Five fruits and veggies

Georgepds

Are whole grains worth the trouble

As one of the 3 vegetables per day I started eating a cup of corn kernels. They are starchy so I wondered if they were worth the trouble

There were 2 reasons for corn

The first was macular degeneration. A friend of mine, in her 90s, is going blind from it. Cursory examination of the literature showed there was little or nothing you could do about it. It also showed it tracked inversely with 2 carotenoids, leutin and zeaxanthin, found in the macula. Corn is one of the best sources of these nutrients

The 2nd reason was colorectal cancer, which took out my paternal uncle, a very ugly way to go. Whole grain consumptuon tracks inversely with with this cancer. At about 200 gm/day your risk is reduced ~60%

So, hard to tell if it's worth the starch, but easy to see it is not worthless

Dietary sources of lutein and zeaxanthin carotenoids and their role in eye health

Dietary fibre, whole grains, and risk of colorectal cancer: systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies

..see fig 4

Georgepds

So.. this appears to be a monologue... but WTH

The 4 fruits today were avacado, grapes, tangerine and banana

Anyone else?

hilary1617

First time at the rodeo.
I don't typically count fruits, but today involved some apple and dried cranberries (within chicken salad), tomato, avocado, two clementines and some lemon slices in my H20.