Duodenal switch done in Mexico? How much did it cost and were you satisfied?

So far I have started my search for wls. I am pretty set on the ds, my current insurance doesn't cover wls so I will be switching during open enrollment (starts tomorrow) with that said I have heard that some insurances you end up having more out of pocket fees than if you were to opt to go to a surgeon in Mexico. Has anyone had the ds done in Mexico and if so who was your doctor and how was your experience. Are you satisfied with the surgery?

That was exactly the case with me. My insurance only covered 1/3 of the costs. I did go to Mexico and saved a ton. It was 11K for a full, virgin DS. I went to Dr. Esquerra at Mexicali Bariatric. We have lot of his patients here.

I got great care and more attention from the Drs than I would have gotten in the US. I had 3 Drs stop by twice a day for three days and the nursing was fine. Pain management was fine. It was a very smooth process.

I thought I was crazy when I first thought about Mexico, but the more I researched it, the more I felt comfortable with it. For a DS, Dr. Esquerra is vetted. There is another Dr that is vetted and you can find on the DS facebook group, but I did not take that route.

I do think it's very important to line up a good primary care doctor for once you surgery is done. It took me a few weeks to find the right Doctor. But the fact my PCP knows about the DS made me much more comfortable with Mexico. I also think it helps to have a local in person group to go to.

It's not crazy to go to Mexico, you just need to do some extra research and have follow up care lined up.

Oh, I went and found this link for you. It's a full write up of the experience in Mexico.

Admin note: I turned it into a pdf to link here. One of the few rules I have in place is not linking to another forum that does not allow us to link to here.

Attachments

• Sleeve eperience in Mexico.pdf
    76.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:
I paid 12,500 for my surgery with Dr. Esquerra in Mexicali , because it was a revision . I would do it again in a heartbeat. The car was outstanding and I'm losing faster than I expected.

I know Im late to the party, but does anybody know what bowel length Dr.Esquerra does? Is it different for all patients? Does he do a standard 75/100/150, use the hess method etc...

I know Im late to the party, but does anybody know what bowel length Dr.Esquerra does? Is it different for all patients? Does he do a standard 75/100/150, use the hess method etc...
He follows a Hess type methodology where he measures the total SBL and then makes the CC and AL a % of that length.

Latest posts

Back