Food intolerances vs. SIBO

Settledownnow

I'm about 22 months out and eating a greater variety of foods and spending A LOT of time in the restroom. So much time, that I am exhausted and my gut feels awful. I'm not sure if I am eating combinations of foods that do not agree with me or if there is more to it. I'm taking probiotics and limiting carbs to about 100 gms daily. I do not limit fat/protein.

Is the only way to know to go back to basics (protein and water) and slowly add foods back into the diet?

If it were me, I would do that.

I’ve had a bear of a sinus infection all week, and no appetite as a result. I have stayed hydrated, but as a result of my lack of normal food, my gut is actually in better shape.

A few weeks ago, I discovered I usually feel better if I skip dairy products (yogurt, cheese, whey protein) when I ran out for a few days. This was a surprise because dairy tends to make up a large part of my diet.

This past week I did not pack a lunch for work. I ran out to Subway for lunch. I ate the protein/cheese with little lettuce and tomato from a sub (threw bread away), diet Minute Maid Lemonade, and baked chips. I bloated up and was in so much pain from gas I very nearly went home sick. I was in the restroom every hour. I do not tolerate the fat in regular chips (diarrhea) so I opted for the baked ones to try, but the diet lemonade and processed chips were very bad options for me!

You might need a short course of flagyl for bacterial overgrowth. The probiotics are a good thing, but sometimes the bad bugs gain a foothold. I wouldn't recommend continuous use of flagyl (or any antibiotic) because then they won't work when you really need them, but it sounds like right now you may really need them.

Also, I heard somewhere that the meat in Subway sandwiches isn't entirely meat. I don't know what kind of fillers they may (or may not) be using, but there could have been something in there that really did a number on you. I never eat there because I just don't like their products, so I can't speak from personal experience.

You might need a short course of flagyl for bacterial overgrowth. The probiotics are a good thing, but sometimes the bad bugs gain a foothold. I wouldn't recommend continuous use of flagyl (or any antibiotic) because then they won't work when you really need them, but it sounds like right now you may really need them.

Also, I heard somewhere that the meat in Subway sandwiches isn't entirely meat. I don't know what kind of fillers they may (or may not) be using, but there could have been something in there that really did a number on you. I never eat there because I just don't like their products, so I can't speak from personal experience.

What is the typical Flagyl dose and number of days? Maybe I will do this along with an elimination diet.

What is the typical Flagyl dose and number of days? Maybe I will do this along with an elimination diet.

I was just prescribed 500 mg, tid x14 days, which sounds like overkill to me.

HOWEVER, after the first day of that routine, 7-10 days' of misery disappeared...so there's that.

(Usually, I'm prescribed 500 mg, bid, x 7 days..maybe even ten days.)

Latest posts

Back