imagine how tough this was for you. Good for you for finding the courage to do this, and great decision to have the DS. Anyone who orders her own blood sugar testing kit when a doc didn't tell her to do it should do just fine with tracking protein, vitamins, minerals and labs.
Thanks! I appreciate the vote of confidence. And thanks to everyone else who replied or read this thread. I'm really glad I found this forum.

Welcome! I'm a relative noobie myself (almost 8 months). Keep us posted on your progress. Lots of helpful experience here. Use it.

Hi and welcome Skyli ! Glad your surgery was successful and sorry to learn of your loss. Please stay hydrated and take it easy while you are healing!

Latest posts

Back