Dry Eyes and Omega 3

For what it’s worth dry eyes are also very common in hormonally changing ladies as we age. Xiidra drops twice a day has helped me but leaves a funny taste in the mouth the first few weeks of use.

Dry eye is painful! Sorry about that. Restasis worked for me - I have severe dry eye and epithelial dystrophy. (Opening my eyes in the morning used to be accompanied by searing pain as my corneas were adhered to the insides of my eyelids.) I won't kid ya, Restasis is very expensive however, per my eye doc, if you get the individual droppers you can reattach the snap off top and get two days out of one dropper. I then "skid stock" them in the second half of the year once I've reached my deductible and have a supply that lasts me at the beginning of the next year until I once again hit my deductible. Oh, after several years I found I could drop down to one dose a day instead of two also reducing the net cost. (But doc still prescribes as if I take twice a day so I can "skid stock") Fish oil (even before DS) did nothing nor did plugging tear ducts. Good luck.

I use Refresh Relievia a couple of times throughout the day to moisturize. I also use Lumify once, usually before my most important meeting as it pulls out the redness well, but only temporarily.

I will definitely have to try Restasis. I have had the same thing - waking up with my corneas stuck to my lids!! Then, oh, the pain!!
Thank you so much for your advice!

Dry eye is painful! Sorry about that. Restasis worked for me - I have severe dry eye and epithelial dystrophy. (Opening my eyes in the morning used to be accompanied by searing pain as my corneas were adhered to the insides of my eyelids.) I won't kid ya, Restasis is very expensive however, per my eye doc, if you get the individual droppers you can reattach the snap off top and get two days out of one dropper. I then "skid stock" them in the second half of the year once I've reached my deductible and have a supply that lasts me at the beginning of the next year until I once again hit my deductible. Oh, after several years I found I could drop down to one dose a day instead of two also reducing the net cost. (But doc still prescribes as if I take twice a day so I can "skid stock") Fish oil (even before DS) did nothing nor did plugging tear ducts. Good luck.

I use Refresh Relievia a couple of times throughout the day to moisturize. I also use Lumify once, usually before my most important meeting as it pulls out the redness well, but only temporarily.
I use drops probably every 30 mins, the gel drops and/or the ones with Omega-3 oil added. Drops only bring relief for a short time - and my vision is so blurry that I can't see to do my work. I'm thinking I might try Restasis, as Clematis suggested. Thanks for you advice though!

Further info, should it apply to you: My worst issue was map-dot-fingerprint epithelial dystrophy. (When doc puts in a staining eye drop the cornea looks like a fingerprint from the loose cells.) The bulk of that was cured a dozen years ago when an ophthalmologist with a subspecialty in corneas at a major hospital scraped off the loose layer of corneal cells. (Yeah, it's as freaky as it sounds to have your eyelids taped open and a scalpel come down.) After that procedure, my corneas have never again stuck to my eyelids in the morning on waking. Restasis has then taken care of the dry eye ever since.

Ugh...that sounds terrifying. I'll bring it up at my next appt. with the ophtalmologist...just to be sure.

Latest posts

Back