Duodenal Switch Journey

Lilyofthevalley

Revived & Revitalized
This is what the Duodenal Switch surgery has done for me personally.
In the summer of 2012, I could only walk for short distances. I am talking 10-50 feet and that was with assistance, a walker, or canes. Standing still had become all but impossible. I had high blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, fibromyalgia, lymphedema, and a host of other medical problems which I later discovered included NASH and Kidney Stones. I was on three blood pressure medicines, had horrible leg ulcers that never healed, was in constant pain, used a c-pap machine, and had to sit up to sleep because I could not breathe lying down. I had stopped driving, going out with my husband or friends, hadn't been in my own basement for four years, had not gone to the grocery store in two years, and often did not answer the doorbell. I had become inactive in the Church I love because I was too embarrassed by my looks and the incontinence garments I needed constantly. I was depressed mentally, physically and emotionally. My poor husband was virtually a widower who did all the laundry, shopping, cleaning, and most of the cooking, for himself and the sad lady wearing a 6X moo moo who sat in a lift chair all day. I had become a recluse and I was only "existing."

In September of 2012, I made the most important decision of my life (after Jesus, marriage & having babies) when I had DS surgery. After loosing 206 pounds, my life has changed incredibly! Today: no diabetes, no boils, no leg ulcers, (scarred but healed) still have a c-pap but it's been adjusted way down, and I sleep in a bed now. I can walk to the mail box or to a neighbors house without assistance, I drive, I do all the grocery shopping, do laundry in my basement, and climb stairs without distress. I shopped the stores this Christmas and not online, for the first time in eight years. I am very active in my Church again, workout several times a week and volunteer twice a week at a local school. I can stand on my feet for 30 mins or more at a time to do simple tasks like cooking and cleaning house. I wear jeans and skirts again, and my clothes are size 14-18's. I have been to two concerts in the last six months, attended a two day conference in a huge convention center, and was able to attend my grandchildren's school programs this season. In other words I got my life back. For the first time in ten years I can feel and see the sunshine, life is in color again, and I am happy to be here.

My life is not perfect and neither is my health. I did a lot of damage over long years, but I am improving everyday. I still deal with health concerns, have pain, need physical therapy, and I am still almost 60, but I don't feel trapped or helpless anymore. I find great strength from the experiences and advice of others. I don't let myself get upset or overly sensitive when answers to my questions seem to implicate my behavior. I constantly am checking, rethinking, and changing, my old habits and ideas about food and diet. I strive to continually take responsibility for my weight, my health, and my actions.

This surgery should never be taken lightly. It is not for everyone. Success is not easy, and requires time, effort and education. I work every day at learning more about how to manage my new body and my new life. I know my "new way" of eating and tracking my health must be ongoing if I want to maintain my weight and continue my happy life. I keep a picture of that sad lady in the 6X moo moo with me at all times...to remind me of where I have been...and where I never want to go again.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome story, DeeDee. I keep my old driver's license behind my new one in my wallet. Every once in awhile someone will ask why I carry 2 people's ID's. I have no other before photos, sadly. I shunned the camera. And I know what a moo moo is. My mother was very fond of hers.

You have come even further than I knew, and overcome so much! I love your expression of life being in color again.
Congratulations on your new life!

Larra

I am so inspired by your journey, DeeDee. It doesn't seem that long ago that we both went in for our DSs two days apart. Wow! What a difference that time has made. So happy you are living your life 'in color' now! Congratulations!

Thanks all, for your kind words. I don't think I would be as happy as I am today and doing as well with the DS if it had not been for the help of the DS vets who have supported and advised me over the last 16 months. The experience of others is valuable and often vital to having our own successful DS experience.

Congratulations! I love your story. What I look forward to most with weight loss is not the number on the scale, but my quality of life. I love the high quality of life you're living. I'm so happy for you!

Latest posts

Back