Don's Freakout Palace

Soup, or a soft fish like salmon sound like your best bets.

I was on 'real' food fairly early, but second (third?) the comment to experiment at home (and when you'll be home for a couple of hours after).

Had Salmon with Alfredo sauce and shredded cheese on top. Ate most of the sauce and cheese, then had a very small amount of Salmon (about the size of a single pre-op bite, though it took 4-5 installments over about half an hour to get that in). Had a brief ugh moment after eating the sauce and cheese, but overall everything went down well. Be glad when I empty out a bit so I can start on my protein.

Edit: I also had a small bit of one of the mini desserts. It's kind of amazing how such a tiny amount can still give you the happy feeling of having the dessert. Pre-Op I'd have wolfed the whole thing down and then wished for more (while feeling miserably overfull).

Last edited:
15 years later, I rarely eat a full dessert that is very sweet - the way it works for me is the first bite is delicious! The second bite is really great! The third bite is still good. And the fourth bite is nice, but that's enough. Sometimes, I take another bite, and it's really disappointing, because it tastes gaggingly sweet.

But sweets were not my Achilles heel - it's salty carbs. I'd usually pick a piece of matzoh, slathered with butter and salted to a glistening field of crystals, over anything sweet. Interestingly, I just did my 23andMe and got this: "Sweet vs. Salty: Likely prefers salty"

Dug out the Surgery report. My total bowel length was 7 meters, my Common channel is 130 CM, My Alimentary limb is 200 CM, and my Biliopancreatic limb is 370 CM. I'm assuming the Alimentary limb measurement on the surgery report is just for the alimentary leg, not for the whole alimentary limb because otherwise the numbers don't add up. The long common channel is my fault. When I talked to Dr Wilhelmy (with Dr Campos acting as translator) before surgery I told them I was more concerned with long term health than getting the absolute maximum possible weight loss and I asked for 125 CM. I fully expected to have a longer total small bowel length (I have a long trunk for my height). Looking at my actual Small Bowel Length, their 100 CM minimum was already a bit more than 25 CM over ideal (10%).

Edit: I misremembered the Alimentary leg length, which is kind of sad since I looked at the report just before posting, it was 200, not 250.

Last edited:
Don't sweat the extra 25 cm on the cc. Men always seem to lose more than women anyway. You should do just fine with these lengths.

Spent waaaay too long sorting the vitamins into the organizer. Realized as I was doing it that the Calcium CItrate actually has Calcium Carbonate in it, so that one's not getting reordered. ALso realized my multivitamin from preop isn't going to work. It's a Men's 50+ and has 300% of B6 in each pill, so I'll have to get a bottle of Centrum. Will be glad to get my first labs back so I can hopefully cull the herd.

Here's my schedule, based on the schedule from the facebook group and the vitalady list along with some other suggestions I've picked up during my pre-op research
3 PM
DHC heme iron 5 mg
Potassium Gluconate 550 mg
Solaray Copper Capsules 2mg
Solgar Sublingual Methylcobalamin (Vitamin B12) 5000 mcg
DEVROM Tablets (Internal Deoderant)200MG
Magnesium Glycinate 200 MG x1
Multivitamin
Dry Form Vitamin A 25,000 IU
Solaray - Zinc, 50 mg
Solaray - Calcium Citrate Complex, 1000 mg

7 PM
Biotech Pharmacal - D3-50 (50,000iu)
Magnesium Glycinate 200 MG x2
Dessicated Beef Liver x2
Solgar B-Complex "100"
Solaray Dry E 400 IU
Acetyl L-Carnitine Capsules 600mg

Midnight
DHC heme iron 5 mg
Dry Form Vitamin A 25,000 IU
Nutricost Folic Acid (Vitamin B9) 1000 mcg
Multivitamin
Acetyl L-Carnitine Capsules 600mg
Solaray Dry E 400 IU
Solaray - Zinc, 50 mg

5 AM
Magnesium Glycinate 200 MG x2
Dessicated Beef Liver x2
Bio-Tech K1-1000 mcg
Superior Source Vitamin K2-MK7, 100 mcg

Daily totals
Biotech Pharmacal - D3-50 (50,000iu)
DHC heme iron 5 mg x2
Potassium Gluconate 550 mg x1
Solaray Copper Capsules 2mg x1
Solgar Sublingual Methylcobalamin (Vitamin B12) 5000 mcg x1
DEVROM Tablets (Internal Deoderant)200MG x4
Magnesium Glycinate 200 MG x5
Multivitamin x2
Dry Form Vitamin A 25,000 IU x2
Solaray - Zinc, 50 mg x2
Solaray - Calcium Citrate Complex, 1000 mg x4
Dessicated Beef Liver x4
Solgar B-Complex "100" x1
Solaray Dry E 400 IU x2
Acetyl L-Carnitine Capsules 600mg x2
Bio-Tech K1-1000 mcg x1
Superior Source Vitamin K2-MK7, 100 mcg x1

*edit: added D3

Last edited:
Daily totals
DHC heme iron 5 mg x2
Potassium Gluconate 550 mg x1
Solaray Copper Capsules 2mg x1
Solgar Sublingual Methylcobalamin (Vitamin B12) 5000 mcg x1
DEVROM Tablets (Internal Deoderant)200MG x4
Magnesium Glycinate 200 MG x5
Multivitamin x2
Dry Form Vitamin A 25,000 IU x2
Solaray - Zinc, 50 mg x2
Solaray - Calcium Citrate Complex, 1000 mg x4
Dessicated Beef Liver x4
Solgar B-Complex "100" x1
Solaray Dry E 400 IU x2
Acetyl L-Carnitine Capsules 600mg x2
Bio-Tech K1-1000 mcg x1
Superior Source Vitamin K2-MK7, 100 mcg x1
Where is your Dry D3 50,000? BioTech, Nivagen, and biophix are all options (from Amazon). 50,000 a day minimum to start.
Okay, a generic Centrum equivalent is fine, doesn't have to be the Centrum brand. Many of us use Costco's Kirkland Daily Multi
41XMDdVc80L._AC_US218_.jpg

Calcium Citrate: best guess of all the vets is we only absorb about 600 mgs per time we take it. Watch out for words like "Complex" can have things in it you do not want.
Hubby and I take Citracal. A serving of Citracal is 2 tablets for 630 mgs each.
With the B Complex keep a close watch on your B6. If you start feeling odd sensations in your hands or feet, stop it til you get tested. There is a B Complex without B6, called Desert Harvest.
51ENUwhrUKL._SY679_.jpg

Other than that, looks pretty good for a start.

Remember, the first year, labs at 3, 6, and 12 months. Your PCP may balk at the 3 months but get it if you can. Remember, he works for you. Get copies, log them into an excel spreadsheet, and if you need help, cover your personal info and post them here in the vitamin forum. Your result PLUS the lab ranges. And we will help.

Where is your Dry D3 50,000? BioTech, Nivagen, and biophix are all options (from Amazon). 50,000 a day minimum to start.
I must have missed that. I think it's at the second dose of the day. I wrote it all by hand as I was filling the organizer, then typed it up so It'd be more legible (I have godawful handwriting). Once the wife is up I'll check the handwritten sheet and edit the post and the document.
I was worried I was too high on the calcium, since I'm down for 4000mg a day.
So far I'm taking the D, the Mag G, the B12, and the Potassium (I may look for some smaller Mag G or a pill splitter while I'm out today because these horse pills don't feel great after swallowing. The Mag G has finally relieved my leg cramps, so that's good.
Got some unjury protein powder today. So far I've tried the Strawberry. I mixed it into some fair life milk for breakfast. Tastes fine (I like Strawberry Milk on occasion) but I'm disappointed with how poorly it mixed. I was hoping with the Unjury I wouldn't have to use the blender to mix it like I do with the other protein powder I have.

I disagree with Liz on the Vit D3. I didn’t need supplements until I was 5-6 years out.

And why are you taking so much Devrom? I wouldn’t take it unless there was some desperate reason that you must try to suppress the odor.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1633100/

I've been fighting D deficiency for a couple years, so I figured I wasn't starting in a good place (was taking 5000/day before surgery because 2x1000 wasn't getting me out of deficiency).

On the Devrom, I was going off the dosing instructions on the bottle. So far the toxic gas is hit or miss. I've stink up the room something fierce for a couple hours and then be fine for a couple days. I just saw folks referencing Devrom and figured that was part of the daily drill. I also have activated charcoal pills. Is Devrom usually taken reactively or should I just use it when I'm going to be around people a lot?

I came up low on my very first blood test, 3 months out. It's doing much better now finally climbing after 18 months. I think I might have been below before I even had surgery, they didn't test for it before. Low D is one of the most common deficiencies for the general public. :sneaky:

Hi Don, how are your incisions coming along? I saw my PCP this week and she told me to dress the one above my belly button plus the one where the drain was, as that one is bleeding and the drain hole is draining. She said they look good. Good on you for starting the vitamins, I’m barely able to get my prescription meds down my gullet for now. It’s good to hear the Unjury isn’t too repulsive as I ordered some to be delivered any day now.

Hi Don, how are your incisions coming along? I saw my PCP this week and she told me to dress the one above my belly button plus the one where the drain was, as that one is bleeding and the drain hole is draining. She said they look good. Good on you for starting the vitamins, I’m barely able to get my prescription meds down my gullet for now. It’s good to hear the Unjury isn’t too repulsive as I ordered some to be delivered any day now.
My incisions are doing pretty well. The drain incision was bleeding off and on until a couple days ago. The others seem mostly closed up. I've had a hard time keeping a bandage on the drain incision. My first aid skills aren't that good apparently and the tape keeps working loose and then snagging on the inside of my shirt and getting pulled off when I move.

I don't see why you are taking all those vitmans. Do you have blood work that justify them all? I went to MX too, but the Dr I work with here who also had the DS btw, gave me some blood work when I got back. I needed Vit. D and told me to talk a multi designed for the DS and then said wait 3 months and we will do some tests because it takes a while to see what you are short.

Now, I take D, a B, the Multi something called L-Carnitine and that is really it. All are once a day besides for the L-Carnitine. That is all I need. You list seems overwhelming if the blood work does not justify it and my understanding is it take a while for your Vit. to deplate

Latest posts

Back