Don's Freakout Palace

I'm scared (freaking terrified actually) about not knowing what's on the other side of the door, but there's nothing to do now but press forward.

totally normal and pressing forward is exactly what you need to do. luckily this scary part will be over very quickly.

:5grouphug:

If you weren’t freaking out at this point, you probably didn’t think this through enough.

Now, project yourself 3 months in the future: healed, getting the hang of things, and effortlessly losing 2-5 lbs/week.

Wow....this is a great way to think about it.

I know EXACTLY how you’re feeling! It all comes rushing back when I read your post. It was a very surreal experience. I couldn’t believe I was doing it, and it was as if I was observing myself going through the motions. My sister got a little freaked when we arrived at the hospital but for some reason I felt very calm and I told her it was fine,not to worry. I have no doubt you’ll be the same way. You will just want to get it done and be on the other side. No, there’s no way to really know how it’ll be but even with some pain and discomfort, the good things quickly outweigh the bad! I’m so excited for you.

Well, the liquid diet sucks every but as much as I had been lead to believe. Didn't do too bad the first day, but the last couple have totally kicked my butt. I'm up right now because I woke up hungry and was unable to get back to sleep. I've had three bites or so of greek yogurt and the stomach is saying 'no more'. So I'm working on getting some water down in hopes that will help the nausea.
It seemed like the Surgery would never come, and now that I'm here on the precipice before stepping off (sorry, watched Spider Man last night so that's the metaphor that comes to mind) it feels like it has all happened so fast. I'm scared (freaking terrified actually) about not knowing what's on the other side of the door, but there's nothing to do now but press forward. You can watch all the videos and read all the forum posts, and common threads emerge, but the upshot is everyone's journey is unique.
My wife is feeling some fear too, I'm not sure how much of it is my cowardice making me give off scared and stressed vibes and affecting her and how much is normal. We grew up together really, married at 21, been together 27 years. So it's got to be scary for her. I wish I was a stronger support for her. She told me last night she thought I was brave. I don't feel brave in the slightest.
Anyhow, whimpering aside, I'm fairly ready. I need to pack today and also would like to clean up my side of the bedroom since picking stuff up off the floor isn't going to be in the cards for a while. I have a small shopping list today (a 120v to USB adapter, gas x strips) but mostly I have everything I need.

I was so scared the few days before my surgery. I was eatting my last supper at the cheesecake factory with my best friend and I was like, I really, really, really don't want to do this. And she said you don't have to and I said, I don't know what else to do.

Bit the bullet and I did it. It was so scary and to be honest, the first year is not great. You read on the boards, its all rainbows and unicorns, but the first year was not, then, it got to be.

I think it's a miracle every day now.

It will be OK. Really. You are allowed to be scared, it's normal. But, you will be much happier when all is said and done.

Oh, I wish I asked for a room with a window at the hospital, so you might do that It was pretty cave like and I like sunshine.

First day finished. Been a pretty crappy and screwy day. Too tired to give a full acount. Anesthesia amnesia willing I'll give a full accounting in a few days. Underwhelmed with the facility and staff so far (have not met the docs yet).

Couldn't sleep for the last two days before leaving which probably did not help matters.
Started the day with my flight from St Louis to San Diego. I allowed 2 hours to get through check in and TSa, despite some less than cordial folks in STL, we were at the gate an hour and 45 minutes before our flight.Got the daughter something to eat and hung out. Flight wasn't that full .whi which was good. Lots of turbulence which wasn't. Arrived at San Diego about 15 minutes early. I went ahead and called MBC, spoke to Karla and told her we had arrived. She said she was going to find out where Ernesto was at and call me back. So we find one of the few seats available and wait. After about20 minutes Karla calls back and says Ernesto is already there and looking for someone else and is going to park the car and come looking for us. So we desert our seats and stand in the baggage claim. Once the feet start saying no mas (after about 40 minutes), we snagged some seats again. Another 20 minutes or so she calls back and says we need to go to the sidewalk and wait for him.
We waved Ernesto down when he drove by holding up a sign with my name on it. He seems pleasant enough, his speech impediment makes it hard to understand him but he seems like an okay guy. Turned out he had been at the airport for over an hour looking for the other patients he was to pick up.
So after a bit of stress we were enroute maybe half an hour later than expected.
I caught a catnap on the way to the hospital which had me feeling a little more human.
The hospital is dinky it sits on a quarter block or so and is I think 3 stories. There are a couple other'hospitals' within a couple blocks though they look much more disreputable. There isn't a lot of room inside and we were rushed pretty quickly through the pre-op tests. The next patient is coming through the door as soon as your test is done so being able to get put back together quickly is a plus. The young gal that was running us through the process was reasonably fluent but we ran into a few snags. I think the rush was in part because the hospital was packed and in part because the follies at the airport put us a bit behind schedule.
The experience wasn't just awful but it wasn't nearly as warm and fuzzy of an experience as the video depicted.
Got to the hotel, the desk clerk didn't speak much English. So it was a bit of hand waving to get things accomplished. For some reason they gave my 23 year old daughter and I a room with a single bed. The bellhop (never in my life have I been to a hotel with a bellhop) did speak excellent English. We struggled with the room service menu and then the hotel website trying to figure out where to get chicken broth. Finally we found chicken noodle soup at the "Los Portales" restaurant. After a bit of wandering around we found it. It said on the website that it was a casual place, but they had formal place settings. The waiter was super nice but obviously was working hard to converse in English. They had English language menus. I'd been working so hard on remembering "chicken noodle soup" in Spanish that I was a bit thrown when got there. Anyhow we order and he brings out the most lovely looking chicken noodle soup I have ever seen (daughters food looked great as well). I felt kinda terrible just eating the broth. He asked if I didn't like it and I explained that I was having surgery and I could only have the broth. He offered to bring me another bowl of just broth but I was already feeling full (there wasn't that much broth in the soup, I think at most I had about a cup). I'm assuming my stomach is a little off after a 15 hour fast.

Latest posts

Back