Has anyone had to have a stent put in due to strictures

I have had 2 dilations done from strictures that was in Nov and Jan. Then 2 weeks ago I had to go back for another eng he found another stricture this time it was up in my stomach not at the connection so another dilation, I was told that if this did not work he might have to put in a stent. Well things did not get better so on Tuesday I had a CT scan done and you guessed it my stomach is not empting again so I will be having surgery on Tuesday to have a stent placed. Was wondering if this has happen to anyone else and how it was?

@Barb1 suffered from related problems, but I don't know exactly what kind of surgical treatment she had done, only that she had a hell of a surgery and a tough recovery. I've tagged her so she will hopefully see this and comment on her experience.

Over the past 11 years I've been active on the DS sites, I have seen this happen several times. To the best of my recollection, eventually everyone recovered.

Didn't Lyndia have this issue? I'm directing her here from FB - she needs a push to come over here anyway!

I am so sorry you are having this problem! I can absolutly relate. I also was diagnosied with gastroparesis. I could only get liquids throuh. I can only tell you that when Dr. Keshishian went in (open) on September 26th it was to find out that the surgery in 2010 had formed scar tissue around the outside of the sleeve that re-acted like a bow tie affect and was cutting off at the middle of the sleeve. I also did not heal right where the colon and the bowel connected, double whammy. Dr. K explained it as having a clog at the sink only to have a problem at the pipe further on at the street. I love the way this man can explain things so that you understand. When I left CA he said that the bad thing about scar tissue is it has a habit of doing the same thing again and that it the future I might have to be scoped and dialated. Then I should wait a few weeks be scoped and dialated again. If that didn't help then a stent would have to be put in. It would have to stay in for a month then removed. I have a real issue with any kind of stint so I will have to be half dead before that will happen. That is another story for another time. I do know that the GI doctor I have is great and he did say he has had to do this to other patients for other reason but was further up in the esophogus. The danger he said was if the stent slipped further down it could be dangerous. Since Dr. Scott wants to put it further down then maybe the risk of it slipping are lesss. I think I would want to know what the risk is and if you have any other options. The fact that Dr. K (very well respected well known DS doctor) is thinking along the same lines makes me think you are not the first person to be faced with this problem. I would also ask Dr. Scott if he has had to do this before and how succesfull was the outcome. It sounds to me like you really don't have much of a choice. How is he putting the stent in? Will it be through endoscopy or do they have to open you up? I will send you my telephone number and e-mail. If you are going to be in the hospital for a few days let me know. I could come see you if you would like. If you want I could be your Angel. I have never been anyones Angel.
Barb

Last edited:
Going to bed for tonight but I need to know how to send a personal message. God I am a computer dummy!

Thanks En.

Diana I will be waiting too see what Lyndia has to say! Also good to know some one else has had the problems.

Thank you Whit!
Sheila
I really didn't mean to scare you! Just letting you know your not alone. I have a thing with stents because of something that happened with a family member. I find it really odd but very good in a way that 2 people who live so close to one another have the same problems, differnt sugeons, and have had the same with this surgery. The worst thing now that I will say is because of the issues over the last year I was not able to get in my vitamins and protein. I am now working on getting the Vitamin A, Iron and Protein levels up because they are low enough for me to be malnourished which brings in a whole new set of problems.
I originaly had a Vertical Banded Gastioplasty (VBG) in 1999 and it was revised to the DS in Oct 2010 by Dr. Bernita Bernsten in Topeks, KS. By the way I will be 63 in May so there is only about a 10 year differince in our age.

I ask how this procedure would be done Dr Scott said it would be done through a ENG however I will be in the operating room and will have to stay overnight.
Barb- I am also having trouble with my vitamins and protein so I am on the verge of malnutrition myself I am even having trouble with the liquid diet he has my on right now.

Spelling/terminology police here (does that qualify as good cop or bad cop??):

("I also was diagnosied with gastioporythis.") Barb - I think what you have is gastroparesis:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastroparesis - delayed gastric emptying because of the stricture.

Sheila - I think the procedure you are having is an EGD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esophagogastroduodenoscopy
A stent can be placed during the procedure - the point is, it goes through the mouth, so no surgery involved.

Stents are used in a variety of repairs of bodily tubes that are too small/tight/collapsing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stent They can be temporary or permanent.

Thanks for the correction Diana, I always forget the initials but I sure would not to even try to spell the actual procedure.(lol)

Ok here is the update They went in Tuesday and placed a stent. There was some food in my stomach so he removed what he could and felt that the rest would flow out through the stent. On Wed I went down and had an upper GI nothing was flowing everything was still sitting in my stomach. On Thursday they went back in scraped my and scooped out all of the stomach contents with hopes that this would fix the problem I got to have clear liquids afterwards then I was NPO after midnight. Went down this morning for another upper GI and the dye is flowing a little farther through the stent but still pooling in the stomach so waiting on the doc to see what is next they might have to open up my stomach to se what is going on will have to wait and see.

Latest posts

Back