Hello from Australia

Hello all
My name is Liz, im a vsg patient who is super unhappy with my results & im likely (fingers crossed) going to Mexico to convert to a DS.

Hello all
My name is Liz, im a vsg patient who is super unhappy with my results & im likely (fingers crossed) going to Mexico to convert to a DS.

Yep, it was Dr Esquerra. Lots written on him on the site. He is the only one I would go to in MX because I found the idea of MX scary. He is very well vetted here. Let me know if you need more info.

Welcome Aussiemummabear

Yep, it was Dr Esquerra. Lots written on him on the site. He is the only one I would go to in MX because I found the idea of MX scary. He is very well vetted here. Let me know if you need more info.
Actually Dr. Ungson is back in practice there with Dr. Esquerra. Dr. Ungson was our original "ONLY doc in MX for a DS" so either works now. :)

As you're working out the figures, be sure to cost in at least Premium Economy fares - with a longhaul flight, you will want your feet elevated to reduce DVT risk, and some comfort. I flew from Singapore (where I was living) from Canada for mine, via Qatar. You will also likely get some Lovenox or similar prescribed for you for ~10 days.

I also spent ~10 days recovering (some in Montreal and then some in NYC) before the flight back, as some airlines won't allow you to fly that far so close to major surgery.

Best of luck!

Well, I don't know and I will defer to people here, but it sounds like recovery from VSG to DS is not nearly as bad as a virgin DS in terms of pain.

It's less about relative pain and more about risk - they shouldn't take you within X days of abdominal surgery (at least according to some airlines - Qatar's rule was 10 days), and you have a higher risk of DVT issues on long-haul flights (hence the Lovenox). Now, realistically, the airline wouldn't know if you had or hadn't had surgery, but if something did go wrong, you'd be left with the liability.

It's less about relative pain and more about risk - they shouldn't take you within X days of abdominal surgery (at least according to some airlines - Qatar's rule was 10 days), and you have a higher risk of DVT issues on long-haul flights (hence the Lovenox). Now, realistically, the airline wouldn't know if you had or hadn't had surgery, but if something did go wrong, you'd be left with the liability.

That makes sense. When I look about at my experience, I thought the plane ride back was actually the worse part. I paid for a first class ticket, but there were some kids running around and the flight attendant joined in on the fun and all I wanted to do was sleep.

That makes sense. When I look about at my experience, I thought the plane ride back was actually the worse part. I paid for a first class ticket, but there were some kids running around and the flight attendant joined in on the fun and all I wanted to do was sleep.

Now imagine that for 15 hours, which is LAX to the major airports on the east coast of Australia ;) It's a loooong and unpleasant flight at the best of times.

Hello all . thank you so much for all of your messages. I was not intending to go with either if the above mentioned drs at first. I have asked for various consults & found someone who i thought looked really good BUT i cant actually find him mentioned anywhere bar one post which is not current. So im still looking before handing over any money. harrietvane wise words from an experience is appreciated. I have looked at staying for 3 weeks in total to releave the discomforts of DVT & being so tired.
I will keep you all updated once i know more
Thanks again
Liz x

Latest posts

Back