Don's Freakout Palace

DonRobbie

This thread will be pretty random. Mostly I just wanted to have a repository for the questions I had and possibly to record my journey (I'm a terrible diarist/blogger so I don't hold out much hope on that front).

Since I joined the board I have gotten my BMI below 50, had my 47th Birthday, and have begun the process with Mexicali Bariatric Center. I had to do a hardship withdrawal from my 401k to make this happen which I'm not thrilled with but I decided I really can't wait forever to get this done.

Getting the surgery has always been kind of a distant ambition for me. Now it is suddenly becoming very real. So I'm freaking out a bit as I think about all the changes that are coming very soon.

I love research. So I have been having a right good time reading about different surgeries and common channel lengths and whatnot. But I really haven't gotten around to thinking very hard about what I'm going to be doing as I learn the ropes with my new tool. So lots of cramming to do.

I've made a lot of changes in the last year. For years I knocked back 4-6 bottles (or more) of soda a day. At this point I'm down to 1-2 a week. I've cut my food intake at work considerably. But a lot harder stuff is coming. I'm working toward weaning off of caffeine because that needs done a couple weeks before the date, then there's the liquid diet for the home stretch. Then when I walk in the door after flying home the real fun begins and I feel pretty darn unprepared.

Splitting this up to not be such a wall of text.

I've thought about the SIPS procedure or a longer common channel in part because there is a bit of regain. This makes no sense, but I remember feeling terrible and fat and gross as a teenager at 165 (having just shot up from 133) while as a college student I felt really good about my body at 185 (Having just dropped from 210). So feel much better about the idea of being 185-200 than I do about being 160. I realize consciously that my view of those numbers is warped by the mental lens I was looking at the scale through but it's still my gut reaction.

With the surgery becoming more real "food funerals" (which I always thought seemed a little silly) make a lot more sense. I know a lot of the foods it's not goodbye forever but rather we'll see a little bit of each other in a year or so, but it's still a bummer. I've developed a bit of a hobby cooking. Some of my favorites will carry over (with modifications) but it's going to be a while before I'm going to be ready to try them out. Some things are probably DOA. We had a tradition where I made a big pan of lasagna every Christmas. The girls love the tradition and always were kinda horrified anytime we discussed changing it but I did a sizable portion of the eating on the leftovers. I don't think pasta and cheese are ever going to be okay in quantity post DS.

Don, already done more than many people to prepare for your surgery and the aftermath. It's normal to be afraid, or at least concerned, about the unknown, and for all of us, what life will be like post-op is a great unknown. My gut feeling is that you're going to do great. You already know a lot, and you can (and will) ask questions when you have them. I think your decision to use your 401K was a good decision. Yes, it sucks, but your health and qualify of life are worth far more than any amount of money, and that money is useless to you if you aren't around to spend it. And don't sweat the lasagna. True, you won't be eating it this year, but I future years you can have some, and you won't want tons of it because your stomach will tell you when to stop. If you still feel bad about the leftovers, freeze them in small portions and defrost when you want a little. You can make this work.

Talked to my Mom tonight. I was anxious about telling her that I was having the surgery. I was worried she'd freak out. Then she mentioned that her orthopedic surgeon (she's had both knees replaced in the past couple years) recommended she think about weight loss surgery and she was going to talk to her primary care physician about it at her next appointment. So I told her I was getting a DS and it was cool. I remember my mom working so hard so many times to get weight off when I was a teen. That was part of why I had such a fatalistic attitude about my weight.

I'll give you one warning about frozen pasta - it will probably (possibly) make you really gassy - and very stinky gas at that. When rehydrated starches are chilled, a portion of the starch converts to a form called retrograde starch, which your shortened gut can't fully digest. It passes into your colon undigested, where your colonic bacteria have a field day on it.

Note: I still eat it, when I don't have to go out until after the noxious fumes pass. But never EVER eat leftover pasta for breakfast on a work day.

Don, if your Mom is on the internet, have her come here to learn more about bariatric surgery and the DS. Bariatric surgery is far safer than it used to be, and far safer than most people (including doctors) believe it is. And the risks of remaining MO should not be underestimated - when considering surgery, it's important to consider both the risks of the surgery and its potential benefits, and also the risks of not having surgery. And that doesn't even factor in quality of life concerns.
There are surgeons these days who are willing to operate on older people, in their overall health is ok. Even if she doesn't want the DS, she could certainly consider a sleeve gastrectomy. It has become the most common bariatric surgery in the USA these days, surpassing gastric bypass, and IMHO a much easier operation to live with. And far, far superior to lap band in both results and quality of life.

Don...you can eat cheese 3 meals a day if you want. No worries! And don't discount the Man Factor. It's anecdotal but I am convinced it's real. Men lose more, faster, and generally have an easier time staying thin than the women. Soon you will get to see for yourself and make up your own mind.

Yes, you will have lasagna again. Maybe you will make it with baked zucchini strips and maybe you will use pasta. Making lasagna once a year is not a disaster.

Caffeine and diet soda are no big deal. Most of us drink it. Just beware of drinking sugar! The liquid diet bites and you will hate it. But that time will pass.

After this is done and done you will be amazed and wishing you had done it years ago.

I had every feeling, fear, and worry of “how it will be”. Once you get to living it, you don’t have time to worry about that anymore. You will be able to eat about anything in moderation and once in a while after a while.

I didn’t quite understand your statement about channel length and SIPS. Did you mean you are considering SIPS? I hope you go for the classic DS! Don’t be worrying about what most likely won’t happen (getting too thin).

You are very normal to be having your questions and thoughts!

Hi Don - I analyzed and reanalyzed DS about a zillion times before having it. I think that a roller coaster of thoughts and emotions is absolutely natural when you are about to undergo a serious procedure that alters sustenance, comfort mechanisms, appearance, etc. Hang in there! The end result of a healthier, more agile, enabled body with a longer, higher quality of life is well worth it. My only regret now is not having had it sooner.

have begun the process with Mexicali Bariatric Center
how soon is it coming up do you think?

you sound very prepared to me, and the changes you have already made are fantastic. I also would love to see your Mom on here, either lurking or posting as well. :D

Splitting this up to not be such a wall of text.

With the surgery becoming more real "food funerals" (which I always thought seemed a little silly) make a lot more sense. I know a lot of the foods it's not goodbye forever but rather we'll see a little bit of each other in a year or so, but it's still a bummer. I've developed a bit of a hobby cooking. Some of my favorites will carry over (with modifications) but it's going to be a while before I'm going to be ready to try them out. Some things are probably DOA. We had a tradition where I made a big pan of lasagna every Christmas. The girls love the tradition and always were kinda horrified anytime we discussed changing it but I did a sizable portion of the eating on the leftovers. I don't think pasta and cheese are ever going to be okay in quantity post DS.

I think the food funeral thing is over thought by people. I really was scared about that. I had my last supper at the Cheesecake Factory. I was really scared about needed to give up type of food.

I don't give anything up now. If it's high carb, I tend to think of it as a treat. I don't do bread or pasta much, I do eat ice cream and sweets. But, I could swap it around.

What I do give up is volume eating - and I miss that - but I don't miss any type of food. I do miss three cafe lattes a day, but I weight 135 pounds. Very few 135 pound people can drink more than one cafe latte a day. And I don't have them every day.

What the DS gave me was the ability to choose and have control. I can't eat a giant pan of Lasanga or more than 3/4 of a slice of pizza. I can't eat a whole ommettee, bacon, and hash browns, but I can eat 1/3 of that plate. And you know that is OK if I get to be thin and not die.

The first 6 months to a year, eating is hard, but after that it's OK. If you want Lasagna, you can have it. The cheese is fine, the noodles you need to be careful about, but you can eat some.

I hope this helps.

The way your life opens up and feeling healthy and no worrying about comorbitiies is worth not having 3 cafe lattes a day. :)

As hilary1617 said, her only regret is not doing it sooner.

I went to Mexicali too. For what it is, it's a good experience. Good luck.

Speaking of food funerals. Mostly overdone but of all the foods I can eat, one of my favorites gives me major issues now...regular whole milk. I honestly wish I had more of it before surgery cause I’m been intolerant of store bought milk ever since. Right now, I am close to a place that sells raw cows milk and I can drink that with no problem.

Latest posts

Back