Dr. Gilberto Ungson and Dr.Esquerra Mexicali MX

Esquerra took out my GB at the same time as DS but this was not what MBC usually did or does with a DS. (Most US surgeons will not remove a healthy organ.) I did my research and decided I wanted it out as I did not want to be a year post-op, have a tummy tuck and THEN be sliced up for GB removal. They were surprised that I requested this. I sorta had to beg him (and pay $2k extra). He asked, "Have you had trouble with your GB in the past?" And I sorta lied saying yes, however I really believe I had had an issue with my pancreas. Never the less, it's gone now.

Of course a surgeon deserves to be paid for her/his time and expertise for GB removal, as does the rest of the staff and the facility!! (It would be like me saying to the guy repairing my furnace, "Since you're in my basement anyway, fix my water heater too... for free.")

I read that in the past year they may only be charging $1k for GB removal. (Not sure about this but Nina/Karla will be happy to explain it.)

I have NEVER soiled myself. Ever. Either before or after DS and GB removal. (Shudder.)

I would also encourage people to get rid of the GB. It's just another problem waiting to happen down the road. And chances are, it will because almost everyone who ever gets heavy enough to get WLS already has a diseased GB! Since you are having surgery anyway, it's a good deal!

I am currently looking for surgeons in Mexico, i thought I had found one but apparently i was being led in by a care coordinatir before I found this sight. Would you mind me asking how much did DS cost you with this surgeon? He seems to be the best options but niw im really skeptical after my last experience.
Mine was $9995. It was supposed to be $11k, but they had a special if I went in March instead of June. I was glad I did!

Have just been approved for a revision to DS at Mexicali Bariatric. No mention of what doctor would be doing it.
If Dr Ungson is now back........is he preferred......there are many great reviews of Dr Esquerra.

Have just been approved for a revision to DS at Mexicali Bariatric. No mention of what doctor would be doing it.
If Dr Ungson is now back........is he preferred......there are many great reviews of Dr Esquerra.
BOTH have an excellent reputation. I would go with either one.

You might inquire whether either or both Esquerra and Ungson would do the surgery laparoscopically, and if not, which way he does the incision (IIRC, Ungson prefers the horizontal open incision). Ask lots of questions.

So, I know people here feel strongly about having your gall bladder removed, but I went to Dr Esquerra and I did not do it. I did talk to my Dr about it and did research it and took my chances. I just did not want more of my body cut out.

Here is the thing though. If you keep your gall bladder, you really need to take actigall during your weight loss. It prevents gallstones. Here is a study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7818005

If you take these, your chances of a gallstones is very small.

If you keep your gall bladder, you really need to take actigall during your weight loss. It prevents gallstones

I didn't know about the medication option, I just didn't have health insurance when I had my WLS and was afraid of needing my gall bladder out in an emergency situation. so I asked my surgeon to just take it out as long as he was in there. :confused:

I've now lost 100 pounds 3 times. Took Actigall three times, never had a problem. I think this board has great advice and I'm so grateful to be part of this community. But on the Gall Bladder issue, I think the data is clear, you can take Actigall and keep your gall bladder.

Update, Dr. Ungson is back. He and Dr. Esquerra are rotating schedules. Mexicalli confirmed after they posted about Obesity Help this weekend.

Latest posts

Back