Hello Everyone

Cammi1012

I just found out this week that the surgery I had 17 months ago was the sleeve and not the DS. The doctor never told me he didn't do it he actually said he did the DS and sent me home with all the DS information. I have been taking 14 vitamin a day because he told me I needed them since I had the DS and I believe this is the cause of my severe constipation. I have only lost about 50 pounds and the doctor who performed the surgery is no longer with the group. And the other 2 doctors only do lap band and sleeve so they recommended I take some diet pills and they can help me with a weightloss plan ugh. I have contacted 2 attorney and they both said they can't help me.

Hi Cammi! Glad to see you here. Hopefully others will show up soon, though things are a bit more quiet on weekends.

You must be my guardian angel you are everywhere lol. Seriously I really appreciate all you support\advice this is a very tough time for me right now.

Hello and welcome Cammi1012 . I'm so sorry that you didn't get the DS you were expecting and that you weren't properly informed of it immediately. If you don't have a copy of your surgical report / hospital records, you should request them from the hospital right away. It is possible that something happened during the procedure that prevented the 2nd half from being performed. If this is the case, the rationale for stopping without completing the intestinal work should be documented in the surgical report. And it should document clearly whatever was done; which is information you will need if you want a revision in the future.

Hello Hilary I do have the report and it states I had lap band removal and partial gastrectomy. The doctor that reviewed my ex ray this week said she THINK he did the switch but don't think he went deep enough (which make no since either he did are didnt). Also the surgery only took a little over 2 hours and the doctor told me before the surgery that the DS surgery would take 5 or 6 hours so how did he do it in 2 hours this is so frustrating.

Hello Hilary I do have the report and it states I had lap band removal and partial gastrectomy. The doctor that reviewed my ex ray this week said she THINK he did the switch but don't think he went deep enough (which make no since either he did are didnt). Also the surgery only took a little over 2 hours and the doctor told me before the surgery that the DS surgery would take 5 or 6 hours so how did he do it in 2 hours this is so frustrating.
Hi Cammi,
Are you familiar with the SADI/SIPS/Loop procedure? Perhaps this is what was performed? Is there mention of an anastomosis (full DS would have two, SADI/SIPS/Loop would have one)?

Cammi, hilary1617 makes an important point. A sleeve (the partial gastrectomy) would not involve any anastomoses (i.e. connections of one part of the intestine to another). A true DS has 2 anastomoses, and the SADI, which some surgeons unfortunately are calling a DS though it isn't, has one. How many anastomoses are described in your operative report? If you can't figure this out, you can send the report to a coupe of us privately and we can sort it out for you. There are some very well informed folks here who can interpret these reports, which often seem to be written in some obscure foreign language.

And if it turns out that your surgeon submitted for approval of a DS and was paid for it, you should advise your insurance company, as well as the state medical board. But first, you need to get copies of what he submitted and the op report.

Hi, Cammie!

how much more weight did you want to lose? how are you feeling?
Hello Jackie,

I would like to lose at least 120 pounds. I started off at 335 and I at 285 after 17 months, I feel fine physically but mentally I feel like a fool/failure. I think I am too to out o lose 120. The reason I had to this surgery was because I need help dieting only was never enough for me to lose it and keep it off.

Cammi, hilary1617 makes an important point. A sleeve (the partial gastrectomy) would not involve any anastomoses (i.e. connections of one part of the intestine to another). A true DS has 2 anastomoses, and the SADI, which some surgeons unfortunately are calling a DS though it isn't, has one. How many anastomoses are described in your operative report? If you can't figure this out, you can send the report to a coupe of us privately and we can sort it out for you. There are some very well informed folks here who can interpret these reports, which often seem to be written in some obscure foreign language.
I will scan the operative report and a copy what insurance paid tomorrow and send to you because I am lost plus I feel like the new doctor cant help me since they don't so DS surgery and I really don't want to start on diet pills which was the option they gave me.

I don't think any kind of doctor should prescribe diet pills, there aren't any that both work and are safe. :confused:

Last edited:
Regardless of what the operative report says, is there no other bariatric surgeon or group in your area you could go to? It doesn't sound like the present one is going to be of any help. Where are you? Folks here know the DS resources.

Latest posts

Back