Do you exercise?

Settledownnow

Did you need to exercise to help you lose and also to maintain? If so, what do you do? I do not mean activities like house cleaning or gardening, I mean some type of "organized" exercise?

I am 6 months out and having a 4-week stall, and I am thinking my weight loss journey is over if I do not begin to exercise on a regular basis. Right now, my exercise is sporadic. If you exercise to lose or maintain, what are you doing and how much are you doing each week? I realize the responses will be unique just like everyone's DS is unique to them.

I do Jazzercise 6x a week (actually 4x I just lie to myself that I do 6x). Jazzercise works for me. You can do it at your own fitness level -- just keep moving. (I tried Zumba but I didn't like the music.) I also do a power walk most mornings while listening to Audible books unless it is raining or icy. Sunlight on my retinas is good for me.

Exercise is empowering, both mentally and physically. But truth to tell I hate going, but am always glad I did.

I do Jazzercise 6x a week (actually 4x I just lie to myself that I do 6x). .
]

You make me laugh! I hate exercise too, but feel better when it is over, lol. I actually feel better mentally and physically, but super glad when it is over too. My goal is to exercise in some way 3x per week, but it is a struggle to get myself to do it.

I used to run/walk, do triathlons, just swim now.

Did you need to exercise to help you lose and also to maintain? If so, what do you do? I do not mean activities like house cleaning or gardening, I mean some type of "organized" exercise?

I am 6 months out and having a 4-week stall, and I am thinking my weight loss journey is over if I do not begin to exercise on a regular basis. Right now, my exercise is sporadic. If you exercise to lose or maintain, what are you doing and how much are you doing each week? I realize the responses will be unique just like everyone's DS is unique to them.

Well...I'm at the same point as you. I think I need to start exercising more to get the weight off, now that I'm smaller. I have done lots and lots of exercise when I've dieted before. I mean a lot - like 4000 calories a week.

So, what I really found is that I need to do exercise I enjoy to make it me want to do it. I've been taking long walks and listening to podcasts and I'm so looking forward to the podcasts.

The other things that have worked for me in the past as exercise that i have like are spinning classes and Yoga. I have not found that i like much else - well, I love running, but 3 knee operations have stopped that.

So, the other thing that works well for me is having a walking buddy. I had one for a long time and we would talk 4 miles three times a week and that helped a lot too.

So, I guess the bottom line is find something you enjoy.

Good luck!

That's not being nosy. Don't mind helping. I swim 5 to 6 days a week. It all depends on what meet is coming up, what I'm swimming in that meet, distances, etc. I will also do weights and different stretches, etc. that I really don't count.

It is also not always the days you swim but what you put into it. If I swim all strokes and all distances up to and including the 500 free, I will take off a day. If it is a lot of stoke work, I'll go easy the next day. Hope that helps.

That's not being nosy. Don't mind helping. I swim 5 to 6 days a week. It all depends on what meet is coming up, what I'm swimming in that meet, distances, etc. I will also do weights and different stretches, etc. that I really don't count.

It is also not always the days you swim but what you put into it. If I swim all strokes and all distances up to and including the 500 free, I will take off a day. If it is a lot of stoke work, I'll go easy the next day. Hope that helps.

Impressive! You are very inspiring!

In terms of exercise for weight loss, docs have always told me the best one is pushing yourself away from the table. I saw a couple of studies years ago that men can indeed drop serious pounds through exercise alone; women, no. That muscle mass thing. But exercise will certainly help cardiac health and firm up areas underneath the loose skin (sigh).

What is your temperament, @Settledownnow ? I'm high energy and the slowness of yoga is torture to me (I feel the same way about getting a massage). I also like peppy music played loudly enough to drown out my panting.

Most exercise classes have a try a class free.

In terms of exercise for weight loss, docs have always told me the best one is pushing yourself away from the table. I saw a couple of studies years ago that men can indeed drop serious pounds through exercise alone; women, no. That muscle mass thing. But exercise will certainly help cardiac health and firm up areas underneath the loose skin (sigh).

Let me add some math. The math on weight (NOT DS) is pretty simple. One pound is 3,500 calories. You eat 3,500 calories more than you burn, you gain a pound, on the flip side, you eat 3,500 calories less than burn you lose a pound. It's very simple math. Women tend to burn 10 calories a day per pound of body weight. Men tend to burn around 12 calories a day per pound of body weight.

So, exercise does work. When I lost 117 pounds in 2003, I did it on shakes and ate 600 calories a day. I exercised on average 400 calories a day. I exercised a lot of the weight away. I lost a lot faster than I have with the DS. Of course I did not keep it off.

No to organized exercise.

I used to live in Manhattan so I have the 'walking thing' ingrained. I walk everywhere I can. Nowadays, I park far away from any store I'm going to and walk the distance. I also lift weights (not right now, though, as I'm recovering from wrist surgery. That's on hold till probably next Autumn).

Last edited:

What is your temperament, @Settledownnow ? I'm high energy and the slowness of yoga is torture to me (I feel the same way about getting a massage). I also like peppy music played loudly enough to drown out my panting.

Most exercise classes have a try a class free.

I get bored with doing the same repetitive exercises every day. I joined the local rec center, and I am doing a variety of drop-in group classes and will begin swimming just as soon as I can face buying a new bathing suit. I enjoy using weights, yoga, and pilates, but because I have a big watermelon for a stomach (DR) I have to be careful. No yoga, pilates or weights or anything that stresses the core. My personal exercise is to do "something" at least every other day.

I am back seeing my PT twice a week, mostly for lifting. And I'm buying a bike after my next few weekends of travel are over. But I've lost thusfar without much physical effort.

Latest posts

Back