Fly vs. Drive Immediately Post-Surgery

more2adore

So when I'm discharged from hospital, can we travel home right away or do i need to spend a few days in a hotel with hubby first? When we're ready to go home - is it better to fly (it'll only be about a 90-minute flight) or is it better to drive (about a nine hour drive)? Which is less painful for healing stomachs? I won't be able to use the restroom on the flight under any circumstances, so I hope holding it won't be an issue (I've held it on 6-hour cross-US flights before, but never just after surgery!).

If you are comfortable wearing a diaper and possibly having an accident/dealing with the ensuing odor, then flying might work fine. You CANNOT count on being able to hold your stuff early postop.

If I were in your shoes....oh wait, I was *g*.....I'd stay close to my surgeon for several days to be sure all was well. You are a very high risk patient, so my advice is stay close for a bit before heading home.

Your surgeon might also have something to say about increased risk of pulmonary embolism from flying, so consult with him and with other doctors engaged in your care. You will probably have cardiology and pulmonology involved on site due to your high risk status.

My surgeon kept out-of-town patients in the area for about a week...and I don't remember if that was a week after surgery date or a week after hospital discharge.

If you are comfortable wearing a diaper and possibly having an accident/dealing with the ensuing odor, then flying might work fine. You CANNOT count on being able to hold your stuff early postop.

If I were in your shoes....oh wait, I was *g*.....I'd stay close to my surgeon for several days to be sure all was well. You are a very high risk patient, so my advice is stay close for a bit before heading home.

Your surgeon might also have something to say about increased risk of pulmonary embolism from flying, so consult with him and with other doctors engaged in your care. You will probably have cardiology and pulmonology involved on site due to your high risk status.

Unfortunately they don't even make diapers in my size, even if I wanted to do that. (Eek.) We definitely passed stretches of road for over an hour with no bathroom on the drive down and back, though. :( It's just miles and miles (well, kilometers and kilometers, here) of farmland in the middle of nowhere. Not like US highways where you have a rest stop or a McDonald's every 20 miles, at least. So I'm not sure which is the lesser of two evils - the flight MIGHT be since it would only be one session of no bathroom access instead of multiple ones.

So you're saying stay in the area for like a week post-hospital discharge? So hubby will need to take off two weeks. We can do that, I'm pretty sure. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I do have compression stockings for my lymphedema, but I'll make sure to ask the doctor when I talk to him about whether the risk of pulmonary embolism is high enough that I shouldn't fly, AND how long I should stick around post-surgery. Thanks for making me think of those things - they hadn't occurred to me! :)

A 90 min flight with a bathroom immediately available at either end sounds MUCH better to me. And it seems to me you are LESS likely to get a blood clot on a 90 minute flight than on a 9 hour drive, no matter how many stops.

I stressed about this before my surgery and in hindsight I can honestly say that both have their advantages. Your doctor will want you to stick around for a while. I think it was 4 days and after a swallow test at MBC, but ymmv. Either way you go I think the biggest thing to remember that you will not be eating much at all at this point. A few tablespoons of sugar free Jell-O was a big deal. What gastric distress might arise will be correspondingly small. Also, on travel day you can just play it very safe with what you take in.

Driving: You are in control. You can drive like a daemon but if something happens, you can hang out at a restroom for as long as you like. Most cars are pretty comfortable and with the addition of pillows and fluffy blankets you can position yourself to the best. Maybe you could sleep spread out in the back seat most of the way home.

Flying: Fast, but jarring. Remember it may be a 90 minute flight, but entirety of the whole trip to and from the airport, check in, security, waiting, boarding.... And during all of it you have no control, you meet their schedule or else. I got a wheel chair and I was glad because I walking slowly enough that people would try to get around me and often jar me as they went by. Also, there isn't a lot of choice for how to arrange your body in the airplane seat. But pain pills can be your friend and the flight became nothing but a small annoyance after I took some strong ones.

I had no gastric issues on the way home and that was with a ds. It was just a 6 hour flight, but It took over 12 hours to go from MBC to home. If we would have driven it would have been 24 hours, but we would have split it up into several days. I had been looking forward to rewarding hubby with a play day in Los Vegas whilst I snoozed away in a hotel room.

Honestly, you can make either work best for you. And although the veterans are wise to warn of issues that might arise, everybody that left with me or I saw leave during my week at the hospital was more than fine. We were all taking 5 to 10 walks around inside and outside the hospital every day. My travel day was the least amount of walking I had done in days. Our bodies were more than ready for the trip home.

My flight after my surgery with Dr K. was about 2 hours. There was know way to drive. I had already had 6 blood clots in August of 2012. The main thing to remember is to keep your feet moving while your flying. This isn't as hard as it sounds. Take a MP3 player with some upbeat music on it. I did fine and I was retaining a lot of water because Dr. K. makes sure you are well hydrated. I might have used the rest room once while we where in the air. I say flying is the better option because if you drive they'll tell you to stop once an hour to walk. It is to easy to fall asleep on a car ride and not keep those feet moving. You will definitely need a wheel chair in the airport. I had to stay 1 week in a in a motel after being released from the hospital. i was in the hospital for 5 days.Hope this helps with any questions for your doctor and how you should travel.
Barb

My flight after my surgery with Dr K. was about 2 hours. There was know way to drive. I had already had 6 blood clots in August of 2012. The main thing to remember is to keep your feet moving while your flying. This isn't as hard as it sounds. Take a MP3 player with some upbeat music on it. I did fine and I was retaining a lot of water because Dr. K. makes sure you are well hydrated. I might have used the rest room once while we where in the air. I say flying is the better option because if you drive they'll tell you to stop once an hour to walk. It is to easy to fall asleep on a car ride and not keep those feet moving. You will definitely need a wheel chair in the airport. I had to stay 1 week in a in a motel after being released from the hospital. i was in the hospital for 5 days.Hope this helps with any questions for your doctor and how you should travel.
Barb

We'll do our best with the wheelchair. Unfortunately airlines don't seem on top of the whole bariatric wheelchair thing... we expressly requested one, but on our trip from the US to here, there were two airports that didn't even have one. One crammed me into a regular size wheelchair (NOT safe) and in the other I just had to walk. Hopefully we'll have better luck this time.

Odd man out here...there wasn't any good flying option for me, but I preferred the drive. I had control over when I needed to stop. I'd just hope for a stop at the halfway place and make it a two-day drive.

I. Cannot. IMAGINE my immediate post-op bowels having to wait for "my turn" in a plane. No way.

It would have been a 26 hour drive for me. That wasn't an option..My flight didn't leave until about 1pm so I just didn't eat anything that day Just sipped water and had coffee on the plane.

I had a 3 hour drive home. I had no bowel issues. It took about 4 days or so for my bowels to "wake up". Hell I didn't even pee for the first 30 hours or so after surgery. I never had a catheter at any time while in the hospital. I did stop once during the drive home to walk around a bit.

We'll do our best with the wheelchair. Unfortunately airlines don't seem on top of the whole bariatric wheelchair thing... we expressly requested one, but on our trip from the US to here, there were two airports that didn't even have one. One crammed me into a regular size wheelchair (NOT safe) and in the other I just had to walk. Hopefully we'll have better luck this time.
Can you rent one for the way there and back?

Latest posts

Back