Don's Freakout Palace

[Repost]
Doing well enough.
Have had some bathroom struggles (I'm trying to up my fat intake and investing in barrels of Prep H). I can push it the other way with lots of carbs but that isn't a very fun experience.
Also struggling a bit with finding DS friendly convenient food. After a month of eating bacon jerky and cheese I'm having trouble eating more. Bread and breading are still rough for me. Nuts are okay but I can only do so many of them. At home it's hard to do a lot of cooking after 12 hour nights at work. I have made a few batches of chili that have worked well. I use about half the beans I did in the recipe pre op. I've made the Brok's pizza a couple of times but ran into my limit and have about half a pie in the freezer. I want to try the Fathead pizza some time. This weekend I'm making Beef stew. Steak has worked well, Arby's roast beef much less so, so hopefully stew works.
Losing has been hit or miss, have had a couple stalls. Sometimes I look in the mirror and wonder if I have lost much at all (I can compare photos and see a difference but it's hard to see it in the mirror).
Wife still thinks I smell bad so that's rough.
Work is still a dumpster fire but I can't go anywhere else without taking an approximately $20k a year hit.
Keep toying with the idea of a career change. I enjoy teaching but I'm not sure I want to wrangle a classroom of bored teenagers (plus that would be more like a 35k a year hit to my income).

Beef Bourguignon (Stew) worked well mostly. Went down very easy. Got inspired by a Keto recipe so added Bacon (thick sliced cut into small squares) instead of oil when searing the beef. That was a bridge too far on the fat. Had to use immodium to slow the train down once it got rolling.
Given the "stimulating" effects I'll probably need to freeze most of the stew and have 1-2 bowls a weekend.
Other experiment did not go well at all. I saw "Carb Balance" tortillas on one of Shrinking Violet's youtube videos so I tried them for wraps. Only got a fifth at most of it down. Probably not the tortilla's fault. Sliced meat in general seems to be really problematic for me.

Beef Bourguignon (Stew) worked well mostly. Went down very easy. Got inspired by a Keto recipe so added Bacon (thick sliced cut into small squares) instead of oil when searing the beef. That was a bridge too far on the fat. Had to use immodium to slow the train down once it got rolling.
Given the "stimulating" effects I'll probably need to freeze most of the stew and have 1-2 bowls a weekend.
Other experiment did not go well at all. I saw "Carb Balance" tortillas on one of Shrinking Violet's youtube videos so I tried them for wraps. Only got a fifth at most of it down. Probably not the tortilla's fault. Sliced meat in general seems to be really problematic for me.
As time goes on, you can still count on all of this changing! If you get a chance try some of the Kroger brand low carb wraps. I think those are the best tasting ones out there but they are not always easy to find.

Don

Just checking in... it's been a while since you posted

I'm a 2 weeks post DS... so far no problems.

But I do wonder what the near future holds

I've been having a rough ride of late. Had some excitement about a month ago: My Saturday Morning adventure . In short I collapsed, perhaps fainted, a couple of times and just felt incredibly weak and drained. Verdict was dehydration and possibly anemia from a GI bleed. For the last 3 months or so I've been fighting fissures/hemorrhoids and blood in my stool has been a regular fixture so I have doubts that the blood in the stool is anything to get too excited about.
I screwed myself up a month or so back when I tried switching from MRM Bone Maximizer to straight Calcium Citrate. By the time I'd made the connection my backside was in a state of agony. I've switched to Jarrow Bone Up and am running 4 stool softeners a day (and ran one dose of Miralax a day for a few weeks) and seem to have things mostly balanced out but the backside is easy to hurt and slow to heal so I'm hanging on and hoping the pain gets better soon.
Have a Colonoscopy Monday and then finally am going to see the GI Nurse Practitioner next Friday so hopefully if those will produce any answers I will have them soon.
As far as loss goes I feel like I've been stalled more often than not, I've been hanging around 228 for four weeks now and have had a few multi week stalls before that.
Been dealing with a lot of fatigue and some lightheadedness. If I keep my carbs up it stays mostly manageable, but together with the pain and the stall I'm just not feeling that great at the moment.

Other vitamin changes I have made:
I doubled my Iron. I'm taking DHC heme, was taking two a day, now I'm taking four.
I doubled my B12 and Folic Acid (taking both 2x a day now).
Back when I had terrible constipation I switched my Magnesium from Glycinate to Citrate. Now I'm taking Mag G for my morning and midday doses and Citrate for my nighttime dose.
Also doubled my Potassium since I'm still fighting cramps.
Also have added Probiotics, "Essential Amino acids" and Taurine.

Latest posts

Back