Get larger variety of probiotics through food sources

bearmom

Yes, this is one of my favorite subjects. I originally started reading about it when there was a study that linked obesity (or thinness) to our gut flora, but there have been studies that continue to link good flora to things like brain function and production of vitamins and fat storage, and bad flora to things like cancer.

I currently hope to get oxalobacter formigenes to help with kidney stones, but since I can't buy that strain in a supplement, then I eat naturally fermented foods to get as large a variety as possible in hopes of getting O forigenes, or a strain that has similar oxalate metabolizing properties. Here is a list I'd compiled and have posted before, but if you haven't tried any of these foods, something may be a useful addition to your diet.

I also hope to keep my gut so full of beneficial strains, that some of the less helpful types that say, cause stinky gas, don't get a good foothold. We can get overgrowths of bacteria in the pypassed limb (you will know by your smell), and which may cause a need to wipe the slate clean using an antibiotic like flagyl, but then it's important to make sure you repopulate with some more beneficial flora.

We all know yogurt can have probiotics, but many fermented foods are great sources, and the more strains, the better. If you want to try to get some probiotics in your diet, the foods of course cannot be pasteurized or homogenized or heat treated in a way that kills the proboitics.

Because these practices were started to keep us from poisoning ourselves, it's important to follow the rules closely if you make any of these yourself, or only buy from a trusted source. I've been lucky enough to find several near me that sell at a local food distributor, and a farmers market.

Foods you may want to try for probiotics:

natto - Fermented beans, and more common in Japan. It has several health benefits in addition to the probiotics, but the one most interesting to me is it's high vitamin K. I have found it in the frozen food section at the Asian market. Sadly, I can't get past the pungent smell and texture.

sauerkraut This would be the stuff made in brine, not vinegar. In addition to the probiotics, it also has digestive enzymes and vitamin C. Before I found it locally, I ordered raw organic sauerkraut from Amazon.

kimchi is sort of like the Korean version of saurkraut. More seasonings than saurkraut, and usually spicy. This can be made with a type of cabbage, or other vegetables, so it's not surprising that it has a variety of vitamins in addition to the probiotics. I get this at an Asian market, and she makes several varieties, including a wussy one for me, with very little red pepper, and lots of garlic.

miso Most of us have had this as soup, but I season other foods with it as well. Miso soup with egg or seaweed was a staple for me when I was freshly post op, and drank most of my food. In addition to probiotics, miso has readily absorbable protein, B12, zinc, copper and manganese. You can find miso in pretty much any grocery store.

tempeh This is also from soybeans, but originated in Indonesia. This is another one I'm not super keen on, as it has hint of ammonia smell till it's cooked (supposedly nutty flavor with a meatlike texture) but the thing is, over cooking these probiotic loaded foods, kills off the probiotics, so I don't bother with tempeh. I only like it deep fried in Asian cuisine, which I'm sure has negated the benefits. This also has highly digestible protein, and doesn't have the high sodium that some of the other things do, if that's and issue for you.

kefir I think this is more common in European countries, but we are catching up. It's fermented cow, goat or sheep's milk, and tastes like liquidy yogurt. The fermentation breaks down the lactose in the milk, so this is usually OK for the lactose intolerant. In addition to the probiotics and protein, there are some interesting things being looked at (animal studies so far) as far as kefiran having anti-tumor and anti-inflammatory properties.

I am very aware of the need to figure out some probiotic choices for my new tummy - so your post is very timely and appreciated. I just watched bag after bag of flagyl get hooked to my IV and now on bactrim so I'll be hunting down some kefir soon as I get home on Thursday. I know I've seen it at Costco. Greek yoghurt too, I know, but would also like to get a little more creative if it will repopulate me better.

YMMV...stuff that seems to help others sends me over the edge with different problems. So listen to what others say, try it if you feel like it, but if you start feeling crappy, consider that "the cure" for someone else just might be the problem for you.

Last edited:
One you didn't mention which is very easy to find (at least in the South) is buttermilk.

As a kid, I worked as a waitress. Someone ordered buttermilk. I poured some, but it "looked funny" to me. So I poured a little in a small glass to taste. Yuck! Bitter! I tossed out both glasses AND that quart of buttermilk. Same problem with the NEXT quart, too. I told my friend (still my BFF) who looked at me kinda funny, poured herself some, tasted it, and looked at me even funnier. "That's how it's SUPPOSED to taste, you idiot!"

I hate the taste of everything listed so far, except my pickled beets, if they count! LOL

Oh yes, and I adore buttermilk blended with berries in the summer. I think the stuff I get at the regular grocery has been heat treated, so I need to check. If that's the case, I bet I can find a better one at the co-op.

And YMMV absolutely applies to different probiotic supplements, and food sources. The kefir from Haggens does nothing for me, and they usually only have sweetened, but TJ's works for me, as does homemade. I also fart on the Primal Defence probiotic supplements, but the VSL#3 ones that I mix into stuff are like a miracle for me.

I never thought about beets, but the ones I've had are always canned, so they wouldn't count.

Oh yes, and I adore buttermilk blended with berries in the summer. I think the stuff I get at the regular grocery has been heat treated, so I need to check. If that's the case, I bet I can find a better one at the co-op.

And YMMV absolutely applies to different probiotic supplements, and food sources. The kefir from Haggens does nothing for me, and they usually only have sweetened, but TJ's works for me, as does homemade. I also fart on the Primal Defence probiotic supplements, but the VSL#3 ones that I mix into stuff are like a miracle for me.

I never thought about beets, but the ones I've had are always canned, so they wouldn't count.

Perfect example on the YMMV, I can handle Primal Defense, but the VSL#3 my GI doctor told me to take caused me HORRID, PAINFUL distention and bloating and gas and misery. A bariatric surgeon who shall remain nameless took one look at the abdominal xrays another doctor had ordered and said, "You must produce TREMENDOUS farts! Look at this! These are HUGE pockets of gas." It was so bad, I could hardly sit up in a chair...and it was a four hour drive home, a lot of sitting. I stopped the VSL #3 and it went away immediately.

So, see...we are exact opposites on this.

I just read how to make previously canned stuff work. I have to read more.

Lordy, I could never do natto. Never. I need to try me some Kefir, though. I think I've seen it sold at my local Kroger. Here in a few weeks, when I can summon the cash, I'm going to buy a probiotic...thinking Primal Defense since it seems to be so commonly used among DS'ers. I think my gut flora got messed up from bactrum - at the psych hospital, they were saying I had a kidney infection and gave me bactrum.

As a kid, I worked as a waitress. Someone ordered buttermilk. I poured some, but it "looked funny" to me. So I poured a little in a small glass to taste. Yuck! Bitter! I tossed out both glasses AND that quart of buttermilk. Same problem with the NEXT quart, too. I told my friend (still my BFF) who looked at me kinda funny, poured herself some, tasted it, and looked at me even funnier. "That's how it's SUPPOSED to taste, you idiot!"

I hate the taste of everything listed so far, except my pickled beets, if they count! LOL
Even tho buttermilk is common here in the South, I didn't grow up drinking it...just didn't like it. Even when cooking, I use the Saco powdered variety instead...easy way to have it on hand and not go bad.

What's the brand of fermented (truly kosher) pickles? Bubba's?
Yes, Bubbies, and I get another brand that makes pickles and kraut in flavors like curry or dill, from a company called Oly Kraut, but they started locally, so I'm not sure how widely distributed they are.

Howsomeever...

If you live in the US, it's hard to say how much live cultures remain in these foods after they are processed/pasteurized/whatever. And quite a few of those products advertised as having live cultures just add cultures after processing. So who knows if they are the good, naturally occurring bugs we seek? Have you noticed cheese and dairy products available on the other side of the pond are far superior in flavor and variety? That's because their cheeses, etc, are more natural and less processed. Here we live in a bug phobic society and we sterilize the crap out of everything. Taste be damned! The manufacturers love this because it gives the products longer shelf life. Real cheese molds. Get over it...for heaven's sake mold is what makes it real cheese. Here most people throw away cheese if they see mold. Me, I scrape it off and use the cheese. Been doing it for decades and I'm still here and healthier than most!

Clotted cream, sour cream, and all other products of that ilk are naturally made from rotting/fermenting dairy products usually at room temperature or a little above. Here, we use chemicals. Natural equals bugs and chemicals equals no bugs. Real yogurt is little more than rotten milk. You can make your own any time by putting small containers of milk on top of your hot water heater for 24 hours or so. Very few of us have ever tasted real milk even. Real milk doesn't taste anything like what is sold in our stores. I wonder about all the folks coming up with lactose/dairy intolerance. Is it real or is it because our products are chemically produced? Is it possible the good bugs that would let people enjoy dairy are being killed by processing? People used to eat a lot more dairy than they do today and yet intolerance to dairy products is becoming more common.

Real kraut and kim chee are very good. But again, it's hard to find the real thing.

If you have time, these things aren't hard to make and are becoming more popular. If you live in an area that's somewhat rural you may be able to buy real dairy. I noticed raw milk is being sold in Cali now. I'm hoping the popularity of probiotics may drive the market back to more natural products available here!

Latest posts

Back