Hello & 1st Week Post Op

varies person to person. It took a couple weeks for the discomfort to go away for me

Thank you all for your replies.

I had my final lab review with Dr Smith and his PA today.....One more review meeting and then surgery!
Im ready for the surgery, ready for the recovery and the phases on the post op diet.

My only concern is that during every meeting I am told that the loose stools can be a real issue. How bad is this issue? Will I be able to workout, run, play golf, lift weights without pooping my pants?
The first month when its pretty much only liquids in, its also liquids out. After that, while it's possible to get a gut imbalance or find some food you aren't tolerating, pretty much anything can be dealt with, and for many of us pooping is just a morning thing, and done for the day, or maybe another later.

Post DS is the first time in my life I've been regular, and at almost 10 years post op, my life is as normal and anyone's and I now ski / snowboard, travel more and have been able to climb volcanoes in 4 countries. Our last trip we climbed to ancient archaeological sites (MANY times) and monasteries that had no way there other than to climb. I'm going to put one picture of one of the climbs at Meteora, and you can see there was NO WAY UP to that, other than steps that went around and up and through. If I had one iota of doubt there could be a poop emergency, there is no way I'd do this stuff
. meteora.jpg

Holy smokes I just read further through this thread, and see you already had surgery, and drank 80oz of water by day 3!! You are going to rock this, no doubt about it.

Day 7 - Had a very bad feeling on the right side of my stomach last night. Felt like a really sharp gas pain in my assending colon area (right side of stomach, 6-8” to right of my navel) Had to lay down in bed for an hour as it passed. Once the sharp pain went away I could feel the gas “pocket” work it’s way around the inside of my belly until it came out. This morning a drank 25 oz. of very hot beef broth. Shortly after had my first major BM since surgery. Wow! Feeling much better now.

Yesterday’s totals:
-150oz water
-125gm protein (Isopure power in water)
-1 Oikos Triple O Yougurt
-1 small container applesauce (no sugar added)
-Down 31 pounds since surgery

Feeling better everyday, can’t wait for puréed foods tomorrow!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back