Fistula complication.

CristyA

I am curious to know others experiences when this was found before a revision to DS from RNY.

Is it even still possible?

I will be speaking with the surgeon once all the other Preop tests are in. I don’t have pre-approval from my insurance yet either.

Have you actually been diagnosed as having a fistula? If so, this could be your ticket to a revision, as it's a technical complication from your old RNY that can only be remedied with surgery. Make sure your potential surgeon knows about it.

Yes, I had an EGD. I actually have 2 fístulas connecting my pouch to the old stomach. The surgeon was the one who ordered the test.

Good luck. I was one of the 1st revisions from rny to ds. It can be done. Take a look at the vetted dr list who do real DS and not that unproven sips surgery

I am a RNY to DS and had a fistula but that was not known until I was on the operating table. Everything is very individualized -- it will depend on your insurance, type of fistula, surgeon, etc. Be sure to only go to an experienced RNY to DS surgeon as it is a very difficult and specialized surgery. This may mean you have to travel out of state.

I am a RNY to DS and had a fistula but that was not known until I was on the operating table. Everything is very individualized -- it will depend on your insurance, type of fistula, surgeon, etc. Be sure to only go to an experienced RNY to DS surgeon as it is a very difficult and specialized surgery. This may mean you have to travel out of state.

Yes, I am seeing Dr Ayoola. He is on the list. I am traveling from AZ to TX. I’m just impatiently waiting to to hear back from his office after all the testing he ordered. I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask what others have been through.

I’m not sure what’s going on, honestly. Maybe 2 fistulas, aren’t a big deal? My tentative surgery date is October 26th. I’ve been trying to get in touch with the insurance person at the Drs office but they haven’t been available when I am available to speak. Summer is a busy time with my kids activities. I’d like them to at least get a pre-approval before instead of waiting October to start the paper work (I will be done with the required 6month nut consults in October).

I spoke to my insurance and they said I can ask the doctor to write a letter asking to waive the nut consults because of the fistula complications but I’m not sure the Dr thinks that is necessary. I need to just make some time to call and talk this all out.

I welcome any advice!

I’m not sure what’s going on, honestly. Maybe 2 fistulas, aren’t a big deal? My tentative surgery date is October 26th. I’ve been trying to get in touch with the insurance person at the Drs office but they haven’t been available when I am available to speak. Summer is a busy time with my kids activities. I’d like them to at least get a pre-approval before instead of waiting October to start the paper work (I will be done with the required 6month nut consults in October).

I spoke to my insurance and they said I can ask the doctor to write a letter asking to waive the nut consults because of the fistula complications but I’m not sure the Dr thinks that is necessary. I need to just make some time to call and talk this all out.

I welcome any advice!

They cannot submit preapproval to the insurance company until you have met 6-month nutrition consult. Check with your insurance company. I do not believe the 6-month nut consult is required since you already had RNY and have complications. However, I did do the 6-month consult and was told it was required. I was not up to fighting it and made the best of the information to learn to manage emotional eating to be successful with the DS.

They cannot submit preapproval to the insurance company until you have met 6-month nutrition consult. Check with your insurance company. I
Not everyone has to do 6 months. Depends on insurance.
I had BCBSTN Medicare, no 6 month requirement.
Husband had United Healthcare. It supposedly had a 6 month requirement but his employer had an override on that. All he had to prove was a BMI with comorbids of 35 or more for the five previous years.

Ask him to waive the consult, including a statement that you are educated about the nutritional requirements for the DS.
Yup, That's exactly what I did. I wrote an email to the person who handles the communication with insurance at the office. At the very least a conditional pre-certification is possible pending the last nutrition consults. I requested they ask for the waiver and I listed all of the symptoms and ER visits I've had lately. It can't hurt to try and get it done sooner rather than later. I really just want to get it over with so I can start feeling better.

I'm about getting annoyed with the Drs. office because when I call I either get the front office receptionist who is very kind but doesn't have the information that I need OR I get the insurance person's voicemail. It could be that they have called me back I haven't found a voicemail so I don't think they have called me back after 2 voicemails. I hope to get a response to the email I sent yesterday by the end of the week. If not then I am calling again and getting the receptionist to get me the actual person I need to speak to instead of sending me to their voicemail. I really hate being demanding and confrontational but I've already had all the tests done and Dr is a good one. I'd hate to have to start looking for a new doctor all over again.

Yup, That's exactly what I did. I wrote an email to the person who handles the communication with insurance at the office. At the very least a conditional pre-certification is possible pending the last nutrition consults. I requested they ask for the waiver and I listed all of the symptoms and ER visits I've had lately. It can't hurt to try and get it done sooner rather than later. I really just want to get it over with so I can start feeling better.

I'm about getting annoyed with the Drs. office because when I call I either get the front office receptionist who is very kind but doesn't have the information that I need OR I get the insurance person's voicemail. It could be that they have called me back I haven't found a voicemail so I don't think they have called me back after 2 voicemails. I hope to get a response to the email I sent yesterday by the end of the week. If not then I am calling again and getting the receptionist to get me the actual person I need to speak to instead of sending me to their voicemail. I really hate being demanding and confrontational but I've already had all the tests done and Dr is a good one. I'd hate to have to start looking for a new doctor all over again.
I learned with hubby’s office to have him cc the surgeon on all correspondence. Keeps the others on top of things if they know their boss is getting a copy.

Latest posts

Back