DS Complication

I recently had conversion surgery from Rny to DS with Dr. K on Jan. 11, 2019. Things seem to be progressing well and despite initial delays and being in the hospital longer than initially planned, things are on the upswing now. The only issue I seem to be continuously suffering from now, is that it feels that food gets “backed-up” in my stomach and has an unbelievably difficult time transitioning to the intestines. I did get a barium X-ray as directed by Dr. K, and also had him do another upper endoscopy, only for him to report that everything is wide open and without any strictures or problems. Yet I remain in this awful situation, where basically anything I try to eat (liquid/thick liquid/soft foods/regular foods) anything seems to give me trouble passing from stomach to intestines. Along with that, milk is out of the question. So I’ve tried lactose free milk, and it’s better (not creating massive amounts of mucous), but not great. It’s soooo strange, some things I would assume to be an absolute NO-NO end up working, both in general and better, than things I would think, that would work. (I can tolerate nuts sometimes, but can not have more simple things like eggs or yogurt or even broth is difficult) According to Dr. K, it will take time. Sometimes, some people’s “rny-stomach portion” takes a LONG while to “WAKE UP” and is slow in remembering what to do, and until that happens, it’s a day by day thing and trial and error process with my eating which then will elongate the time I have to have the feeding tube. I was looking for advise if any of this sounds like any scenarios anyone has experience with or has heard of in the past. Any input is highly appreciated!!

You are only one month out I would not think you could eat much at all. I had RNY to DS and at one month out I was barely eating. I can recall drinking protein shakes, eating yogurt, some thinly sliced deli meat, and tuna mixed with mayo. I was filled up very, very quickly and stayed full. At one month the goal is 64ounces plus of water and 30 grams of protein. At 60 days post op the goal is 60 grams of protein and at 90 days post op the goal is 90 grams of protein. I got most of my protein from shakes until about 9 months out.

What are you eating? Is it possible you are eating too much? If I eat too much I will stay full for a very, very long time.

Thanks for the response. I considered that maybe I was eating too much, however, considering that I cannot keep really anything down, including even liquids, I’m not sure how I could be eating to much. I know I’m not even getting 64oz of water like I should be. I try and I throw up, even if I only take sips at a slow steady pace throughout the day. I am trying to patient. I know maybe going so slow is a foreign concept to me, especially since my life hardly moves slow. I will continue to try my hardest to be patient and take each day by day. Thank you.

I agree with the others above that it is still early days for most foods and that hydration is priority one. Some people find that temperature matters. For some, broth or hot tea go down more readily than cold drinks, for others popsicles are great, and still others lukewarm tap water is best.... Try them all!

Also, salt is an anti-emetic. Try savory chicken Unjury. Or simply placing chicken bouillion crystals on the back of your tongue when nauseated.

We all have a tendency to not chew foods enough, but scrambled eggs are still a no-go for me at 9 years out. If my daughter makes them, I can eat them. She uses HWC, butter, and leaves them slightly softer, the "french" way.

Give it time, and dont rush the tube removal.

Also, slow your life down. You only get one chance to do this.

With me, Dr. K. was so unrealistic about what he thought I could/should be eating. He was recommending steak, potato, going out to eat at a restaurant, etc., but told me to avoid pizza for a while. I could barely get down enough water and protein shakes early out!

Did he tell you that you could also put water down your feeding tube if you were having trouble drinking fluids? I had complications and had to do that sometimes very early out.

I found this thread on hydration that also might help you https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/hydration-as-a-new-post-op.56/

With me, Dr. K. was so unrealistic about what he thought I could/should be eating. He was recommending steak, potato, going out to eat at a restaurant, etc., but told me to avoid pizza for a while. I could barely get down enough water and protein shakes early out!

Did he tell you that you could also put water down your feeding tube if you were having trouble drinking fluids? I had complications and had to do that sometimes very early out.

I found this thread on hydration that also might help you https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/hydration-as-a-new-post-op.56/
Wait.... feeding tube!? Did I miss something?

ADillon81 what you may have missed is that the OP had a RNY to DS revision, which is far more complex than the VSG to DS revision you are seeking. Her entire gastric bypass had to be taken apart, the normal anatomy restored, and then converted to the DS. In your case, you already have the sleeve part of the DS, you just need the intestinal part done - much less surgery, much less risks, and very unlikely to need a feeding tube.

ADillon81 what you may have missed is that the OP had a RNY to DS revision, which is far more complex than the VSG to DS revision you are seeking. Her entire gastric bypass had to be taken apart, the normal anatomy restored, and then converted to the DS. In your case, you already have the sleeve part of the DS, you just need the intestinal part done - much less surgery, much less risks, and very unlikely to need a feeding tube.

OH! That's a relief! The less complications, the better. for clearing that up!

I am a year out from RNY to DS revision at one month out I was barley able to eat a few bites of cottage cheese, water felt like bricks in my stomach. I did not have the feeding tube but even today at times where the old RNY tummy was put back together still feels tight and at times I can feel the restiction of food passisng through it. My dr said that might be a issue but should get better I have to say it has. Hang in there and listen to your body and your Dr. it will get better I felt like total crap for about 7-8 weeks.

It just takes time. I was distal rny to ds. I took forever for my gut to wake up. I had a j tube FOREVER. MY STOMACH WAS SO PISSED I COULDN'T TAKE IN EVEN LIQUIDS. Dr. K prescribed some meds to wake my gut up. But basically I just had to wait until my intestines decided THEY WERE READY FOR ME TO EAT. AN OZ OF SOUP AT A TIME is the nest I could do and pray that it didn't come back out violently. Hopefully by now things are moving along pretty good for you.

Thanks everyone. It truly feels that once my j-tube came out, nearly all the discomfort and complications or problems seemed to vanish. All except the being able to drink milk problem. But that too has since been combated! I tried dozens of different milks or milk like replacements, but didn’t find success until I tried A2 milk. It’s a milk that is only from cows that produce milk with the A2 protein. That lack of the “unnecessary” A1 protein has made all the difference in giving me back the opportunity to enjoy milk once again. However, I do only drink small amounts at a time. But it tastes just like regular milk does and it is regular milk from cows. A downside, it’s anywhere from $4.99-$6.99 for a 1/2 gallon carton, and can be a bit difficult to find. If you have a Woodmans grocery store near you or most natural food stores (Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s) they tend to carry it. And considering how long a 1/2 gallon can last I’m not totally crying over the price. But again, thank you for everyone’s help and input on everything so far. I’m sure I’ll be looking for tons of more answers to more questions as they come up.

Latest posts

Back