Don's Freakout Palace

Follies and mishaps:
Ran out of Fair Life milk, so I just used heavy whipping cream to mix with my protein powder. Wound up with something like cake frosting. Mixed in a premier protein shake just to get it to a liquid state so I could add it to my coffee. I've used straight heavy whipping cream before and had it come out thick but never in a semisolid form. I'm assuming I must have run the blender too long?
In the continual struggle with constipation have once again cut out calcium. Ran low on DHC Iron so I picked up some Proferrin. I was taking DHC 4 times a day (was trending toward anemia on 2x daily). Right now I'm taking a Proferrin in the morning, a DHC in the evening, and 3 Beef spleen tablets spread throughout the day which should be the same total amount of iron if not a bit more. I haven't changed my diet that I've noticed but I seem to be running hard and slow so to speak. My best guess is the Proferrin is gumming things up. I already have it synched up with breakfast which is my fat bomb meal (HWC in my coffee, eggs and bacon). I take some Mag Citrate right before bed so it can work its magic overnight but I'm not sure if I should move that to the same time as the proferrin or do something else to get things back in sync.

If you have halfway decent insurance and you’re running to anemia, despite trying to juggle the timing of and endure the gut issues from oral iron, I would urge you to ask for a referral (or self refer) to a hematologist, and ask for iron infusions. Then you never have to deal with taking iron again.

Ask for a hematologist who is familiar with bariatric patients who don’t absorb oral iron, or who is willing to learn.

I’m pleased to have just found one in AZ - my last infusion was 4.5 years ago in CA, and I found a good one on my first try. Had one infusion of Injectofer on Tuesday, second and final one on Wednesday. I expect to last another 4 years from this one.

Complain bitterly about your gut issues from the iron, and how it makes it impossible to take the calcium you need without giving yourself an anal fissure.

Last edited:
Don...

There is another kind of iron you can take, poly saccharide iron... a bit less expensive than proferrin.. but also does not compete with Calcium

I'll let the experts here speak to efficacy

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
8 months
198.8 lbs
8%20months.jpg

I was getting pretty irritated with the camera on my phone before I finally got a usable shot.

Favorite pair of Goodwill shorts is too big now. THey're 36s so I knew they'd have a short shelf life. Into the suitcase of misfit clothes...

The dam broke loose yesterday. Ate lots of fat to help things along. For now the plan is I'm taking Proferrin at the end of the day (the same time as my Mag Citrate), we'll give it a week and then adjust as needed.

9 Months
195 lbs
9%20Months.jpg

Still plugging along. Probably will try to get the hemorrhoids removed after the first of the year when I can get an FSA going again and have some personal days to spend. Right now I am bouncing around between 194 and 200 pounds. A lot of that seems to depend on how backed up I am at the moment.

I see you compromised on the beard, there ,but looks more trimmed to my eye

Actually that's all the faster it's grown in. I'm shaving my neck still but only now had to trim back the mustache. The Chin and Neck grows really fast and thick but the sideburns are thin and slow to grow in and the mustache is somewhere in between.

I never have learned how to trim one so I've generally let it just grow until it got annoying then went after it with scissors until it was a more presentable size. I've let a couple of the hair places in town have a go at it but the results are about equivalent to said scissors. Contemplating getting one of those fancy trimmers but I'm sure all the little plastic combs, etc. will be lost in short order and I really have no clue how to use one. Had to teach myself how to shave as a kid and never picked up any of the finer points.

Was any one of those a plain old fashioned barber shop?
Just mass market hair places (the JC Penny hair salon, Great Clips, etc). Usually have my head and beard trimmed when I'm taking the wife to get her hair done. There is a local barbershop but the wife would disown me if I patronized him (he literally has a loudspeaker setup on the roof of his car to blast the "good news" at innocent bystanders as he putters around town).

Just mass market hair places (the JC Penny hair salon, Great Clips, etc). Usually have my head and beard trimmed when I'm taking the wife to get her hair done. There is a local barbershop but the wife would disown me if I patronized him (he literally has a loudspeaker setup on the roof of his car to blast the "good news" at innocent bystanders as he putters around town).
There must be more than one barbershop in town, unless it’s truly tiny. But honestly a barbershop is your best bet. Hubby gets his best haircuts/beard & mustache trims there. There is an art to being a barber.

The problem is that many of the people who work at salons are not trained barbers. They’re cosmetologists. The difference between the two can spell the difference between a dopey-looking haircut and a great one.

A barber is trained to cut with clippers, the main tool in cutting a man’s hair. Cosmetologists, on the other hand, are trained to use scissors. Their training is also geared towards catering to women’s hair.

Latest posts

Back