Fly vs. Drive Immediately Post-Surgery

Unfortunately the space in most RV bathrooms I've seen (in person and via Google Images) is not anything close to being enough for me to be able to clean myself after using the bathroom, for those where my butt would even fit in there in the first place (heh). There's just no way. Unfortunately, though I'd actually prefer to take the car (I enjoy long road trips usually, and it'd be cheaper) I think the best bet is going to be the plane. It's only one ninety-minute stint sans bathroom, and it'll be a large handicapped bathroom on both ends like I need.

Unfortunately the space in most RV bathrooms I've seen (in person and via Google Images) is not anything close to being enough for me to be able to clean myself after using the bathroom, for those where my butt would even fit in there in the first place (heh). There's just no way. Unfortunately, though I'd actually prefer to take the car (I enjoy long road trips usually, and it'd be cheaper) I think the best bet is going to be the plane. It's only one ninety-minute stint sans bathroom, and it'll be a large handicapped bathroom on both ends like I need.

You're right about the bathroom size of the RV, but, I have one and its not a showstopper...here's why. Most sporting goods, camping supply stores sell these real nice portable potties (about the size of a large igloo cooler) and are only about 50 bucks, they seal, don't stink and work great....put that in the middle of the floor when its needed, do your thing, when your done, it goes right under the table for storage SEALED until you need it next time...done deal!! I don't find airplane bathrooms very much bigger, so don't rule the RV thingy out just because of that. If it were me, that's what I would do.

In fact, as Rob noted, since you would be using your own portapotty, you could just rent a large cargo van (MUCH cheaper than renting a camper) with no windows and an open cargo area for room and privacy. Just an idea ... but I'd still rather dehydrate myself for the morning of a 90 min mid-day flight.

Rob - the bathroom on the plane is not an option for her - same issues of fitting in it.

In fact, as Rob noted, since you would be using your own portapotty, you could just rent a large cargo van (MUCH cheaper than renting a camper) with no windows and an open cargo area for room and privacy. Just an idea ... but I'd still rather dehydrate myself for the morning of a 90 min mid-day flight.

Rob - the bathroom on the plane is not an option for her - same issues of fitting in it.

OMG...that's a great idea, that's one of those ideas you hear and say...damn, why didn't I think of that....or an enclosed cargo trailer, smaller, easier to tow, cheaper. Your not using it for camping, so just put that in there, carry extra bedding, water, clothes etc, etc. Stop anywhere and its all right there, and my favorite part (after safe of course)...CHEAP!!

I prefer to fly vs. drive, but think you could make either mode of travel work. Wheelchair is essential for airport post-surgery. A seat near the front of the plane would also be a good request, as the aisle are narrow and you may bang into elbows or bags if you have to walk far.

Just a thought, but there are personal care pads a.k.a "shields" or "guards", which are similar to but more absorbent than sanitary napkins, and made for individuals with urinary incontinence. These can be helpful in situations where adult diapers would be desired, but are not possible. These are sold under brand names such as Poise, Tena, Attends, and Depends available at most drugstores.

Also, there are these ---> http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/tranquility-super-plus-liners/ID=prod6118365-product , made to go with the following product which fits up to a 90 inch waist, but which could be used in any underwear, really ---> http://www.dignitymedicalsupplies.c...nt-60-to-90-Waist--Qty-BG-of-1-EA_p_3067.html

Since we had one of these in our earthquake stuff...and since I had C-Diff and it was a 4+ hour drive to Mayo Clinic for an experimental treatment (didn't work), we took this along, just in case.

pp33.jpg

We also had plastic liners and deodorant, even though we wouldn't have used a bag twice. I carried an army poncho liner and we drive a Lexus Rx350...so all I would have to have done was open both doors on passenger side and clamp the poncho liner to the doors, forming a room.

I took way too much Lomotil...so while I DID need a potty for my bladder, my other issues were temporarily frozen.

Part of my fear of flying comes from many years ago when a plane first diverted to another airport, kept us on the tarmac there for an hour or so, and then returned us to a mostly closed airport.

I wasn't old, I fit just fine into airplane restrooms, my bowels were in original condition, my bladder hadn't yet fallen apart and it was still a horrific experience. I now, always, fear this could repeat at a most inopportune time...like post op.

Oh! My lapband surgery was in Monterrey, Mexico. The connections got messed up and we spent about fours hours in the nice lounge at the Mexico City airport...about two or three days post-op. Again, not something I would like to repeat.

Cargo van.

OMG...that's a great idea, that's one of those ideas you hear and say...damn, why didn't I think of that
I love those "life hacks" where there is something I would NEVER think of, but which, once you are told the idea, is ridiculously elegantly simple. Most of the time, I am NOT the one to see the easy fix in front of my eyes.

Last year, my son and his girlfriend decided to move. They found a place, gave notice to their old place, and had to be out at the end of the month. But the new place had to have something inspected - there was plenty of time - but I DIDN'T HAPPEN ON TIME! The g/f started to flip the hell out - talking about renting a storage area for a week, renting a UHaul truck twice, moving things twice, getting a hotel for them and boarding their cats, etc. And then asked her - why don't you just rent the UHaul for a week, store all your stuff in it, and then empty it when the apartment is available (and you can stay in our pool house with the cats). And she looked at me like I was a fucking genius - she had not considered being able to use the truck as a storage shed for a week and only having to do things once, plus cheaper.

But that was a rare one - I'm usually the one with my mouth agape at the simple solutions I would never have seen in a million years.

This post reminded me of my 3.5 hour drive home after my DS. It was a nightmare. My Lactose Intolerance kicked in 15 minutes in, and we stopped 8 times for me to have diarrhea. I would have given my left arm for a bucket with no fancy seat on it no less than 7 times on that ride. In a stick shift car that my husband THINKS he can drive (he cannot).

My vote is for the cargo van with a bucket. Hands down best idea, ever.

Latest posts

Back