GERD Reflux meds alert

Spiky Bugger

southernlady Liz, this might belong elsewhere or in more than one location...or nowhere. You decide.

Got this from my Gastro’s office today:

Recently, pharmaceutical companies and the FDA became aware of the presence of a chemical called NDMA in many, but not all, batches of the acid reducer medication Zantac (generic name ranitidine), which many patients use to treat heartburn and other acid conditions. NDMA is also present in some foods and is considered a carcinogen (cancer-causing substance) if present in quantities larger than what the FDA considers to be safe.

It isn't feasible to know which batches or sources of Zantac (name or generic brands) are safe and which might not be. The FDA is not recommending that patients discontinue use of these medications at this time. However, if you are taking Zantac or ranitidine and wish to discontinue the use of these medications, you may consider using any of the following instead:

Pepcid (generic-famotidine)
Tagamet (generic-cimetidine)
Axid (generic-nizatidine)

These are essentially the same type of drugs and generics are widely available and inexpensive.

If you have been taking prescription-strength Zantac or ranitidine, you may request a prescription for an alternative from your doctor or Advanced Practice Professional (NP or PA) through your inSite office.

We consider this issue to be a very small risk but are advising you about it in the interest of your safety.

You may read the full statement by the FDA by clicking HERE.

I heard about this a couple weeks ago and it really bummed me out. I had been taking ranitidine regularly (daily) for a long time now, ever since I've been trying to wean off omeprazole.

:mad:

Latest posts

Back