Dr. Juan Arellano mexicali?

For pete's sake, Lydia. We've all told you Arellano and the wretched Michele Walsh are to be avoided. Protect yourself and walk away.

But nobody is giving me actual reasons or hard facts. Everyone has offered their reason that she is a manipulator etc... But what's wrong with Dr. Arellano? I don't see any death, bad reviews, etc.. and he is board certifies in bariatric surgery. What's the problem that I'm not seeing with him not including her.

I was looking into this surgeon also?? And Michele has been in touch with me..wondering what the facts are and why I need to avoid?? Please fill me in

We have directed you to a competent, caring, ETHICAL, qualified surgeon in Mexico, who for a multiplicity of reasons documented on this website (and others, if you'd take the trouble to research yourself) is the ONLY Mexican surgeon we endorse.

You have been warned you away from a surgeon who works with an unethical coordinator who has a 10+ year history of duplicitous behavior across multiple message boards (including HIPAA violations, and claiming to have an affair with a surgeon whose business she was promoting, who has dropped off the bariatric scene after going bankrupt after being successfully sued for multiple cases of malpractice, at least one of which killed someone). She uses multiple names, argues with herself using different identities to suck people in, LIES, and basically is scum. Arellano works with her, despite knowing her history - because she's good at trolling obesity websites and cultivating clients for him.

We don't get kickbacks from recommending Esquerra's practice - we do know a number of people who have used him, as well as knowing the history of the practice when it was Ungson's practice, going back over 10 years, and that Ungson trained Esquerra to take over. We know they are clean, safe, ethical, competent and trustworthy.

WHY do you insist on making us prove it to you? I personally don't follow what happens to people who go to him - if his practice allows unethical behavior, I'm not interested. Besides, do you think he can't erase online evidence of his mistakes?

Our advice is free, and you are free to take it or leave it. If he's cheaper, let me just say that you get what you pay for. "Cheap" and "Mexican surgery" are not words I would want to use with reference to anyone I love. I assume both of you are predisposed to using Arellano because of price and/or Michelle's seduction. Think about that.

In any case, you just go do what you're going to do, and good luck with that. But please have a backup person who has access to post here to report back to us what happened in case you can't. Maybe someone will decide to track his actual performance - but not me. I will continue to recommend Esquerra if someone can't get surgery in the US.

why do I feel as though I am being scolded as a child? is this sight not called bariatic facts? this is simple. I am looking for cold hard information to backup the allegations or recommendation I have found in searching this entire sight. All I have asked is why do you only recommend Dr. Esquerra or why should I be running away from michelle welsh, other than your biased opinion? what information are you basing this all on so I can make my own informed decision. other wise I am just going off the advice of strangers and isn't that exactly what you are not telling me not to do with michelle. she has been very accommodating in answering any and every question I have. I have done my own research and have had difficulty finding any of the information you have mentioned. now this forum has really made me second guess choosing dr. arellano however I am not trying to make a quick and rash decision based on anyone's opinion. you are telling me to run away from Michelle Welsh, she is telling me different things also, so who am I to believe? That's why I insist on you proving it to me. am I supposed to blindly just follow what you say because you have a lot of information that may or may not be true. all I'm asking is for some empirical evidence. also both surgeons are the same price, it really has nothing to do with money. if I were so careless in my searching why would I be asking anything and instead just go to Tijuana for $3,000? Mainly I would like to know why is Dr. esquerra so ethical as you say and is he a certified bariatrics surgeon and if so where can I find that information. also how would I find the HIPAA violations, and the paper trail of 10 + year history of duplicitous behavior. how do you know Dr. Ungsong trained Dr. Esquerra? is it published somewhere in a medical journal or is there a way the doctors are held accountable. I have never had surgery in mexico before and am not predisposed to any surgeon but simply looking for facts. you have provided me with opinions and stories that you are refusing to back up and that makes me question your validity also. so am I supposed to be following your advice blindly because you said it or am I supposed to be questioning and researching? isnt this a sight to aid in researching bariatric surgery options for people who need the facts? or am I in the wrong place?

This is the first time I have been on this site. I have been doing nothing but research, and finding myself going crazy. I am politely asking for information because I saw a couple posts..no files that I know of. I'm not sure why you are talking to me like I'm a complete nuisance. I'm not even sure about Mexico for surgery..after all the b.s I've read, I've only decided on getting my daughter surgery this past month, and all these posts and sites are so contradictive. I am trying to research as much as possible..an that includes asking as many questions as possible..because real information is hard to find. I didn't realize I was walking into a hostile conversation.. I am just inquiring about one of the only people who SEEMED. Credible. I don't know all the answers, don't claim to..I am just trying to find as much info as possible, and I'm appreciative of any I find.

@Lydia I have been hesitant to enter this conversation because of all the confusion. I can't give you medical journal articles about these surgeons. If they were in the USA I would advise you to check with their state medical boards for any sanctions, but I don't know how you would go about that for Mexican doctors. I can't speak from personal experience because my surgery was done in the USA.
What I CAN tell you is that I've been on this and other websites devoted to bariatric surgery and particularly the DS for over 11 years (my surgery was 11 years ago). During that time I've seen many people, some of whom I've met, who I'll followed both pre and post-op, who I know to be legitimate, go to first Dr. Ungson and now Dr. Esquerra for the DS. Every one has reported back about the high quality of the surgeons and the hospital and their overall experience.
When Dr. Ungson left, of course there was concern about Dr. Esquerra. We (meaning pre-ops who were worried) were assured by his staff that he had trained with Dr. Ungson and been Dr. Ungson's assistant on many DS's. And the experience of those who have gone to him as borne this out - again, all positive.
Sadly, those of us who have been around for a long time are also familiar with Michelle aka Daphne aka some other names. Unlike Nina, in Dr. Esquerra's office who is (I presume) paid a salary, Michelle gets some kind of payment when she "coordinates" you to whatever doc she is working with at the time. Whether that doc is in your best interest is irrelevant.
I understand how frustrating it is to be unable to get every assurance you want, and to be leaping into what seems like the unknown. And no matter who your surgeon is, it's major surgery and some patients have complications. But the track record we've seen with Dr. Esquerra has been excellent. If you just have to have more assurance than that, I can't help you, and maybe no one can. But that's better than false and/or financially motivated assurances.

why do I feel as though I am being scolded as a child? is this sight not called bariatic facts? this is simple. I am looking for cold hard information to backup the allegations or recommendation I have found in searching this entire sight. All I have asked is why do you only recommend Dr. Esquerra or why should I be running away from michelle welsh, other than your biased opinion? what information are you basing this all on so I can make my own informed decision. other wise I am just going off the advice of strangers and isn't that exactly what you are not telling me not to do with michelle. she has been very accommodating in answering any and every question I have. I have done my own research and have had difficulty finding any of the information you have mentioned. now this forum has really made me second guess choosing dr. arellano however I am not trying to make a quick and rash decision based on anyone's opinion. you are telling me to run away from Michelle Welsh, she is telling me different things also, so who am I to believe? That's why I insist on you proving it to me. am I supposed to blindly just follow what you say because you have a lot of information that may or may not be true. all I'm asking is for some empirical evidence. also both surgeons are the same price, it really has nothing to do with money. if I were so careless in my searching why would I be asking anything and instead just go to Tijuana for $3,000? Mainly I would like to know why is Dr. esquerra so ethical as you say and is he a certified bariatrics surgeon and if so where can I find that information. also how would I find the HIPAA violations, and the paper trail of 10 + year history of duplicitous behavior. how do you know Dr. Ungsong trained Dr. Esquerra? is it published somewhere in a medical journal or is there a way the doctors are held accountable. I have never had surgery in mexico before and am not predisposed to any surgeon but simply looking for facts. you have provided me with opinions and stories that you are refusing to back up and that makes me question your validity also. so am I supposed to be following your advice blindly because you said it or am I supposed to be questioning and researching? isnt this a sight to aid in researching bariatric surgery options for people who need the facts? or am I in the wrong place?

@Lydia

Hey, let me step in here and try to help. Lydia, many, many people go to Dr Esquerra and they have all been very, very happy. I don't know anyone who has gone to Dr. Arelano and we have not had people on this board go to that Dr. I think people are a bit frustated because we have said the Dr we trust in Mexico is Dr. Esquerra.

To be honest, I went to Dr. Esquerra and I had a good experine. I did talk to Dr Kelly and his coordiantor. They did a great job selling me and had great reviews online and then I heard he almost killed someone and i had to dig deep to find it.

That is when I decided to trust the people on this board and figured people here knew more than me and had no financial incentive. I was so scared and confused and I had no idea who to trust.

I don't know much about Arellano and Michele Walsh. Here is what I do know, this is not a surgery to screw around with and I really was never going to get to the bottom of this by myself. I needed the help of people who followed what Doctors to go to.

I do get concerned when I hear people even talking about the coordinator. Who cares about the coordinator, that person is NOT the one with the knife that will put you under and cut your body apart. You might as well call that person the sales and account management person, so take the account and what that person's motivation is

I would ask you who you want to trust. The person who is trying to sell you a Dr in Mexico or a bunch of people who just care about this issue and helping people.

@DianaCox is a bit, well, agressive (and I love her for it), but she is very wise and knows the WLS space inside and out. You can choose to take her advice or not. You can choose to take the advice of all of us who went to Dr Esquerra or not - there are lots of us here.

This is the first time I have been on this site. I have been doing nothing but research, and finding myself going crazy. I am politely asking for information because I saw a couple posts..no files that I know of. I'm not sure why you are talking to me like I'm a complete nuisance. I'm not even sure about Mexico for surgery..after all the b.s I've read, I've only decided on getting my daughter surgery this past month, and all these posts and sites are so contradictive. I am trying to research as much as possible..an that includes asking as many questions as possible..because real information is hard to find. I didn't realize I was walking into a hostile conversation.. I am just inquiring about one of the only people who SEEMED. Credible. I don't know all the answers, don't claim to..I am just trying to find as much info as possible, and I'm appreciative of any I find.
@Dbrooks

I don't think you are walking into a hostile conversation at all. I think this is a very nice board of people who love their DS and we want to help and answer questions. In terms of Mexico, the people on this board send people to Dr. Esquerra because people have had very good experinces and as you said, this is confusing and overwhelming. I don't think anyone here would say we have all the answers or know all the Drs in Mexico, but we can help guide, so you should ask questions. I think we do know most of the Drs in the US though.

What are your questions, how can we help, we want to. We have Drs. Nurses, and other medical pros on this board as well as lawyers and then just passonate and supportive people.

I have found this people on this board to be so helpful in my journey. They helped me sort through the noise about WLS and choose the right doctor and and helped my adjust to my new body - which is a lot more work than I though.

So, just let us know how we can help.

Cheers all

Last edited:
I'm the bad cop. Says so right on my avatar. I rile things up, get you angry and THINKING, and the good cops come in with calm and reasonableness to explain, when you're more receptive to hearing it.

Although, to be honest, you two both coming on here at the same time asking about Arellano is a little suspect - nobody has asked about him in 2-3 YEARS, and now two of you in one day. Hmmm. Daphne/Michelle - is that you?

Here's a thread from three years ago. http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/dr-john-husted.1051/page-3#post-20959 - this is a long-term issue.

I'm the bad cop. Says so right on my avatar. I rile things up, get you angry and THINKING, and the good cops come in with calm and reasonableness to explain, when you're more receptive to hearing it.

Although, to be honest, you two both coming on here at the same time asking about Arellano is a little suspect - nobody has asked about him in 2-3 YEARS, and now two of you in one day. Hmmm. Daphne/Michelle - is that you?ive been thinking the same thing!

Here's a thread from three years ago. http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/dr-john-husted.1051/page-3#post-20959 - this is a long-term issue.

Although, to be honest, you two both coming on here at the same time asking about Arellano is a little suspect - nobody has asked about him in 2-3 YEARS, and now two of you in one day. Hmmm. Daphne/Michelle - is that you?

Lol..no..my name is Dee Dee Brooks. The reason we both came on is that Lydia found a post on FB with me asking questions and conversation/ between myself and Michele. We had been pm' ing each other because I had found nothing thus far, negative about Michele..and so she sent me the link to this conversation..so I jumped in. I had believed arellano to finally be someone who was reputable, and then was blown away by this feed. What price range is Dr esquerra for the sleeve and why ( my daughter is only 18) does everyone here say not to get it?

@Lydia

Hey, let me step in here and try to help. Lydia, many, many people go to Dr Esquerra and they have all been very, very happy. I don't know anyone who has gone to Dr. Arelano and we have not had people on this board go to that Dr. I think people are a bit frustated because we have said the Dr we trust in Mexico is Dr. Esquerra.

To be honest, I went to Dr. Esquerra and I had a good experine. I did talk to Dr Kelly and his coordiantor. They did a great job selling me and had great reviews online and then I heard he almost killed someone and i had to dig deep to find it.

That is when I decided to trust the people on this board and figured people here knew more than me and had no financial incentive. I was so scared and confused and I had no idea who to trust.

I don't know much about Arellano and Michele Walsh. Here is what I do know, this is not a surgery to screw around with and I really was never going to get to the bottom of this by myself. I needed the help of people who followed what Doctors to go to.

I do get concerned when I hear people even talking about the coordinator. Who cares about the coordinator, that person is NOT the one with the knife that will put you under and cut your body apart. You might as well call that person the sales and account management person, so take the account and what that person's motivation is

I would ask you who you want to trust. The person who is trying to sell you a Dr in Mexico or a bunch of people who just care about this issue and helping people.

@DianaCox is a bit, well, agressive (and I love her for it), but she is very wise and knows the WLS space inside and out. You can choose to take her advice or not. You can choose to take the advice of all of us who went to Dr Esquerra or not - there are lots of us here.

@Dbrooks

I don't think you are walking into a hostile conversation at all. I think this is a very nice board of people who love their DS and we want to help and answer questions. In terms of Mexico, the people on this board send people to Dr. Esquerra because people have had very good experinces and as you said, this is confusing and overwhelming. I don't think anyone here would say we have all the answers or know all the Drs in Mexico, but we can help guide, so you should ask questions. I think we do know most of the Drs in the US though.

What are your questions, how can we help, we want to. We have Drs. Nurses, and other medical pros on this board as well as lawyers and then just passonate and supportive people.

I have found this people on this board to be so helpful in my journey. They helped me sort through the noise about WLS and choose the right doctor and and helped my adjust to my new body - which is a lot more work than I though.

So, just let us know how we can help.

Cheers all

Thanks so much. I am trying so hard to figure out where I'm going and what I'm doing..the surgical weight control center in Las Vegas ..with Dr Atkins I believe and Dr soong, are who I have been referred to under my insurance. The cost will be $7800 up front, but I was told through a friend that went to Mexico that I could get just as good of care for much less. Well there started this crazy ride, and I'm not sure which direction to go in. If Dr esquerra will cost me just as much, I will probably stay here in the states..as we are looking at the sleeve. But now I keep reading how dumb the sleeve is? So confused..all I've read shows the sleeve to be the best option.

The reason we prefer the DS to the VSG alone is that the sleeve is just another diet with a smaller stomach -- and that small stomach eventually stretches out. The data shows the DS has far superior initial weight loss, RETAINED weight loss and resolution of comorbidities.

However one must do their homework and be prepared to take vitamin supplements and have extensive lab work twice a year for the rest of their lives. This is a big commitment for an 18 yr old to make. Someone with more knowledge than I regarding a DS on a teenager will chime in.

Esquerra is about $11k for a virgin DS. A VSG would be less but I do not know price. Their prices may be posted not their website -- if not just call/email Nina.

Thanks so much. I am trying so hard to figure out where I'm going and what I'm doing..the surgical weight control center in Las Vegas ..with Dr Atkins I believe and Dr soong, are who I have been referred to under my insurance. The cost will be $7800 up front, but I was told through a friend that went to Mexico that I could get just as good of care for much less. Well there started this crazy ride, and I'm not sure which direction to go in. If Dr esquerra will cost me just as much, I will probably stay here in the states..as we are looking at the sleeve. But now I keep reading how dumb the sleeve is? So confused..all I've read shows the sleeve to be the best option.

Lol..no..my name is Dee Dee Brooks. The reason we both came on is that Lydia found a post on FB with me asking questions and conversation/ between myself and Michele. We had been pm' ing each other because I had found nothing thus far, negative about Michele..and so she sent me the link to this conversation..so I jumped in. I had believed arellano to finally be someone who was reputable, and then was blown away by this feed. What price range is Dr esquerra for the sleeve and why ( my daughter is only 18) does everyone here say not to get it?

So here is the thing about the sleeve, it works for some people and not others. And does not work well long term. Here are the stats Look at this page. You wanty data, here is the data. http://www.paclap.com/downloads/comparing-options-for-WLS.pdf I was at Dr. Rabkin's group the other day and there were two people who had the sleeve and it did not work and they were getting the DS part of the operation.

My point of view on this is I wanted to be "one and done" with surgery. I'm so glad I did. Dr. Esqueera was 11K when I did it, i heard it dropped to 10K for a while, but might be back up.

Dee-Dee as for your daughter, you should talk to @hilary1617 who just had her son (who is about the same age of your daughter) get the DS. Personally, I would say have your daugther get the DS. Have it work and have her move on with her life and never deal with weight loss headache again. With the sleeve her chances of regain are so much higher.

Dee-Dee and Lydia, you are suppose to be scared, confused and overwhelmed with this choice. It's OK and very nomral. Just make sure the people you end up trusting have your best interests at heart. That is really why I choose Dr. Esqueera, I figured out the people on this board knew what they were tlaking about and their only agenda was to help me. Everyone else had an agenda.

Keep asking questions. We want to help. Just know people here feel they have answered the question of which doctor. As for which surgery, the data I posted a link to says it all to me.

Latest posts

Back