Hello from Scranton, PA

Lisa Gemmel

My heart wrestles in a kilt <3
Hi all,

I just posted in the SAY HELLO forum, but wanted to come to the DS Group to say hello as well. I'm eleven years out and need some help getting on track. Years have come and gone, and I need to focus on taking care of me. And my overall health. Sadly, I'm not getting any younger :laugh:

Hi, my name is Lisa. I'm back to this site after a long while away. Many things changed. I left Scranton for Florida, where I lived for a year helping to take care of a disabled relative. I moved back home to Scranton for good. Left with two cats, came back home with three cats, a man and a love for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
I need help getting back on track in taking care of myself. I just never feel good. I always feel blah. I don't know if it is DS related (no weight gain, taking every vitamin I'm supposed to be), if there is something medically going on, or if this is just normal aging.
I recently acquired medical insurance, and I am in the process of trying to get an appointment for a full physical. I need a full set of bloodwork done. I feel good about going back to my former physician that I have here in Scranton because within the past two years or so, the practice has opened a Bariatric Service Center. Both offices are affiliated with the hospital I used to work for, which in about two weeks I'm going to be rehired! Hooray!
Looking forward to the support I can get and the support I can give.
Lisa

Welcome Lisa Gemmel
Make sure you get a full set of labs (listed here: https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/generic-ds-lab-order.191/ )
Once you get the results AND get a hard copy or portal copy for your own use, if you need help figuring things out, redact the personal info and take photos to post in the Vitamins and Labs board. We can help and suggest what we might do in the same situation.

If nothing remarkable is there, maybe cleaning up your diet to focus on protein and fat first until your blah goes away. Then add back carbs to figure out what is causing the blah.

The blah may have a totally NON DS reason. Not all our issues are related to the DS.

I know Abington Hospital-Jefferson Health has a bariatric program that includes the DS.

Hi and welcome! Glad you found your way here.
Agree with southernlady on the labs - even with a bariatric center, if they focus on gastric bypass and/or sleeve, they need to understand that you need more extensive labs with the DS when it comes to vitamin and mineral levels. But so great that you now have insurance and a job and are back in your home town.

Latest posts

Back