Gurgling with drinking

VDLT

VSG October 2015
There is an alien in my throat. When drinking I hear noises from another world that can be heard a few feet away. I asked my surgeon a couple of days out if that was normal. He said I was drinking too fast. I am taking small sips and waiting about a minute in between. Still get the gurgling. I have a hard time getting as much water in as I would like because of the waiting.
Is the gurgling bad? Can it hurt anything? I will be two weeks out this coming Thursday.

Normal, it happened to me too- very tiny sips constantly through the day. I was getting about 50oz by day 3 or 4, and up every day from there, but in tiny tiny amounts through the day. I had a Camelbak bottle I used with a small bite valve that I kept with me at all times for a month or more. The way the valve worked kept me from taking a big swig- anything like that may help if you lose track and have a habit of taking a big swallow. Your stomach is reallly swollen and you will feel tight and restricted for a couple weeks.. don't expect to be able to eat more than an ounce or two of anything even mushy (like cottage cheese) for about a month or so- if your healing was like mine! The swelling and stiff feeling goes away, but it takes a few months to settle in- until then, there's an occasional gurgle- happened when I was eating too, and just about at the "full stop" point. Go slow when you do eat! :)

Thanks @Jo777 ! I am only around 40 ozs of water on a good day plus 11 ozs of protein shake and a jello and some broth. My mouth is so dry and my mouth tastes like toothpaste all the time. I would like to drink more but the gurgling gave me pause. Will keep chugging along. purée starts Friday. My surgeon's diet pamphlet is not the best and has very limited stuff on it. The nurse and dietician said only foods on there are allowed but my surgeon made it a point to tell me to use it as a guideline. I will be very careful and take it super easy.

@southernlady maybe our aliens are talking to each other?

:) - sounds fine, the protein shake/broth/jello also count towards fluids- so you sound good, drinking fluids was a full time job for the first month to stay hydrated.. I had a death grip on my water bottle! I found adding something to the water helped with the "hard/filling" feeling- SF drink mixes helped. Broth is great!

@southernlady maybe our aliens are talking to each other?
My alien was esp talkative when I drink V8 juice. I don't do it often and I didn't the first month...but after one month I needed something other than water, other than protein, and something NOT sweet. But good Lord Almighty was my sleeve esp noisy with that.

Oooh, I forgot, one of my non-sweet protein drinks was V8 & ice with a single scoop of unflavored protein whisked into it, a little horseradish, pepper ala virgin bloody Mary style. Too much protein powder=ick, but hey, it was different at least..

Oooh, I forgot, one of my non-sweet protein drinks was V8 & ice with a single scoop of unflavored protein whisked into it, a little horseradish, pepper ala virgin bloody Mary style. Too much protein powder=ick, but hey, it was different at least..
I didn't mess with the protein powder or the other additives. Mine was just the little baby cans of regular V8. I think I managed one a day...I'd sip, put it in the fridge and then go back and grab it..sip some more, then back in the fridge. Kept that up til I finished it. In between sips of the V8, I drank other fluids.

That alien is probably a good thing - it is likely the air coming out of your stomach. Better out than in - either end! and my go to drink was tomato juice. I could tolerate it early too. Still love it.

I have your alien's rude cousin. The gurgling coming out of me is absolutely shocking - I'm sure it can be heard next door! LOL And afterwards there is other gurgling going on further on down the line. My body is an orchestra of sounds...

Latest posts

Back