Getting nervous about DS

This is my reply: I don't know how I messed this up.

I think faster than I type at times. When I said I would hopefully have a couple weeks of recovery before school was out for the summer, WHAT I MEANT is that those first couple of weeks he would be in his normal routine and be gone to school while I was still pretty drugged and sleeping a lot more than likely.

The reason I said nurses 16 hours a day is DH would be home the other 8 hours of the day. I have spoken with my contact at the company that supplies my son's caregivers. She knows that the caregivers will come feed him and then play with him for 5 hours until his next feeding, then repeat until the next caregiver comes.

I planned on 30 minute overlap with the caregivers and DH, but if I need to have it be an hour I will do that.

DH doesn't let me lift him now if he is home and the caregivers do the lifting when they are here. Caregivers also give him his baths regularly, as it is very diffucult for me to even get do it now.

I will not be lifting him, or even holding him on my lap during those 8 weeks. I'm sorry if I made y'all think that I was planning on not following the doctors orders.

Terri,

I got what you were saying and I think you've got a good handle on the details. I'm so glad you are lining up the care your son needs but, as importantly, you are also making sure you give yourself the care you need to heal well. You've got this. :)

Terri, I guess I identify with you on some level because you don't think this surgery will knock you on your ass. I didn't think it would, either, but it surely did. Not quite as badly as my triple surgery of hysterectomy, tummy tuck and posterior reconstruction did earlier. THAT one almost did me in mentally. But I was 49 at the time of my DS, and I think age has a lot to do with how quickly we bounce back.

Anyhoo, I do know you are NOT anything like the Daycare Twit. I understand you do be much more intelligent and receptive than she ever could hope to be. She's already handing out advice as if she were a 3 year veteran DSer.

You will do well, as long as you remember to put YOUR oxygen mask on first, before you tend to the other airline passengers.

Terri, I guess I identify with you on some level because you don't think this surgery will knock you on your ass. I didn't think it would, either, but it surely did. Not quite as badly as my triple surgery of hysterectomy, tummy tuck and posterior reconstruction did earlier. THAT one almost did me in mentally. But I was 49 at the time of my DS, and I think age has a lot to do with how quickly we bounce back.

Anyhoo, I do know you are NOT anything like the Daycare Twit. I understand you do be much more intelligent and receptive than she ever could hope to be. She's already handing out advice as if she were a 3 year veteran DSer.

You will do well, as long as you remember to put YOUR oxygen mask on first, before you tend to the other airline passengers.

I had an open, double hernia repair that had the same lifting restrictions for 6 weeks but that was 6 years ago. So I really think that is why I am so worried is I do know it's going to knock me on my ass and I want to make sure I take care of as many details as I can before the surgery. I may be a little bit of a control freak, although I am a lot better than I used to be.

Yup, I totally identify with you, @Terri . Women like us have a hard time asking for someone to help US, but we are the first one to jump and help someone else.

Just a Q - I am a multi truck contractor to FedEx. How long after surgery is realistic to be back in a truck delivering packages? 6-8 weeks? Or longer? I understand it varies person by person, but general idea?

Just a Q - I am a multi truck contractor to FedEx. How long after surgery is realistic to be back in a truck delivering packages? 6-8 weeks? Or longer? I understand it varies person by person, but general idea?

Can you limit your lifting at all when you're back on the job? If not, I'd take as LONG as possible, at LEAST 8 weeks. Three full months would be better if you can afford it.

@chevtow , the danger with lifting is you never know until it's too late if you lift something too heavy. You feel something rip or "give", maybe get a hot sensation, then you're shit out of luck. I did that after my breast surgery (mastopexy & augmentation) lifting 3 reams of copy paper. Didn't think that was too heavy at all. I was wrong. I injured my left side, created a bleed underneath the implant that couldn't be drained, and now have calcification on that side. It's permanent, and only another involved surgery will correct it. One side is bigger than the other because I lifted 3 reams of copy paper. I only took one week off work after my breast reconstruction surgery, because my boss was a total Nazi, insisting on being told every detail of my restrictions and surgery. After my injury, though, I had no problem refusing to lift ANYTHING heavier than a pencil. My plastic surgeon was SO pissed he gave me permanent lifting restrictions.

So take the full time off. Return to work with lifting restrictions in place, and force your employer to honor your limitations. If you are Union, utilize that as well. Because I can tell you first hand that a setback in recovery is totally avoidable, as well as infuriating. You only get one chance to recover properly.

Thanks for the info everyone. I am an independent contractor so I actually own the business. I can take as much time as needed, I just need to have extra drivers for my mental health :) I get nervous when I know I can't jump in if needed, but I won't go back till I'm healed. It's good to know that I'll need that time off so I can plan. Thanks again and I'm sorry to have hijacked the OP's thread

So today I had my pre-op testing. All was well except my EKG. I have to see a cardiologist and get a clearance from him/her. Surgeon's PA said they weren't sure if I had an actual infarction or not. So a little clarification is needed.

So today I had my pre-op testing. All was well except my EKG. I have to see a cardiologist and get a clearance from him/her. Surgeon's PA said they weren't sure if I had an actual infarction or not. So a little clarification is needed.
That's standard procedure. EKG is a very basic test, so it's sensible to go up at least one step in testing stuff out. I've had lots of fun with tests for cardiac clearance, up to and including a couple of heart caths. Catheterizations have exactly ONE redeeming feature: Good drugs. But they are not horrible, either.

Latest posts

Back