Food is frustrating.

CaitlynR

Aspiring Wizard
I’ve always been a picky eater. I feel I’m getting worse. I think some of that is that go to foods from before just are too carby now. For example I used to love Greek yogurt. However I can’t stand artificial sweeteners and other flavors are sugary now. I tried the unflavored kind but it tasted like eating sour cream.

I think it’s more than that though. Sometimes I have an aversion to the smell of cooking meat like I had when pregnant (not a possibility).

I am so sick of the foods I have been eating. It is super hard to get in my protein without adding carbs to it. So it feels like either not enough protein or too much carbs. It’s not like I can power through it most of the time. My body just doesn’t want it. I can only overpower for a few bites. I don’t get sick from anything currently so that’s not a problem. The only thing I can force on myself is one type of protein shake, which I drink 1-2 times a day.

My husband joked in the beginning that no one can get tired of bacon. I am tired of bacon. Almost always my body rejects chicken of any kind. I eat baked fish but hard to eat much unless I dip it in a carby sauce. I eat turkey but needs to be with some tortilla (wrap with mayo and maybe cheese). Beef in many forms still works if not cooked with much else (like just a roast or just a hamburger patty dipped in mayo and a tiny bit of ketchup). I can almost always eat tuna fish salad, but need crackers in order to eat more than 2 bites. Even my previously favorite protein bars are hard to choke down.

Even just in general still I have trouble with food many days. I could easily drink one 50 grams of protein or so shake and nothing else all day if I allowed myself. I don’t allow myself. But especially by the end of the day when it is dinner time I am so done with food but haven’t met my goals yet. I have a battle of wills with my body every evening lately.

Ideas? Any good source of DS friendly recipes that are easy to make and that don’t use any artificial sweeteners, for inspiration? I know there are keto sites but I don’t want to go as extreme with carbs.

I tried adding honey but still didn’t taste right.

Today I’ve had so little food. A half can of tuna with mayo and a few crackers. I’m trying to eat more but I really really don’t want to. It hasn’t been like this the whole time, just sometimes. I don’t know what causes it. Is this something other people have experienced? Right now I have this sausage that tastes great. But my body doesn’t want it. It’s like my stomach has an “out of order” sign on it.

It is super hard to get in my protein without adding carbs to it

I think it's fine to rely on protein drinks/shakes for awhile, in fact months. when your stomach doesn't want solids you don't need to eat them IMO. dial way back on the amount of heavy things like sausage when your stomach is unwilling - give it a break!

I am at 2 months out and struggle with food too. And yes the carb thing is tough. I am finding how things are cooked make a difference too. I am a huge sauce girl too and jumbo shrimp with cocktail sauce is a daily meal I have also found blue cheese dressing with buffalo sauce mixed in is great for chicken. I can't seam to eat sausage or bacon or fatty meats. Go figure. If you like shrimp give it a try it seams to be the only protein I can count on.

It took me 7 months to be able to eat again. And 13 months to really be able to eat anything. Takes time.

Shirmp, fresh mozeralla, eggs (yuck) etc helped. Chicken, Pork, and beef took time. Soft tofu worked. Had it fried at Japanese place a lot. Cheese was a stable.

Thanks galaxygrrl cheese is another hard one for me! I dont get it everything I supposed to be eating my new tummy doesn't like :-( But I will keep eating the shrimp!!!

Sorry you're having trouble.

Definitely following this for ideas though. I'm only a week out, still on liquids only, and already so sick of the things I can tolerate.

It took me 7 months to be able to eat again. And 13 months to really be able to eat anything. Takes time.

yes, and more for some than others - I lived on clear liquids for months, seriously, and I believe my honeymoon was more like more than 2 years than 1. also, I only had the VSG, but it was tight.

this bit is TEMPORARY so try to realize you will be able to eat more. and more. and still more!

at six months out I could eat egg SALAD but not eggs, same with chicken. adding mayo made it go down, apparently. luckily I wasn't trying to go "low fat" which I think is misguided.

Try these! Make a meatball mixture and add italian seasoning, parmesan, and garlic. Start with a cube of mozz and form the meatball around it. Bake at 350 till done and dip in marinara. You can keep a bunch of these in the fridge and just warm a couple at a time.

Try these! Make a meatball mixture and add italian seasoning, parmesan, and garlic. Start with a cube of mozz and form the meatball around it. Bake at 350 till done and dip in marinara. You can keep a bunch of these in the fridge and just warm a couple at a time.

That sounds really good! I'm going to try it when I'm back from my trip. You might also want to look at scotch eggs - egg + pork sausage - great food to prepare ahead then snack on. I've also been making a lot of quiche and sous vide egg cups (like Starbucks) as my 'grab and go' options.

Here's one version of Scotch eggs: https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes...-eggs-with-lovely-scottish-cheese-and-pickle/

Latest posts

Back