Dr. John Husted

My guess is ego - he drank the Kool-aide of his wonderfulness, based on his grateful early patients, getting on cable TV, and having a string of disturbed lovesick nurses and patients throw themselves at him, and vice versa (including the Notorious YouKnowWho in MX). I think he needed to keep topping his latest successes by being a surgical innovator and inventing a surgery - the first one, the VERGITO (cutting out and turning a piece of the ileum backwards, and removing omentum, plus some kind of gastrectomy), and then some procedure he named after himself (!) which I can't remember (Husted Ileal something or other).

But his constantly changing practices suggests strongly that he didn't play well with others.

Here are the complaints filed in the lawsuits - I've downloaded a few more documents (denying motions for summary judgment by Husted in a couple of cases; awarding it in another; in all cases, Husted is trying to get the cases dismissed because he's gotten the judgment dismissed in the bankruptcy he's already filed:

Attachments

• 1-husted complaint (2).pdf
    53.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Complaint - file stamped.pdf
    367.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Complaint 102511.pdf
    693 KB · Views: 15
  • Complaint 102811.pdf
    689.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Complaint.pdf
    282.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I tend to agree with Diana. One wants a surgeon with enough ego to be confident in his/he skills. Husted's went way beyond that. As for his ex-wife shedding light, I'd rather hear from any of the nurses who had affairs with him. Rumor has it that a few nurses in Nashville lost their jobs because of those affairs.

Judgments should NOT be allowed in bankruptcy filings. So he's going to get away with what he did, with no consequences? Why even file lawsuits against him, if he can just dance sideways and get out from under the judgment? Something smells fishy.

I have not been on line much lately and i see this was already discussed so nevermind.

MsVee

I love the fact that the jury was wise enough to split the judgement 60/40 between the hospital and Dr. doofus. At least the poor family will be partially compensated for the loss of their loved one. She was only a kid too....39! :-(

I am still trying to get a copy of my records from my DS with Husted at Lake Cumberland in August 2009. My primary care doctor has made numerous requests, as have the VA, and nothing.

Take your case to LifePoint corporate headquarters. Specifically ask for the compliance officer. You are entitled to a copy of your records.

LifePoint Hospitals
330 Seven Springs Way
Brentwood, TN 37027

or 615 920 7000

You can Google search for more information about LifePoint.

I have taken the liberty of sending a message to the law firm that was handling several of the suits against Husted and Cumberland to see if they could assist you. Waiting to hear back from them.

I have taken the liberty of sending a message to the law firm that was handling several of the suits against Husted and Cumberland to see if they could assist you. Waiting to hear back from them.
Libertarian? Libertine?

Cutting and pasting relevant information from the response from the law firm:
  • We still have 3 cases pending here. I believe all the others have settled or been tried. We have appealed the $10.6M verdict on the issues of agency and negligent credentialing to get the hospital on the hook for the amount assigned to Husted by the jury (40%).
  • Unfortunately, the only way to get Dr. Husted’s file is to directly write to him. It’s my understanding that, since the verdict came down, he is no longer with Crown Medical in California. I don’t know where he might be at this point, but if you find him, please let me know.
  • She should be able to get her records from Lake Cumberland Regional Medical Center and Commonwealth Bariatric Center, though, and those will have the majority of what is in Husted’s chart. Note that in Kentucky, a patient is entitled to a free copy of his/her medical chart (statute attached).
  • 422.317 Copy of patient's medical record to be supplied on patient's written
    request -- Exception for Department of Corrections.
    (1) Upon a patient's written request, a hospital licensed under KRS Chapter 216B
    or a health care provider shall provide, without charge to the patient, a copy of
    the patient's medical record. A copying fee, not to exceed one dollar ($1) per
    page, may be charged by the health care provider for furnishing a second copy
    of the patient's medical record upon request either by the patient or the
    patient's attorney or the patient's authorized representative.
    (2) The Department of Corrections shall not be considered as a health care
    provider under this section; however, the department may make medical
    records of an individual inmate available to that individual inmate unless the
    department, through its designee, determines that the provision of the record is
    subject to the provisions of KRS 197.025.
    Effective:July 15, 1996
    History: Amended 1996 Ky. Acts ch.b334, sec.b6, effective July 15, 1996. --
    Created 1994 Ky. Acts ch.b512, Part 16, sec.b117, effective July 15, 1994.
  • (I assume this is public information):
    There was a case (Waddle v Husted, et al.) that was tried to verdict against Husted only in 2013. The verdict was for just over $400K and 50% fault was apportioned to the plaintiff (it came out in discovery that she and her husband were smoking/manufacturing meth. They are both in prison now.) Our office did not handle that case.
  • Lastly, take note of the fact that LCRH was recently identified as one of the worst hospitals in the country by Consumer Reports.
  • Let me know if there’s anything else I can help out with. And – while the SOL has passed for most of his patients, the VERGITO patients may be able to get past this problem because it was an experimental procedure not authorized in the US. There are other issues with this surgery, but unfortunately I can’t divulge that information yet.
I hope this helps - and if you are a VERGITO patient, PM me and I'll give you the law firm's contact information.

Last edited:
Last I knew, he had left Crown and was in Riverside CA. I have no idea whether or not he can still be found there.

Latest posts

Back