Hello! Failed DS by Dr. David Kim anyone else?

Julanie

Im trying to get information to help me with planning for a revision to my DS.

I was told by Dr kim that he did a bpd ds but that he left my common channel longer than usual so that i wouldnt have vitamin deficiencies and because he could always shorten it later if necessary. A friend of mine also had the DS week later with dr kim with the same poor results and explaination.

I have requested my chart from his office and will be able to pick it up friday.

Once i have it i plan on going to dr. Ayoola for possible revision. But im scared.

If dr kim gave me a sadi or loop etc getting it corrected sounds bad. Ive been reading that revision to a true ds is diffucult. i have 3 kids with the youngest being under 3. Id rather be fat and with my kids than sick or dead from surgical complications.

Does anyone out here have info on getting the wrong ds from Kim...or just a conservative ds...or a successful correction to what he did?

Im trying to get information to help me with planning for a revision to my DS.

I was told by Dr kim that he did a bpd ds but that he left my common channel longer than usual so that i wouldnt have vitamin deficiencies and because he could always shorten it later if necessary. A friend of mine also had the DS week later with dr kim with the same poor results and explaination.

I have requested my chart from his office and will be able to pick it up friday.

Once i have it i plan on going to dr. Ayoola for possible revision. But im scared.

If dr kim gave me a sadi or loop etc getting it corrected sounds bad. Ive been reading that revision to a true ds is diffucult. i have 3 kids with the youngest being under 3. Id rather be fat and with my kids than sick or dead from surgical complications.

Does anyone out here have info on getting the wrong ds from Kim...or just a conservative ds...or a successful correction to what he did?
Welcome Julanie

Make sure you get your operative report as well as your chart. And I’m sorry you are dealing with this.

Hi Julanie! Glad you found your way here. There may be a copy of your operative report in your chart, but for sure you can get it from the hospital. You will need to sign a release of information to get it, and there may be a small fee, but you will need it going forward. Dr. Ayoola will need to see it to plan any possible revision.
My understanding is that sometimes it's possible to revise a SADI to a DS, and sometimes it isn't, depending on how it was done. And remember, we don't know for sure yet that that's what you have. There is someone who posts occasionally on that other website (we don't name it here) who had her first surgery done in Mexico, situation much like yours (supposed to get DS, got SADI) and had it revised to a true DS, also in Mexico by a very reputable DS surgeon there, and had excellent results after her revision, so don't give up hope.

It would seem to me (not an MD!) that it shouldn’t be too hard to convert a SADI/SIPS to a proper DS, by dividing the alimentary limb just upstream from the duodenoileal anastomosis, sealing the stump on the downstream side, and creating a Roux-en-Y anastomosis of the upstream end of that biliopancreatic limb to a point 100 cm upstream of the ileocecal valve. Should be able to do it laparoscopically. You’d have a slightly longer than average alimentary limb (300 vs 250 cm), but that could be left as-is.

Larra - what conditions could make it more complicated than this? Adhesions?

Isn't Kim's logic kinda like saying, "Okay, this right here is an automobile, but we're gonna put in a 2-liter tank with an open drain hole in the bottom because storing fuel imight be dangerous." ("And too bad about this ain't gonna work.")

DianaCox it seems to me that we asked Dr. Rabkin about that a few years ago, and it depended on how the anatomy was set up (what went in front of or behind what). I don't think adhesions would be a problem unless they were severe.

Have you guys heard of any problems with poor weightloss due to the body adapting to the prior surgery? I know you arent M.D.'s but you perspective us appreciated.

I know i need to make my appt and see the dr but i also know i will be obsessing about thus all week while on vacation and then while i am waiting for my reports to come back.

Have you guys heard of any problems with poor weightloss due to the body adapting to the prior surgery? I know you arent M.D.'s but you perspective us appreciated.

I know i need to make my appt and see the dr but i also know i will be obsessing about thus all week while on vacation and then while i am waiting for my reports to come back.

The first step is to get your surgery report and find out what type of surgery you had. The second step would be to follow-up with a **competent** bariatric surgeon to look to see if you have any physical problems related to your bariatric surgery that is impeding weight loss.

The body can adapt somewhat and begin to absorb more calories (if you had a maladaptive procedure), there can also be a physical malfunction that results in weight gain, and in addition to those factors, falling back into old eating habits can override bariatric surgery. Go back to steps 1 and 2 before you blame yourself. Do your best to make healthy food choices as you try to figure this out.

A minimal amount of macronutrient malabsorption can be completely reversed by intestinal adaptation. Certain micronutrients could still be malabsorbed, however, because they are only absorbed in specific portions of the alimentary tract.

A recent publication showed that 12 months after SIPS/SADI, there was no longer any fat malabsorption. I would be livid.

I know you arent M.D.'s but you perspective us appreciated.

Don't assume. :danc: We may just have doctors and lawyers and Indian Chiefs on board here.

And maybe an aging hippie or two. :thhippy:

(I'm not only listed on the rolls of the "Bureau of Indian Affairs," or whatever they call it these days...but five years ago, a little girl decided my name should be "Queen Susie," and I've answered to that ever since. So we even have Quasi Royalty!)

(And CONFUSED. My kid, aka MiniSue, is--among other things--a Mexican-American with Native American documentation...she is also DAR-eligible. She NEVER knows which boxes to check.)

Latest posts

Back