Do You Daikon?

I've bought just regular red radishes and boiled them in chicken broth, then mash them up and they are a great potato substitute. The spicy radish flavor is gone when you boil them. I bet if I boiled them. Let them cool and then cut them in half they would be great in a mock potato salad

I kept reading about them, and finally found them (I think they are at the nearest market too but I couldn't find them there, and think they were called something other than daikon).

I shredded it, put it raw in some liquid I took from my saurkraut (real fermented kraut - the kind with tons of probiotics, not the storebought vinegar stuff) and marinated that in the fridge for just a day.

Loved it. I'll try it done similarly again, but with different marinades and dressings.

First real experiment. Daikon hash browns. I diced them up and tasted them raw. Tasted like a mild radish to me. Sat and thought about what I could do to make it taste more potatoey. I dumped it in a pot, added some pepper and chicken bouillon powder and boiled for about 15 minutes. It did taste a lot more like a potato. I drained it in a collander over night and squeezed out all the liquid I could the next morning. Then I put it in a big skillet with butter, oil, salt, and pepper and fried.

They did get brown but not really crispy. I thought they tasted pretty good. I served it up with a cheese omelet. My test subject was a low carber. He liked them and is willing to try my next experiment, Daikon 'Potato' Salad.

I do think adding bouillon powder was a good idea.

The best daikon I have found in Las Vegas is at Market 168 at Jones and DI. They also had great prices on knuckle roast and that may have been the best beef I have ever eaten. In that same strip mall is a Russian grocery that has veal bologna, Armenian coffee, chocolate to die for and other amazing things too. AND OMG...Gypsy Bacon! If you are going anyway, check it out!

Sadly I've never found any low-carb replacement for the crispy potato.. I do like using turnips, rutabaga (bit higher) and have also roasted radishes in the oven, just like roasting all the other veggies- oil, high heat.. till done. For flavor- turnips cut in 50/50 or so with potatoes is a good way to get the carbs down while keeping flavor up. Daikon I've only till now had raw in various ways. Bet roasted & mashed, would work like turnips.

Latest posts

Back