Don's Freakout Palace

What Larra said about the Nexium. Omeprazole (Prilosec) and Nexium don't help me, never have and I've been on PPI's since 2005? Anyway, I have to use the generic Prevacid or Protonix.

Oldest daughter bought me a recliner which was really nice. I had no idea what I was missing. Only downside was the first time I reclined the dog decided my abdomen would obviously make a great dog bed (he's a 30 pound mutt who thinks he's a toy lapdog) so that didn't feel amazing. Till seems to have put the fear of God into him for now so I haven't had any more flying canines landing on my gut.
I'm going to try the bed again tonight, if it's still reflux city then I'll probably move to the recliner to sleep (with the CPAP that will be a little bit of a production).
Still working on getting in what I needn, I am at 50ish ounces of fluids and probably 15 grams of protein, hoping to get the last bit of both from a protein water in the next couple hours then have nothing by mouth for a couple hours before bed.

Last edited:
Only downside was the forsf time I declined the dog decided my abdomen would obviously make a great dog bed (he's a 30 pound mutt who thinks he's a toy lapdog) so that didn't feel amazing. Till seems to have put the fear of God into him for now so I haven't had any more flying canines landing on my gut.
I had a cat who, while not weighing 30 lbs he did FEEL like it, decided he wanted his regular sleeping spot on my stomach. I just added a pillow on my stomach while sleeping and it seem to discourage him. So yeah, animals sleeping ON you is problematic with abdominal surgery.

Heartburn seems well in hand. I'm using a wedge pilow and my two normal pillows to keep the tops half of my body elevated and not drinking anything an hour or two before bed.
Dealing with some cramps in my legs and feet, Can't eat bananas, my usual response when I get crampy. I've tried getting some electrolytes in and wearing wool socks and insulated leggings but still have the crampiness. As long as I'm careful with my movements they don't usually progress to full on cramps.
Overall, I'm doing pretty good. I don't have any pain from my incisions unless I try to bend over or twist. I'm not ready to run a marathon but my energy level doesn't feel too bad.

Okay, time to fess up my sin and ask for advice.
I'm about a week and a half postop. According to Mexicali I'm supposed to still be on straight liquids for another week yet (then purees for another 10 days, then another 10 days of soft). Wife brought home Popeyes for the family. I tried Mashed Potatoes and brown gravy. That went down pretty well. So after a while, I got brave and took a wing. I think I took my time and chewed it well, but a few minutes afterward I was sure I was going to throw it all up. I did heave up a little water but did not actually throw up any food. After about 15 minutes of discomfort and nausea things settled down. So verdict seems to be soft/pureed will fly right now, but it's probably too early to tackle solid food.
We're going to Olive Garden tomorrow night for a family get together. My best guess I have right now for what I should have is a soup or perhaps Fettuccine Alfredo (meatless) and trying to stick to the sauce as much as possible. I'm guessing chunks of meat are going to be problematic but pasta isn't usually a win for DSers. Another possibility would be Lasagna dip, ignoring the chips and just eating the sauce and cheese. Long shot would be Salmon and then trying very hard to chew it to paste (I'm not much of a fan of fish). Anyone have any suggestions for anything from Olive Garden that would work for a baby DSer?

I was eating food within a few days - I had cream of wheat and maybe scrambled egg in the hospital.

At Olive Garden I would stick with a cream of something soup, and avoid the chunks. Maybe a baked potato with melted cheese if they have it? (A nice early out food is Pintos and Cheese from Taco Bell, of all things (hold the hot sauce).)

Another good choice would be that salmon with alfredo sauce to make it go down easier AND it would be protein. But you probably won't get more than an ounce or two in. But - you can take it home and eat it a few more times, heating gently in the microwave. Don't be afraid to ask for them to make you plate of something you can eat - just say you need very moist soft food, and be willing to pay extra if necessary.

Hi Don, I’ve been eating a smidgeon of soft eggs, retried beans, and today I had a butternut squash soup. I was starting to feel too woozy for my liking so I thought I’d better add a little more substance to my intake. 3-4 bites max or else my sternum feels tight and I get belchy. I’m only a day ahead of you but I vote for soup from Olive Garden. I would not want to be out and about experimenting in case it got ugly.

LorettaLynn makes a really important point - do your experimenting at home!

For Olive Garden, I would recommend the minestrone soup, since it isn't cream based, and just don't eat the chunks of veggies. I'm not surprised you had trouble with the chicken. Too stringy/fibrous so soon, though later you'll do fine with it. Salmon or other soft fish is a good choice, though I guess not so much if you don't like fish. I think pasta will also sit like a log in your baby sleeve and would avoid it completely at this point.

Ok, not to be pedantic, but....

Its OK to eat if you can handle it but be careful. Mexcali says to stay off food way longer than other places. I would stick with Fish for your meat for a while. Fresh Mozzarella worked well

But lets talk about Pasta. Carbs are now not your friends. You should avoid them. They will keep you fat.

Latest posts

Back