Enhanced Malabsorbtion and No Carbs

Dad is doing well. His head and right shoulder are still hurting from the procedure, and that is really bothering him, perhaps in part because this is precisely where his chronic headache hurts, and he was hoping that headache would go away with the surgery, since he unexpectedly got relief from it for several days after the diagnostic high volume spinal tap. I keep reminding him that the surgery coincidentally was in the exact same place (back of his head to the right of center for the burr hole in his skull to put the tubing into his ventricles and the valve, and down his neck to his right shoulder where they threaded the lower portion of the tubing to drain into his abdomen), so he may not be able to tell whether it’s headache or surgery pain. Also, he has about 7-8 staples in his scalp which will be removed a week from today. That area is still noticeably swollen and tender.

it’s hard to tell if he’s gotten much benefit yet. His gait seems a little better, but he’s still wobbly. Can’t tell any difference in his mentation. But the surgeon set the flow rate on the shunt low to get his brain used to the drainage without causing a hematoma from excessively high flow rate - it will be adjusted at his post op appointment next week.

He starts in-home PT today. His VA home care has been very good and very much appreciated. It’s a little tricky having to juggle VA care and Medicare, but I think I’m managing to get the best of both.
Didn't realize he hadn't been 'turned on' yet but when I stop to think about it, makes perfect sense. Is the GF now out of the picture?

Glad he‘s healing, DianaCox
My Charles has his MRI and shunt “study” on Thursday to see if his just needs tweaking or he needs a new one.

Also, make sure your dad has the card with the serial number of his shunt to keep in his wallet. It will also help for him to have a medical bracelet (or necklace) with the info on it. Charles has his listed on his MedicAlert necklace. If he ever needs an MRI and he’s unconscious and no one is with him, he will need that info to have it reset. Charles has had a neurosurgeon or neurosurgical PA attend his MRI’s to recheck the setting afterwards.

I have the card - he shouldn’t be anywhere without us as long as he’s living with us.

I hope Charles’ study just shows his needs a tweak/adjustment. Dad is having a CT before his post op appointment on Tuesday - I understand MRIs are an issue going forward.

My Charles had his brain scan yesterday (and yes, he told his daughter they DID find one, lol). They tweaked the settings on the shunt and we have a repeat visit in a month. We will be over in Elkhart so that visit is doable for a day trip. Tweaking the setting was what we hoped for.
I'm glad they were able to tweak settings instead of replacement! :)

Is diet fatigue real? Maybe it's combination of COVID plus 2 years of pretty strict low carb. Maybe I want food to distract me from the fact that I am missing all those things I used to just do? Or maybe I used all those activities to distract me from all those delicious foods I can't eat?

42 days till Labor Day. Still a long slog.

Is diet fatigue real? Maybe it's combination of COVID plus 2 years of pretty strict low carb. Maybe I want food to distract me from the fact that I am missing all those things I used to just do? Or maybe I used all those activities to distract me from all those delicious foods I can't eat?

42 days till Labor Day. Still a long slog.

You have been so disciplined and consistent. I admire that kind of strength.

You have been so disciplined and consistent. I admire that kind of strength.
In my world, being successful at weight loss is always followed by epic failure. I have had a lifetime of waiting for the other shoe to fall. In the past my willpower and strength has always been finite.

Thanks for your comment and I will do my best to just keep on!

for sure everything is worse for everybody thanks to covid. well, most people at least. everyone I know! as someone who already had depression and anxiety it does me no good to watch others suddenly struggling with them.

the "we are all in it together" thing doesn't seem to help, either.

my point is, give yourself some slack and then some extra slack.

for sure everything is worse for everybody thanks to covid. well, most people at least. everyone I know! as someone who already had depression and anxiety it does me no good to watch others suddenly struggling with them.

the "we are all in it together" thing doesn't seem to help, either.

my point is, give yourself some slack and then some extra slack.
I live in fear of slacking all the way to the bakery...

Latest posts

Back