Five fruits and veggies

For those of you who like studies, NHANES is the study I use for nutrition an heart health

For us meat eaters, processed meats will kill you, unprocessed red meats don't really matter (see fig 1 in the journal)... so better to eat that 20 ounce rib eye than the bacon bits. Even the quote below berates unprocessed red meat... but look at the effect 0.4 % compared to 9.5% for too much sodium and 8.2% for processed meats

Here is the simple reference

Here is my simple summary

~~~~AVOID
sodium .. ...<AVOID><<<<<<*<<
SSBs, and . ......<AVOID><<<<<<<<<<<<
Processed meats, .......<AVOID><<<<<<<<<<<

~~~~~~~ DO IT
nuts/seed .....<DO IT>
seafood omega-3 fats, .......<DO IT>
vegetables, .......<DO IT>
fruits, ... ....<DO IT>
Whole grains ....... <DO IT. -- DON'T CARE>

~~~~~ DON'T CARE
polyunsaturated fats (2.3%) and ....<DON'T CARE>
unprocessed red meats (0.4%).....<DON'T CARE>

Here is the journal article

"The researchers investigated the relationships of 10 different foods and nutrients with deaths related to heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes. They also compared data on participants’ age, sex, ethnicity, and education. They found that nearly half of all the deaths in the United States in 2012 that were caused by cardiometabolic diseases were associated with suboptimal eating habits. Of 702,308 adult deaths due to heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes, 318,656 (45%) were associated with inadequate consumption of certain foods and nutrients widely considered vital for healthy living, and overconsumption of other foods that are not.

"The highest percentage of cardiometabolic disease-related death
(9.5%) was related to excess consumption of sodium.

Not eating enough nuts and seeds (8.5%),
seafood omega-3 fats (7.8%),
Vegetables (7.6%),
fruits (7.5%),
whole grains (5.9%),
or polyunsaturated fats (2.3%)
also increased risk of death compared with people who had an optimal intake of these foods/nutrients.

Eating too much processed meat (8.2%),
sugar-sweetened beverages (7.4%),
and unprocessed red meat (0.4%)
also raised the risk of heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes-related
"
The problem with studies like this is the use normal anatomy. Ours is not normal on purpose.

Last edited:
I don’t do banana...way too much sugar for me. Hubby is eat a banana a day cause his potassium is on the low side (but still normal) and it was affecting his sleep.
Thankfully, it seems to work for me. I've eaten them for years. I think it began to ward off leg cramps, but I just really like a good-sized banana before bed.

The NHANES study showed, if I read it right, the three killers (diabetes, stroke, and heart disease) were ~50% attributable to modifiable nutrition habits.
Our DS directly affects those three killers by making us no longer morbidly obese. That in itself modified our nutritional habits.

Shall we forget the fruit and veggies and chow down on salted bacon? What shall it be... the apple or the slim jim?

The keto crowd would opt for the nacho cheese–flavored slim jim, do we join them?
I’d do the apple. Hubby would opt for the slim jim....personal taste.

Until recently, I'd go for the nacho cheese flavored slim jim.... but I'm trying to like the apple.. pink ladies are the current favorites

Not so much taste, as a desire to avoid a premature death. Life is sweet..

Until recently, I'd go for the nacho cheese flavored slim jim.... but I'm trying to like the apple.. pink ladies are the current favorites

Not so much taste, as a desire to avoid a premature death. Life is sweet..
Depends on what I’m aiming for. I actually prefer Galas or Fiji. My all time favorite is Arkansas Black but those are not found in stores. You need a real apple orchard for those

Last summer, while in Maine, there were several old apple trees with fruit that reminded me of my childhood. Not a known variety, more of a Heritage apple. I got permission to pick and made apple sauce out of them. My grandmother use to make apple sauce out of heritage apples. Nothing quite like them.

For those of you who like studies, NHANES is the study I use for nutrition an heart health

For us meat eaters, processed meats will kill you, unprocessed red meats don't really matter (see fig 1 in the journal)... so better to eat that 20 ounce rib eye than the bacon bits. Even the quote below berates unprocessed red meat... but look at the effect 0.4 % compared to 9.5% for too much sodium and 8.2% for processed meats

Here is the simple reference

Here is my simple summary

~~~~AVOID
sodium .. ...<AVOID><<<<<<*<<
SSBs, and . ......<AVOID><<<<<<<<<<<<
Processed meats, .......<AVOID><<<<<<<<<<<

~~~~~~~ DO IT
nuts/seed .....<DO IT>
seafood omega-3 fats, .......<DO IT>
vegetables, .......<DO IT>
fruits, ... ....<DO IT>
Whole grains ....... <DO IT. -- DON'T CARE>

~~~~~ DON'T CARE
polyunsaturated fats (2.3%) and ....<DON'T CARE>
unprocessed red meats (0.4%).....<DON'T CARE>

Here is the journal article

"The researchers investigated the relationships of 10 different foods and nutrients with deaths related to heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes. They also compared data on participants’ age, sex, ethnicity, and education. They found that nearly half of all the deaths in the United States in 2012 that were caused by cardiometabolic diseases were associated with suboptimal eating habits. Of 702,308 adult deaths due to heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes, 318,656 (45%) were associated with inadequate consumption of certain foods and nutrients widely considered vital for healthy living, and overconsumption of other foods that are not.

"The highest percentage of cardiometabolic disease-related death
(9.5%) was related to excess consumption of sodium.

Not eating enough nuts and seeds (8.5%),
seafood omega-3 fats (7.8%),
Vegetables (7.6%),
fruits (7.5%),
whole grains (5.9%),
or polyunsaturated fats (2.3%)
also increased risk of death compared with people who had an optimal intake of these foods/nutrients.

Eating too much processed meat (8.2%),
sugar-sweetened beverages (7.4%),
and unprocessed red meat (0.4%)
also raised the risk of heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes-related
"
For what it’s worth, processed meat like pepperoni and salami is no bueno for my guts. I used to eat these foods a lot when i was doing Atkins or low carb in general. Now they go right through
me and result in bright red, angry BMs. Isn’t it interesting when our bodies tell us in no uncertain terms that some foods are bad news.

So.... a little more on 5 fruits and veggies.... it's now 3 fruits and 3 veggies per day, and see to the protein... I can count to 3 (each), and then I stop paying attention. My understanding of the recommendation is now at least 5 fruits and veggies total, so more is better, just see to the minimum

It's way different from how I used to eat, which was to try for as little as possible. Now I have nutrient goals each day. I wake up in the morning and the clock starts again. It's a good simple way to "get back on track"

I have no idea that those of us with DS respond to the variety of nutrients in the same manner as people without surgery, but I do know that no fruits and veggies means no nutrients from the same

As to protein... I had the annual talk with the dietician from the WL clinic, and I decided to refocus. The oatmeal at breakfast is yogurt again, some, but not all the beans in the chilli is now lean ground turkey.

The oatmeal was for whole grains and heart health ( beta glucans). I now get the grains from corn ( one of the veggies), and the beta glucans from mushrooms in the chilli. The beans were for protein and soluble fiber. The protein is now from the yogurt and lean turkey, the soluble fiber from chia, which makes for a good sauce thickner for the chilli.

Weight is pretty stable, between 175 and 180 lbs, just a tad overweight, BMI~ 26, but that's fine by me

I don't typically count fruits, but today involved some apple and dried cranberries (within chicken salad), tomato, avocado, two clementines and some lemon slices in my H20.

Latest posts

Back