Don's Freakout Palace

Random question for you from the hospital experience: do you recall discussing with Dr Campos or anyone else there how much we could expect to lose/get down to? I did not discuss a specific number with them but I too wonder when the magical losing is going to suddenly stop.

Random question for you from the hospital experience: do you recall discussing with Dr Campos or anyone else there how much we could expect to lose/get down to? I did not discuss a specific number with them but I too wonder when the magical losing is going to suddenly stop.
No, no one said anything about it and I didn't ask. The whole Mexicali experience is a blur at this point. I feel kinda guilty giving folks advice because I don't remember most of it very clearly (I assume good drugs plus stress and fatigue accounts for the fuzziness).
What I remember Dr Campos talking about were side effects and recovery right then and after we got out of the hospital.
My best guess from the average Excess weight loss for DS patients from the papers I've looked at and my pre-op weight Is that I reasonably can expect another 15-25 pounds of loss before I "hit bottom", but really there's so much variation from person to person it's impossible to say. Then I'll have to see how hard it's going to be maintain. :unsure:

Wow! Do some experimenting on the new you! You have great facial skin in this pic and your neck is downright svelte.
Thanks for the complements. I feel like I have a terrible turkey neck. I actually have a decent bit of loose skin on both sides of my windpipe (that was/is one of the challenging areas to shave). I still have several patches of fuzz that I haven't been able to get shaved clean (back of my jaw is another loose skin problem point/hair hideout).
turkey%20neck_1.jpg

No, no one said anything about it and I didn't ask. The whole Mexicali experience is a blur at this point. I feel kinda guilty giving folks advice because I don't remember most of it very clearly (I assume good drugs plus stress and fatigue accounts for the fuzziness).
What I remember Dr Campos talking about were side effects and recovery right then and after we got out of the hospital.
My best guess from the average Excess weight loss for DS patients from the papers I've looked at and my pre-op weight Is that I reasonably can expect another 15-25 pounds of loss before I "hit bottom", but really there's so much variation from person to person it's impossible to say. Then I'll have to see how hard it's going to be maintain. :unsure:

What were your stats beginning and now? What do you want to weigh?

What were your stats beginning and now? What do you want to weigh?
High weight is approximately 350-360 (January 2018). I decided to move on surgery and started again to try to lose weight, bought a scale that could do more than 300 pounds late February, it had me at 340. Day of Surgery (Dec 18th) I was 304. 5'9" is the height I have on my license (how tall I was at 18), but the last DOT physical the Doc put down 5' 8" and she was being charitable. Today (33 weeks postop) I am at 203 lb.
My target weight going in was 200, so my plan was to try for 180 or so to allow for regain. I still feel kinda fat so I'm not sure if my goal needs to move or if my brain needs to catch up to my current size.

Last edited:

I've been using the "Post Op Planner" on the Obesity help forums. I've seen numbers in papers anywhere from 67 to 85% Excess Weight Loss for DS patients. I've been using my surgery weight as I assume that's what you are supposed enter in for the pre-op weight.

Just finished a brisk 2 1/4 mile walk. I developed an issue some time around where I first hit 300 where my left arm and hand swell and become numb when I walk for an extended distance (usually sneaks up on me between half a mile and a mile). I had a stress test when it first happened, heart checked out, doc's answer is a shrug, my best guess is a lymph issue. Something else I hope to say goodbye to.

I was rereading the thread, the left arm going numb diminished a couple months post op and has vanished entirely in the last couple months. Pretty sure it's entirely from weight loss. Belated NSV!

Latest posts

Back