EGD with Stent

I'm so sorry you are going through all this. It makes me wonder if perhaps the stent isn't positioned exactly as it should be. Hopefully the scan will sort it out and you'll get the help you need. Please keep us posted.

The CT scan showed it was in the right place and that I had no obstructions nor was I dehydrated. I was lightheaded and dizzy from being in pain and having a stricture with a stent. I was very surprised that I wasn't dehydrated because I haven't been able to get even 32 ounces a day and I am still breastfeeding. I could feel her sucking out all the moisture out of me! Jk. But I felt really really dry everywhere.

He prescribed more zofran, pantoprazole, carafate and pepcid. He also offered to admit me but that would be too hard on my family and I don't want to be there anyways. Also it's too expensive.

The nurse gave me "advice" too after I said I hoped the stent would work and that this was the end of my complications. He said that would be nice but he doubted it! That I should follow my surgeon's instructions. As though I had caused this?! This was after I said it all started after I had a stomach virus in October.

He was the main reason I declined the morphine because he was looking for an AHA moment to try and "catch" me at being a drug seeker. He spent time trying to tell me that I wouldn't want to drink the contrast drink if I had morphine and that I could decline any treatments. It was a mess. I should've taken the morphine despite the nurse being so fervent about me not having it.

I hope the new meds will help, and most of all hope you can get that miserable stent removed soon.

I had a stent (actually a couple) for my gastric leak post-op and was NPO for weeks and then was "supposed" to be only full liquid (I did not know this was to continue) and tube feeding. Are you on a highly restricted diet for the stent? The GI doc was horrified to learn that I had been eating tuna salad and other foods with the stent (I did not know I was not supposed to eat solids). It was a relief to have it removed.

I had a stent (actually a couple) for my gastric leak post-op and was NPO for weeks and then was "supposed" to be only full liquid (I did not know this was to continue) and tube feeding. Are you on a highly restricted diet for the stent? The GI doc was horrified to learn that I had been eating tuna salad and other foods with the stent (I did not know I was not supposed to eat solids). It was a relief to have it removed.
I was told a liquid diet 1-2 weeks but I have been struggling to get water in. That has been improving lately. Less spasms every time there's something in my stomach. Warm beverages seem to be better than cold. I made a cheese and broccoli soup and then blended it and that actually felt good in my stomach. Like there was more cushion between my stomach and the irritating stent. So far I haven't been able to finish a protein drink because they're too frothy and cold if I make them myself. I did get a new shipment of Nectar unflavored protein and then also Unjury RTD to try.

How long did you have it in?

How long did you have it in?

I can't remember -- it is kind of a blur at this point. I had a lot of complications with my RNY to DS (gastric leak, sepsis, etc.) and was in the hospital for a month. I think I had a stent for about 8 weeks. I was NPO for almost a month with a TF. The docs at the hospital cleared me to eat very soft food not knowing that the GI doc did not want me eating with the stent. I was on a TF for at least another month after I was discharged too so I did not have to eat. I was on a lot of pain meds (I had lung surgery from infected lungs and liver drains due to infected liver) so the stent was kind of just one more thing for me, and I probably did not feel the pain as you do.

I can't remember -- it is kind of a blur at this point. I had a lot of complications with my RNY to DS (gastric leak, sepsis, etc.) and was in the hospital for a month. I think I had a stent for about 8 weeks. I was NPO for almost a month with a TF. The docs at the hospital cleared me to eat very soft food not knowing that the GI doc did not want me eating with the stent. I was on a TF for at least another month after I was discharged too so I did not have to eat. I was on a lot of pain meds (I had lung surgery from infected lungs and liver drains due to infected liver) so the stent was kind of just one more thing for me, and I probably did not feel the pain as you do.
That definitely seems like it was an overwhelming and scary time in your life. Sepsis is so dangerous.

Latest posts

Back