Don's Freakout Palace

I did get a report by phone, my hemoglobin, ferritin, and D are all good, but my liver enzymes are elevated so I have to go in Friday and have a hepatitis screen and an ultrasound of my gall bladder.

This is really common when you're rapidly losing weight. I had to go through the same thing re the hepatitis screening. So, don't stress!

The increase in liver enzymes is a very very expected part of the early post-op (1+ years) "normal." Your liver is working overtime to process fats that are being metabolized, as well as fat-soluble toxins that have been stored in your fat that are released as the fat is mobilized for use as an energy source. This is a primary reason for not drinking alcohol during the first year post-op - your liver is already stressed by this normal process. Let them test you, but don't stress about it.

Congrats on being freed from those prescriptions! How are you feeling today? Hopefully the pain is a bit less. Please remember to stay hydrated as you recover. It really makes a great difference.

Don't be worried about the liver enzymes. Very normal during the rapid loss phase. Some docs don't know this and one woman I know was put on a transplant list. But it wasn't liver failure, it was weight loss.

Apparently I have "sludge" in my gall bladder so I'm supposed to start Ursidol ASAP.
Annoying how my stomach size seems to vary day to day. Ate a Jimmy Dean breakfast bowl yesterday no problem, today I've got half down and that was probably a bite or two too much.
Got to dig a semi truck out of a snow bank yesterday so that was fun, some pain on my incisions while I was doing it but no lingering discomfort.

You know what's going to happen very soon, once your incisions heal? You are going to do some physical labor and realize that you are really strong, because you're not ALSO carrying around all that extra weight. It's going to feel amazing.

Apparently I have "sludge" in my gall bladder so I'm supposed to start Ursidol ASAP.
Annoying how my stomach size seems to vary day to day. Ate a Jimmy Dean breakfast bowl yesterday no problem, today I've got half down and that was probably a bite or two too much.
Got to dig a semi truck out of a snow bank yesterday so that was fun, some pain on my incisions while I was doing it but no lingering discomfort.
Go slow for now. While your incisions are healed, the insides take 6-8 weeks to heal.

Take it easy, superman! No shoveling. :) Seriously - you're still at fairly high risk for hernia. Glad to see the meds come down. Soon you will feel better than ever.

Dealing with some mixed emotions.
Dug out the suitcase of misfit pants and got the "outgrown" jeans. I figured I'd wear the 44s this week and be in the 42s in a couple weeks. I modeled the 44s for the wife and she said they looked fine, not tight at all. So I tried on the 42s. They fit. Most of my other clothes are too large now (I have a mix of 2xl, 2xl tall, and 3xl shirts). But so far it isn't critical, so I'm going to ignore it as long as possible. Probably will have to break down and deal with buying some temporary clothes in a month or so.
On the downside, first the trivial. I get sentimental about stupid stuff. I felt a twinge of sadness when I saw the pile of 46 and 48s that formerly occupied my pants drawer. I'm going to have to get rid of a LOT of clothes, which is hard for a borderline packrat like myself. Found a pair of 42 shorts that fit (they were the tightest of everything I tried on but still were fine (they're jean shorts so in a couple hours of wear they'd loosen up). It occured to me that I'm probably going to be too small for them by the time it's warm enough to wear them.
I'm starting to get loose skin and stretch marks. I was complaining to the wife that I wasn't expecting to get loose skin until I had lost a hundred pounds or so. She pointed out that I am about a hundred pounds below my high weight (about a year ago).
Second, the more substantial. My wife doesn't like being close to me because I smell "wrong" (she describes the odor as sickly sweet). We know it's ketosis and will pass but it's still distressing.

About the sweet smell. See your dentist ASAP. That should rule out a dental issue.

Clothing, I hope to impart some wisdom learned the hard way. I spent tons of money on clothes after my weight loss. I now wish I had not. Those clothes are gone. My tastes and work have changed drastically.

I wish I had shopped Goodwill and Salvation Army, and other stores for clothes.

What I do now is remodel clothes at home. I also use mens shirt material to sew quilts. I have a longarm machine, so I do them from start to finish. I work at home.

And KEEP the stuff you are attached to. I have regrets about giving clothes away. I dont enjoy seeing my favorite sweater on one particular lady......LOL. So keep some stuff. You CAN have it resized, or remodeled into something else.

Latest posts

Back