Flour Chart

Interesting chart...I did notice the one highest in protein comes with it's own set of issues...the soy. I tend to avoid soy because of my hypothyroid.

Yep soy interferes with the thyroid. I found that out the hard way a long time ago...when I started using soy milk in protein shakes (TSH # exploded lol).

But really interesting chart, thanks @newanatomy!

Nifty :).

I've been making an almond meal and egg white based cake for many years just because it's German. You can fiddle with this for yourself: Whip egg white/s very stiff with sugar (or your non-sugar baking substitute, or a combination thereof), and some vanilla extract, or a shot of bourbon, or whatever other nut-happy flavoring floats your boat. Stir in almond and/or hazelnut meal to make a pretty stiff batter. Bake it in an appropriately sized and shaped container, best lined with baking parchment or greased to blue blazes, or both. Spring form type pans are safest for getting this stuff out intact.

ETA: Going on memory, but I think the full springform size recipe is something like 4-6 egg whites, 150 grams of sugar and 200 grams of nut meal. But don't quote me on that. And of course I can't find that cookbook on the fly...

@Elizabeth N. , how do you keep the whites from going flat when adding the alcohol? I just made Oopsie Rolls yesterday and they were (again) so nasty I threw them all out.

Add the alcohol after the sugar, and try putting a little cream of tartar in the egg whites as you beat them. Or use a flavoring syrup or powder.

Latest posts

Back