2. Compete in bodybuilding
  3. Training to become a professional wrestler
  4. Coach basketball
  5. Help others with their weight loss surgery
  6. Play basketball
  7. Go dancing
  8. Inspire people
  9. Be a teacher

I'm glad you have goals. wonderful goals!

FWIIW... you don't have to be thin to dance.. I say dance now.. dance yourself silly at weddings.. dance in the aisles at blues concerts.. rumble in motion to the odd tune.. just dance

I think there might be some things in the list that really need to wait for weight loss (no idea how to train to be a professional wrestler!) but more than one thing can be done now.
Dance
Teach
resistive training/strengthening

what are you doing now?

Unsolicited opinions that I THOUGHT I posted yesterday!

Try to not aim at “all my weight” goals. Consider working on some or all of those goals as soon as you can. Don’t wait until you lose “all” your weight. Goal #8–anyone who has list 300 pounds is ALREADY inspiring people. Goal #9–and you can start now to take some of the classes you need to get a teaching credential…even some online.

Bariatric surgery SUCCESS is defined as losing 50% of your excess weight. Even though you are currently at 400#, you are undoubtedly already considered a Bariatric Surgery Success because the 300# you have already lost has got to be more than 50% of your excess weight pre-op.

At 350+ I'd dance in the public square... got comments like"you move good for a big man".. I'd be thinking "I just move well" if I took the time to think at all .. much more fun to just dance

Yes the weight can get in the way, but often it's more of a head thing than a body thing... it matters for sure.. for one I don't get so out of breath anymore, and for another I can stand at ease without looking for a place to sit or a wall to hold up

I admire the large women who take to the public stage these days and dance. God bless them all. FWIIW, I admire the disciplined pros too, who take the art to a level that only one in a million can achieve...it speaks to the majesty of the human spirit. But the 999,999 rest of us can still bounce to the béat, even if we can never leap or turn like Baryshnikov

FWIIW.. I taught at that weight too...but I have not wrestled since college intramural.. those guys were always cutting weight.. it was just too weird for me

Good luck in your aspirations.. but if you really want to do something.. just do it.. don't let the (ahem) small stuff get in the way.

There will always be something in the way.

es the weight can get in the way, but often it's more of a head thing than a body thing.
yes! there is a lot of wisdom in your post, and this sums it up - pardon me but I remember someone saying "weight loss surgery is a mind f*ck" and it truly is. it is a complete re-set.

many of us (me!) had significant "issues" with eating to begin with, but then losing so much weight so fast is more than our brains can keep up with.

the subject of long term goals is important and interesting; thank you for bringing it up, Winter.

Latest posts

Back