DS: Only the best should get the best?

exactly - lots of very good posts. *group hug*

I believe healthcare should be a right and the fact that it really isn't and hasn't been is one of the reasons we are not - or soon will not - be a First World Country anymore. sadly.

I know...and I knew that when I made my first post...which being still quite new to these boards, I should have just kept my mouth shut.
I don't want to be not welcome here...I know no one personally who's had the DS so I could use the support offered here.
Oh well, I'm almost 44 yrs old and still haven't learned when to NOT open my mouth!

This is your first mistake.... Debate and controversy is healthy. I don't have to agree with you to respect you and your opinion. If we were all the same we would collectively have much less value. Critical thinking is a skill you have to develop and use to master. Too many people hesitate out of fear. Don't ever be afraid to be different. Your opinion is exactly as valid as mine. Others may challenge you intellectually/factually and that's good. But I do hope you don't feel challenged or attacked on a personal level.

I was just like you when I was in my nice safe office with a lot of money coming in. And most of the people I knew felt the same way and their life experience was similar. Hard work paid off and life was good. Then, for me, everything changed. Life is still good but I have now seen the other side. I hope, even if things change again and my life is safe, I never forget this adventure. I was forced out of my comfort zone and thrown into the mosh pit of life. I really didn't know I had previously led somewhat of a charmed existence. I never really understood there was a whole society of people out there who worked harder than me and had much less to show for it.

Debating with Diana is like jumping into a nest of pit vipers. That's good. She challenges me. That doesn't mean I don't love and respect her. And she knows that because we have a long history. You're new and you have done nothing wrong! We try to be adults here. We make mistakes and get up again but that's just part of being human. Keep on expressing yourself and being honest. You will get on here just fine. We need thinking people, not sheeple!

A nest of pit vipers?? But, but, but - I'm so NICE, really! Too nice! I just am passionate about certain things, and am privy to discussions all over the place with people much smarter than me - especially about political issues - who have convinced me of the correctness of my point of view. And fighting with insurance companies has convinced me that they are evil, puerile, worthless bloodsucking stains on society, and the worst possible way to deliver health care - and THEY are behind the bastardized, watered-down, worse-than-it-was-before effect on people who HAD employer paid/subsidized health insurance before. The insurance companies and their paid congressional TOADIES delivered us an ACA that they hoped would be DOA - but I think that what is going to happen is that people are going to "get it" and start demanding it be improved, that the fetters be removed, and that we get a decent health care system that is a better version of Medicare for all (and then the reimbursements will even out, and more doctors will be willing to be part of being able to deliver more health care with fewer administrative burdens). It could happen, and I think that it will.

I see the situation as being somewhat akin to what is going on in patent law right now. The Supreme Court (SCOTUS) has over the last few years BUTCHERED some cases, CHANGING long-established principles of the law for the worse. Interestingly, some of the reasons behind it are a strange concatenation of lobbying from the computer giants, who want to undermine patent law (it doesn't really suit their short term interests anyway, but can be exploited by small inventors with good ideas who then sell their inventions to well-funded invention companies who then sue the big computer companies for infringement - the so-called "patent troll" problem), but the same principles involved - patentability of methods of doing business, "abstract ideas" (which SCOTUS cannot define but doesn't like the smell of) and "natural laws" - has caught up biotech companies in the latter (by design, and exploited by biotech wanna-be infringers. The latter have managed to get SCOTUS to extend their anti-patent stance to find as not even patent eligible, inventions that have LONG been considered patentable, like isolated genes, proteins and other products, and diagnostic methods (because they only measure "naturally-occurring correlations, e.g., something in the blood and that the patient has a disease.

So SCOTUS made rules about particular cases - but in fact, the Patent Office thinks SCOTUS got it wrong. But they are an administrative agency - so they can't change the law. So, to express their unhappiness with it (this is MY interpretation), the Patent Office read the stupid SCOTUS cases and extended the exclusions from patent eligibility as FAR as they could, reading the cases in the way that was WORST for the inventors. Why? So they would scream to Congress to fix the law to overrule SCOTUS. Because that's the only way to fix it.

And I think the same thing is going to happen with the ACA.

Diana, I SO hope you are right.

I know there is no going back - walked past a car at work today with "repeal Obamacare" on the bumper sticker. uh, no. they have been trying and trying and trying and they can't. so it will HAVE to be fixed.

I just don't think it will be easy or even soon. more rough road ahead, just as I'm getting old. :cautious:

A nest of pit vipers?? But, but, but - I'm so NICE, really! Too nice! I just am passionate about certain things, and am privy to discussions all over the place with people much smarter than me - especially about political issues - who have convinced me of the correctness of my point of view. And fighting with insurance companies has convinced me that they are evil, puerile, worthless bloodsucking stains on society, and the worst possible way to deliver health care - and THEY are behind the bastardized, watered-down, worse-than-it-was-before effect on people who HAD employer paid/subsidized health insurance before. The insurance companies and their paid congressional TOADIES delivered us an ACA that they hoped would be DOA - but I think that what is going to happen is that people are going to "get it" and start demanding it be improved, that the fetters be removed, and that we get a decent health care system that is a better version of Medicare for all (and then the reimbursements will even out, and more doctors will be willing to be part of being able to deliver more health care with fewer administrative burdens). It could happen, and I think that it will.

I see the situation as being somewhat akin to what is going on in patent law right now. The Supreme Court (SCOTUS) has over the last few years BUTCHERED some cases, CHANGING long-established principles of the law for the worse. Interestingly, some of the reasons behind it are a strange concatenation of lobbying from the computer giants, who want to undermine patent law (it doesn't really suit their short term interests anyway, but can be exploited by small inventors with good ideas who then sell their inventions to well-funded invention companies who then sue the big computer companies for infringement - the so-called "patent troll" problem), but the same principles involved - patentability of methods of doing business, "abstract ideas" (which SCOTUS cannot define but doesn't like the smell of) and "natural laws" - has caught up biotech companies in the latter (by design, and exploited by biotech wanna-be infringers. The latter have managed to get SCOTUS to extend their anti-patent stance to find as not even patent eligible, inventions that have LONG been considered patentable, like isolated genes, proteins and other products, and diagnostic methods (because they only measure "naturally-occurring correlations, e.g., something in the blood and that the patient has a disease.

So SCOTUS made rules about particular cases - but in fact, the Patent Office thinks SCOTUS got it wrong. But they are an administrative agency - so they can't change the law. So, to express their unhappiness with it (this is MY interpretation), the Patent Office read the stupid SCOTUS cases and extended the exclusions from patent eligibility as FAR as they could, reading the cases in the way that was WORST for the inventors. Why? So they would scream to Congress to fix the law to overrule SCOTUS. Because that's the only way to fix it.

And I think the same thing is going to happen with the ACA.
Stop pussyrfooting around and tell us how you really feel!

Well, none of y'all are going to bother me because I just figured out how to work our pool heater and the spa has just gone from 51° to 68° and is still rising. Nothing says Christmas Eve like wrinkled up senior citizens going skinny dipping!!
SB, I have a very vivid image of this and with your stock photo, that is just the cherry on the top

The current plan needs to be "fixed", everyone should have medically necessary health insurance, who and how to pay for it, will always be a debate, unless the govt takes over.

And a review of tbe entire " healthcare as a capitalist venture" model needs to roll over and die.

Spiky, why wasn't I invited for the nekkid spa gathering? I may not be wrinkled now but I would be after the spa session.

Spiky, why wasn't I invited for the nekkid spa gathering? I may not be wrinkled now but I would be after the spa session.

You'd be wrinkled and, as my Bozo nephew likes to mention, it's cold enough that you'd have hard nipples, too! We couldn't risk that, could we?

Latest posts

Back