Dr. Gilberto Ungson and Dr.Esquerra Mexicali MX

What the others said was true for me.

I priced this at a WA State hospital at around $30,000 self pay. I was very happy with my Mexicali hospital. The US follow ups I've done have all been super impressed with the surgery itself.

Thanks. I actually spoke with them and did an application. They cleared me to come for surgery. The other dr. I am/was considering is dr. Greenbaum, he is around 10 for self pay but you have to get several tests done first with your own Drs. And stay for 2 weeks in a hotel and pay to get there. He cuts you dr Ugnson does it laparoscopic . Dr G takes out your appendix and gallbladder , does a liver biopsy, dr U does not. I need to work and so does my husband in order to pay for this so being away less time is important.
Any thoughts?

@Kathy26 I HONESTLY wished my gallbladder had been removed. It wasn't but I was in 6 months later having it removed. I could have avoided that surgery if my surgeon HAD removed them.

Wish mine had been removed as well. Appendicitis and appendectomy 3 months post DS. :(. So far no problems with gallbladder, but hate the thought of another surgery.

I had my gallbladder out about 10 years ago and then suffered with diarrhea and eating problems for the next year.

From: http://www.everydayhealth.com/gallbladder/digestive-problems-after-gallbladder-surgery.aspx

While it is not the norm to experience digestive problems after gallbladder surgery, they can include:
  • Difficulty digesting fatty foods. Some people have a slightly more difficult time digesting fatty foods for the first month after surgery. Eating a low-fat diet may help.
  • Temporary diarrhea. Because your gallbladder is no longer there to regulate the flow of bile, it will flow more constantly, but in smaller amounts, into your small intestine. This can lead to diarrhea for the first few days after surgery in many people. This side effect is most often temporary, and no treatment is needed. But if you have diarrhea that lasts for more than three days, call your doctor.
  • Chronic diarrhea. Some people who did not previously have more than one bowel movement per day will find themselves having more frequent bowel movements after gallbladder removal. These can sometimes be loose and watery, and be accompanied by a sense of urgency. Recent studies have found that this can occur in up to 17 percent of people after gallbladder removal. Men younger than age 50, especially if they are obese, have the highest likelihood of long-term diarrhea after gallbladder surgery, but a significant number of people without those risk factors may also have diarrhea for months to years after surgery. Eating a low-fat diet may help lessen symptoms, and treatments with medications which bind the excess bile acids — which are thought to be the cause of this bothersome symptom — often alleviate the problem.

It was horrible. MUCH worse than my experience post my DS surgery. And I worry that the above difficulty digesting fat foods combined with the DS mandate to require fat foods would not be a good match. I wonder if some of the people that really struggle after the DS do some more because of gallbladder surgery adjustments rather than just the DS.

Personally, I would want to keep the DS surgery and recovery as simple as possible. It is already a dozy of a surgery. Let tomorrow take care of itself.

My best friend (not a WLS patient) had emergency gallbladder surgery a few years ago after losing weight very quickly taking diet pills (how funny...I typed the name of it and it is a banned word!). Her words for months after her surgery were...Every time I eat I shit like a goose!
Pretty sure that has stabilized itself..but it took a while.
I still have both my gallbladder and appendix. Knock on wood...but so far no problems.
I figure if it didn't go bad after my rapid weight loss with my VSG...it shouldn't go bad now after my revision and losing much slower.

I am scheduled for the DS with Dr Ungson too, thanks for the information you share on the process, I am sure I will do very well too! No gallbladder removal for me, I also want to keep it as simple as possible, I am scared enough as it is!

Hi turkeylover...you won't be sorry. It truly was a very easy process start to finish.
Dr. Campos is amazing...he will be the one taking care of you after your surgery.

Hi turkeylover...you won't be sorry. It truly was a very easy process start to finish.
Dr. Campos is amazing...he will be the one taking care of you after your surgery.

I generally had Dr. Beltran check in on me. I thought he was excellent. He would almost beg me to complain about something so that he could fix it.

The only thing I remember about Dr. Campos was that he had the best cell phone ring tone ever. It was the theme for _The Good, the Bad and the Ugly_ movie and something about hearing those tones after crossing through the desert was just so right.

I generally had Dr. Beltran check in on me. I thought he was excellent. He would almost beg me to complain about something so that he could fix it.

The only thing I remember about Dr. Campos was that he had the best cell phone ring tone ever. It was the theme for _The Good, the Bad and the Ugly_ movie and something about hearing those tones after crossing through the desert was just so right.

I did see Dr. Beltran a few times also..he came in and removed my drain. He was also wonderful. I just have zero complaints about anything. It was awesome.

Ok I have decided on dr. Ungson. Now the date is either March 26 by myself or April 16 with my husband.

My husband wouldn't even entertain the thought of me going alone.
I COULD have done it alone but I'm glad I didn't have to. it was nice to have the company and the help. I'd wait until April 16 when he can go with you. By the third day I was bored out of my mind so having someone to talk to was very nice. Plus he's like my security blanket and my comfort. With him there I didn't have to worry about anything, he took care of it all.
You won't regret going there!

Ok I have decided on dr. Ungson. Now the date is either March 26 by myself or April 16 with my husband.

Congratulations! I know it was in the top three things I've ever done for myself and my guess I will revise that up as time goes on.

I'm happy my hubby was with me. It will be a powerful experience. It is a true line in the sand, everything afterwards will be different. Sharing that with hubby was important to me, and it made him feel more connected to my new life. On the other hand, there were people there with siblings, parents and friends and they seemed just as happy with their choices. Sometimes it really helps to have a medical advocate with you in the hospital, but that side of things never came up. They are so used to caring for people after these specific surgeries that they were always a few steps ahead of us.

Woo Hoo!

Latest posts

Back